United States
Joined 5304 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
29 December 2010 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
New year, new start!

Here is my previous log:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18397&PN=3&TPN=1

This year I will be dabbling with four languages outside of the classroom. Time and experience has shown that I
am really quite awful at self-study. I learn best when I have people to compete with, and my internal laziness
brings all learning to a standstill during breaks and any other time when I don't have classmates in my immediate
vicinity to compare myself against. I am hoping this year to change that and get better at making time to study
without the peacock's impulse to show off to others for motivation.

So the languages I will be working on:

Modern Standard Arabic - my goal here is only to maintain, as I need to direct my energies towards learning new
information for other languages for these few months.

Ancient Greek - I've forgotten all of it, and now I'm starting from zero again. I have faith that the going will not
be too rough, because although I still have to expend effort to memorize cases anew, etc, everything seems
hazily familiar to me. Rings some bells - distant bells, to be sure, but bells nonetheless. Aiming for a comfortable
reading proficiency but first I must finish reviewing my old, tattered Hansen and Quinn.

French - I really have very little background in French, but I desperately need to gain reading proficiency for my
major. So reading in French it is. Sprachprofi mentioned /French for Reading/, which I'll check out when I get
back to my library of preference.

German - Last year I was going to dabble a bit in German but I never did. A year wasted! When I could have been
making headway towards reading proficiency in Deutsch! Another language I need for my major, although I'll be
satisfied with gaining working proficiency in French first. That's my primary goal for this year. I probably won't be
working much if at all on German because I don't want to mix my languages up, which is easy for me to do at the
early stages even when the languages are very different.

That's it. No wanderlust allowed; I have too much academic work to wander in. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm
going to go review some Ancient Greek.

Edited by annette on 29 December 2010 at 3:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5304 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 2 of 4
29 December 2010 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
So far today I have reviewed a little bit of Anc Greek (the verb forms are slooooooowly coming back), and I also
did
lesson 1 of the online French materials at Carnegie Mellon, a link to which I found somewhere here on HTLAL.
http://oli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning/forstudents/freecourses/ french

I live with three French majors so I predict that I'll be practicing my elementary French quite frequently in the
days
to come!

Now I need to make my grammar reference charts for Anc Grk for easier memorization.

ETA: Life looks brighter! The French for reading course offered by my university fits almost perfectly in my
schedule; I only have to skip one of my big lectures once a week. So if I can do French in school, that leaves only
Arabic to maintain and Ancient Greek to review/relearn, which is a LOT more manageable for me than three
languages. Of course I am continuing my other two academically. (Incidentally, my course schedule for the
spring now looks like three languages, a math lecture, and three humanities lectures. That's a lot for my uni!
However, I'm going to take the languages for sure and so even if I audited those, I'd be doing the same amount
of work. The math lecture is also definitely for credit as is one of the humanities. I'd love to take all my courses
for credit, but I suspect that I shall have to audit the remaining two. We'll see when the syllabi come out.)

Edited by annette on 29 December 2010 at 8:04am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4881 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 4
29 December 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Hello annette! I have similar goals in Ancient Greek: to refresh the old stuff and go ahead step by step, and I, too, have a lot of to do at university. It's always and everywhere the same, but for me Greek is not compulsory...
Good luck for the next year and I'm going to follow your log for your progress in Ancient Greek and I may also help with German if you're going to work on it.

annette
United States
Joined 5304 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 4 of 4
01 January 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the luck and good luck to you too! It's always cheering to see other people working on Ancient Greek
in their own time. My university has a surprisingly large amount of Classics majors but nobody I know working
through the classical languages on their own!

Greek - I reviewed more verbs, have been visiting relatives w/little time for anything else. Next few days will
probably also contain only incremental amounts of review as I apply for jobs and study programs, but I hope to get
back up to a steady pace after this last round of applications.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version