FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6674 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 5
27 December 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I have noticed that in languages which I haven't studied for a while, I struggle with active skills (speaking and writing) but still have pretty good skills in the passive (listening and reading). Has anyone else found this, and if so, why do you think it may be?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 2 of 5
27 December 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I think it boils down to passive skills being easier to acquire, and being easier to acquire they are also easier to maintain. I also think active skills are, to a large degree, built on top of passive skills. You don't start to use a new word or a new expression until you've heard it enough times that you feel confident you know what it means and when to use it.

Edited by Levi on 27 December 2010 at 5:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4909 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 3 of 5
28 December 2010 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
I think passive skills last longer. I can barely stumble through a single word in Spanish, but I can read and understand it far better. Of course, Spanish has a lot of cognates so that might have something to do with it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6758 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 5
28 December 2010 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica, for what it's worth, I had the same experience as you. I put off German for a few years to study Japanese, and when I recently got back to German, I found that I could read with the same ease as if I had been studying yesterday, but I couldn't put together even the simplest of sentences (basic words like 'need' and 'soon' wouldn't come to mind). Even more mysteriously, although I had lost at least 90% of my active command of vocabulary, my active command of the grammar (i.e. my ability to line up words and conjugate words correctly) remained completely intact.

Maybe our almost-forgotten vocabulary works something like an old memory or dream which you can't recall on your own, but if you see or hear something to trigger that memory, it all comes flooding back and you can recall it as clear as day.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 28 December 2010 at 5:38am

tracker465
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 5
28 December 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:

Maybe our almost-forgotten vocabulary works something like an old memory or dream which you can't recall on your own, but if you see or hear something to trigger that memory, it all comes flooding back and you can recall it as clear as day.

I think it might work something like that. I have only spoken German sporadically throughout the past three years, and have written it more than that, but not for several months. I recently read an autobiography written in German and had no problems understanding it, but sometimes would see and then "remember" expressions which I had "forgotten" due to my disuse of German. I feel confident, however, that if I spent a few days in Germany, it would come flooding back.

I once new a guy who studied German at a university. He had visited Germany several times, and was apparently had a very good command of the language. In Washington state, however, he barely managed to practice speaking so he would always go to Germany with a stronger passive skill, but after a week or so, his active skills would emerge again.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version