Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1 of 80
29 December 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to my new log for 2011!

I've been named in the Hungarian team for TAC which is very exciting because I know it will give me extra motivation for Hungarian. Despite this excitement and my intention to take this challenge very seriously, I also have some other very important language goals for this year. Here is my list, in order of importance (at this time) for the year.

CZECH
I've lived in the Czech Republic for 3 1/2 years now and have a Czech wife, Czech friends and family. I'm intensively immersed in the language every day and I love it!

Current level - Solid C1.
Target - improve and become as natural as possible (maybe C2 could be possible but I have a lot of respect for the definition of this level so I won't be claiming it lightly).
Resources - Native material - Novels, newspapers, TV, films, radio, life.

SPANISH
I've studied Spanish off and on for 7 years and I've spent a total of about 7 months in high intensity language immersion environments in Belize, Guatemala and Costa Rica, plus several other months in low intensity language situations in Spain and South America.

Current level - B2
Target - Take a CEFR exam in May, probably the B2 one because I think I'd have a low chance of success in the C2 and the C1 doesn't exist here.
To reach a comfortable C1 level.
Resources - Conversation with native Spanish speaking friends plus with my wife, TY Perfect Your Spanish course pack. Several Spanish films.

HUNGARIAN
Originally my target was only to get to a get by stage ready for my trip to Hungary in February but now I've decided to focus on Hungarian permanently.

Current level - Nothing
Target - B1
Resources - This forum hopefully will be valuable as I intend to interact with other Hungarian learners during the JANUARY HUNGARIAN CHALLENGE and also with my teammate LAPISLAZULI too. I also have TY Hungarian course package and a Czech- Hungarian phrasebook. I'm very open to more resource options and intend to buy some native material in February.

MANDARIN
I've been battling against Mandarin for a year now despite never having had a conversation in the language. This fact saps my motivation for the language and I hope to get together with some speakers this year.
Current level - A1
Target - solid A2
Resources - Lots of Berlitz courses and other books, plus the internet.

RUSSIAN
I've shown great restaint to hold off my urge to study Russian for a long time now as I've always had more important language goals to focus on. I've decided to hold off until May when I take my Spanish exam; after that I'm finally diving into the language and I expect its importance to shoot up as the year progresses.
Current level - Nothing/few phrases and words
Target - B1
Resources - My wife has a very good passive knowledge of the language and intends to refresh her active skills soon so I'll practise with her. The Czech self-study course - LEDA. A few Russians and Ukrainians around to practise with.

So my plan for active study time is as follows -
JANUARY - Hungarian 75%, Spanish 20%, Mandarin 5%.
FEBRUARY - Spanish 50%, Hungarian 45%, Mandarin 5%.
MARCH- MAY - Spanish 75%, Hungarian 20%, Mandarin 5%.
MAY - DECEMBER - Russian 40%, Hungarian 40%, Spanish 10%, Mandarin 10%.

This is a very vague estimate but should more or less hold true. I won't be actively studying Czech but I'm hoping that just living in the language and actively seeking out native Czech material will have an impact. I'll probably be able to give a minumum of 8 hours a week to studying languages, plus many hours existing in them in Czech, Spanish and hopefully later in the year in Russian.

Sorry if this was a bit long. My future posts will be a lot shorter as I'm wasting too much time that I could be giving to my languages!

Edited by hribecek on 29 December 2010 at 7:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6821 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 2 of 80
30 December 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Sok sikért kivánok!

For Hungarian you could also look into the FSI-courses, they have a lot for Hungarian at all different levels (a bit boring but I guess quite useful to complement your studies) And do you already know www.magyarora.com? This is a site for Hungarian-learners with lots of resources.

I am already looking forward to an inspiring year in the Hungarian-Team!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 3 of 80
30 December 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
@Lapislazuli
köszönöm, most nem tudok magyarul, de remélek hamarosan igen!
I don't know the site you recommended but I'm sure it will help me a lot, thank you very much. I will look into the FSI courses too although for now I'll stick with TY and the website you said plus films etc., at least until February.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 4 of 80
07 January 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
My first week of 2011 can be summed up in more or less one word - HUNGARIAN.

I've been studying the language like crazy whenever I've had a spare moment, I really want to test my capabilities to learn a new language now that I've got a couple of other languages behind me and have the big motivation of being in the Hungarian team, doing the Hungarian January challenge and having a trip to Hungary to look forward to in February.

My studies have mainly been through TY Hungarian, of which I've worked through and reviewed the first 5 lessons thoroughly. I've also used the website recommended to me (above) by my teammate Lapislazuli for vocabulary and been writing and translating in the Hungarian challenge thread in the multilingual lounge. I feel like I've fallen in love with the language and culture but I hope it's not just wanderlust and will be here to stay!

As for my other languages, I've watched a few Czech movies and spoken Czech a lot so it's been a productive week with that language but the others have been neglected a bit. For Mandarin I've just done Anki reviews and for Spanish next to nothing.

For Spanish I have found out though that a new C1 exam is possible in Prague now so I can take that instead of having to decide between B2 AND C2 (probably too easy vs probably too hard). So I should really get back to studying Spanish again soon.

I should also mention my christmas holidays in England. For 2 weeks I spoke more or less only Spanish with my wife which was obviously great and makes me feel less guilty for rejecting it in favour of Hungarian for the week since I got back.   

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 5 of 80
13 January 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I unintentionally created a unique language experience for myself this week. I was studying Hungarian through Czech while speaking to my wife in Spanish and her replying in English! Four languages at the same time was a new one for me and after I realised it, I repeated it a lot over the following days. If only I'd had a Mandarin film playing on TV too!

So I've studied as much Hungarian as I had time for again this week (it was a busy week so only about 1-2 hours a day), I've got through TY units 6 and 7 but I need to repeat unit 7 a couple of times to drill it in. Unfortunately it seems that the interest in the January Hungarian challenge has waned, although personally I'm still very serious about it and intend to fulfill all of my stated goals for it. I've studied vocabulary and done a lot of repeating and listening.

I'm now ready to try skype calls so if anybody's reading this who speaks Hungarian, let me know!

There are some words that I've been really struggling to commit to memory so I'll write them here to hopefully give them an extra stimulus.

Kíváncsi - Curious
Szomjas - thirsty
viszont - same to you
először - firstly
hely - seat
vastag - fat
eladó - sales assistant
menjen egyenesen - go straight on
bélyeg - stamp
szőlő - grapes
uszoda - swimming pool
kevés - a few
szokott - like soler in Spanish
gyalog - on foot
felad - send
körút - way
vélemény - opinion
könnyű - easy
folytat - continue

So maybe that will help! Correct me if any of those are wrong.

Despite my quite intensive studying of Hungarian and speaking Spanish at home, Czech has still probably received the most exposure as I watch a film almost every night, plus watch a soap opera every day and speak Czech during a lot of the day.

Mandarin had to make do with only Anki reviews.

Edited by hribecek on 13 January 2011 at 5:18pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 6 of 80
28 January 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
It's been 2 weeks since my last update, mainly because I wanted to feel like I've really achieved something in my languages before posting. Also because I've been writing quite a lot on the Hungarian January challenge thread and didn't feel the need to write here.

HUNGARIAN
Again most of my focus has been here, I've completed TY units 8-10 since my last update, but have also read further ahead a lot and studied stuff like the past tense, possessives, comparatives and prepositions. These are all covered in later units but I was too impatient to wait.

I've now written 4 out of the 5 January challenge texts, each between about 200 - 300 words. This really helps me with vocabulary and Maxval's corrections are invaluable. Also interest in the thread seems to have increased a little which is a good motivator.

I've been speaking to myself when walking to work and back and at other times, but I still lack some basic vocabulary so it's difficult. I've been doing vocabulary sessions and this has helped me a lot, I know about 600 words (be, was, were, been, am, is, will, would etc. all count as the same one word) and would like to push it up another 100-200 before I go to Hungary on the 6th February.

I'm already planning a second trip in July or August.

SPANISH
I've upped my work-rate in Spanish a fair bit since my lazy previous week of Hungarian obsession. I've spoken a lot and I watched 'Di que sí' which must be the fastest Spanish I've ever heard! I struggled to understand a lot of it, so I need to watch it a couple more times. I also watched 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' in Hungarian with Spanish subtitles and was pleased to find out that I understood all of the subtitles (this was a good thing because I understood about 1% of the Hungarian!).

CZECH
There's not enough time in the day! I'd love to read a book every week in Czech but I just haven't had time in the last few weeks since I started with Hungarian. Even though I speak, read and mainly hear Czech all day, every day, I still feel like I'm neglecting it.

MANDARIN
The biggest victim of the rise of Hungarian. Only Anki recently and now my computer is broken I can't even do that! I'll only be able to do a bit of Anki at work a few times a week now probably.

I've noticed that my progress and passion for Hungarian far outweighs the progress and passion I had at the same stage with Mandarin. I think it's all because of the writing allowing me a much more interactive experience here on the forums than Chinese characters do. The motivation of going to Hungary undoubtedly also plays a big part. My Mandarin is still better than my Hungarian but it won't be for long.

Edited by hribecek on 28 January 2011 at 4:39pm

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5194 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 7 of 80
28 January 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Szia Hribecek !

For memorizing the vocabulary, I use the website www.vokker.net. Although you do not speak German, it's really simple. You put vocabulary eg Czech / Hungarian and then you can revise them , make cards etc. Really useful :)

Szióka
Kisfröccs
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 8 of 80
28 January 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:
Szia Hribecek !

For memorizing the vocabulary, I use the website www.vokker.net. Although you do not speak German, it's really simple. You put vocabulary eg Czech / Hungarian and then you can revise them , make cards etc. Really useful :)

Szióka
Kisfröccs

Thanks Kisfroccs
I know you recommended that site to me before but I thought the German would be a problem, but if you say it's very simple then I'll do it for sure.
Thanks again

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version