Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

German in 1 week. Jk, more like 10 years.

Tags: German | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 9 of 13
16 January 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Hello! Okay for German I've been continuing with Michel Thomas, Lingq, and Warum nicht. I'm making steady progress, hopefully my German keeps improving. At the moment I still can only compose simple sentences like the ones in my above post. But the grammar is still transparent, hopefully it stays that way! My dad has this great German word family dictionary. It has tons of German word roots in it, and under each root is the list of words that share that root. It gives the gender and translation of what the words mean, which makes learning vocabulary a little easier.

For French, I'm thinking of challenging the grade 10, 11, and 12 French as a second language course test. Even though I'm homeschooled, I'm still affiliated with a school so hopefully they'll allow that. If and when I take the tests I'll be sure to write about the results.
1 person has voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 10 of 13
21 January 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Hallo :P wie geht es ihnen? Ich bin sehr gut weil ich etwas habe. Es ist ein gutes Buch. Das Buch habt viel Pokemon!!! Wissen sie Pokemon? Ich weiss Pokemon und es ist AWESOME. Ich liebe offiziell Pokemon. Und ich habe viel Pokemon, mein Bruder habt auch sehr viel.

Okay, hopefully that paragraph wasn't too atrocious...

:D I'm having a lot of fun shouting out German sentences in the most stereotypical German accent I can think of. "NEIN, DAS IST NICHT SEHR GUT SO!" Out of all the words I know, "Sehr" is my favourite. It's so fun to say, SEHHHHR, ich bin SEHR MÜDE. I don't know... There is just something about German!

ashby
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5065 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 13
21 January 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Good job, keep it up. I've been wondering if you keep any kind of a log to track your progress, maybe how many hours you've spent learning so far. I am fan of stats that's why I am curious:) Anyways, German is a cool language. Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 12 of 13
27 January 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Hey, thanks for the comment :) No I haven't but I can start now :P I think I can estimate the amount of time I've spent, and I'll continue from there.

For German, I've finished the first Warum Nicht course, all without pauses, so the time spent on that should be roughly 6 hours over the course of these weeks. For Michel Thomas, I've spent 30 minutes a day exactly. I started on the 28th of December, so that's about 15 hours on that. So 21 hours so far, I also spend about 15 minutes reading on Lingq everyday, so that's 7.5 hours, which makes 28.5 hours of German. For the first week (more or less?) of my German, I went through some of a textbook for about 1 hour everyday, I stopped after that week though (too tiring :P) but I'll count that too. So all in all I've spent roughly 35.5 hours on German. I seem to be progressing really slowly, but as long as I keep going I think I'll be okay.

And for French, I've spent countless hours on it. But I've tried to get in at least 1 hour everyday since I started in summer. So... A LOT OF HOURS hahaha. I think for some extra French practice I'll write this log in English and French. Anyone who speaks French and would like to correct me or anything is welcome to :)

Edited by CheeseInsider on 27 January 2011 at 6:44am

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 13 of 13
08 February 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
J'ai finis Michel Thomas :) J'ai décidé que je vais l'utiliser encore une fois, et après j'utiliserai la "vocabulary
builder" et "advanced course". Et je vais continuer avec Warum Nicht, ça m'a aidé beaucoup. Specialment avec
l'écoute. Je ne peux pas encore parler l’allemande, mais peut-être après tous ces cours et beaucoup des leçons
Lingq, je vais avoir une vocabulaire suffisant de parler avec des gens l'allemende... Mais probablement pas :P

I finished Michel Thomas, the foundation course. I think I'm going to go through it once more, and then after I'll
use the vocabulary builder and advanced course. And of course, I'm going to continue with Warum nicht, I think
it's helped me out a lot, especially with my listening. I can't speak German (yet), but maybe after all these courses
and a lot of reading on Lingq, I'll have a large enough vocabulary to speak with German people... But probably
not hahaha :P

Edited by CheeseInsider on 08 February 2011 at 8:48pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version