cazgram
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 12
07 January 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
So...currently chugging away with Assimil. I'm on Lesson 20 of 140. I have the older "French without Toil" version, so some of the topics feel a little dated. Same verbs though... I wonder how much language changes from generation to generation...is it mostly nouns that get renamed, and informal phrases with special "implied" meaning?

I've been playing around with Smart.Fm. I went back to Anki after playing a bit with Smart.Fm, and Anki feels very static. I've heard people say that Anki just helps you remember, but doesn't help you learn. I kind of see that, because I have a very hard time learning vocab with just Anki.

I like Smart.Fm, because it builds up rather than just testing one thing over and over. I like how it moves through French to English/English to French with multiple choice, which helps build your confidence that you know it...then finally it makes you generate it yourself, with a fairly strict character recognition. I'd say the main difference for me between SmartFM and Anki is the multiple choice option. I know some people don't like multiple choice, but I think it helps me learn, rather than just testing me.

I think maybe the perfect flash program for me would take 5-7 words at a time and throw the them in to the multiple choice option, then once you reached high enough accuracy, would test them with the 5-7 word grouping. Once you passed the 5-7 word target-base-target test, then it would output those in to an SRS, which you could then review at leisure.
1 person has voted this message useful

Violette
United States
Joined 4869 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 10 of 12
07 January 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Bonjour, Cazgram!

Regarding focus...
There may be patterns to when your magic focus times happen.
It helps me to pay attention to when my "stronger" times are in the day. I seem to have different times of day that work best for mental, physical, social, etc. activities. For example, since I have more physical energy in the morning, I actually cook dinner at that time (I know I will be too tired to cook at dinner time ;-P ).
Also, there may be other factors that contribute to your focus: hunger or having eaten too recently, sugar/caffeine, sleep,
too much or too little noise/commotion around you, etc.

Keep at it! Bonne chance! =)

Edited by Violette on 07 January 2011 at 2:52am

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4921 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
07 January 2011 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Have you tried Pimsleur? If you commute by car, it can work really well. but you have to repeat phrases
and speak out loud a lot, so it doesn't work too well on public transportation . . . Unless you enjoy getting
weird looks from your fellow passengers! Each lesson is half an hour, and you learn a lot. Good luck!

cazgram
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes

Message 12 of 12
11 January 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Yesterday and today I didn't do much, with life's distractions. I'm currently around Lesson 24 of Assimil, and while playing with FIA over the weekend, I reached the middle of Lesson 9 in the workbook. It's not so bad if I don't put pressure on myself to finish anything in FIA.

I worked on LingQ for a while and was at the very least interested. It seems to be what I already try do, but on a larger, more refined scale. I tried to load my Harry Potter stuff on there, but was foiled by something...still not sure what. It seems like LingQ is good for intermediate levels where only 10-20% of vocab is guessing, or else everything is very easy-graded readers. I find that if I am looking up too many words, I lose the gist of the story too many times, then I get bored.

Spent the weekend with a friend who's from near Luxembourg. She's heading out for a bit, but when she gets back in to town with her husband, we're hoping to exchange English <-> French lessons. Her husband is still beginner/low-intermediate in English, so we might just hang out and point at stuff together...but it's worth a shot.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version