Joined 5194 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 17 of 80
20 March 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
HUNGARIAN
It's probably a bad thing but I've been a little bit obsessed with Hungarian for 2 1/2 months now and it is affecting everything else in my life! Spanish has been a little neglected (and a lot more than I planned back in December), my wife really hates the sound of the language (a complete contrast to me) and forbids me to speak it or listen to it when she's around!

Despite these negative effects, I still feel completely happy with studying it and won't be cutting down at all.

A little bit obsessed ? :) I think all people who study Hungarian get a bit obsessed in the end, I absolutely understand your feeling. Last year when I started to learn Hungarian and had just get a new book which I could learn with, I loaded all the tracks on my iPod and listened to it while in town. I guess I must have switched in "a Hungarian" mood because when a stranger asked me his way I responded back in French, then switched to German because he seemed not to understand what I said. Turned out I was speaking with so a weird accent that he thought I was a stranger myself.

I was so absorbed with my Hungarian, that I unvolontarely spoke French and German with an Hungarian accent. That was a weird feeling because I had the impression not knowing my mothertongues :p.

And I have to refrein me to speak to Hungarian guys each time I hear one speaking in town. Lately though, it's getting better :) and I have the feeling, the obsession is getting "down". (But not my enthousiasm in learning the language!)

Kisfröccs
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 18 of 80
20 March 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:

A little bit obsessed ? :) I think all people who study Hungarian get a bit obsessed in the end, I absolutely understand your feeling. Last year when I started to learn Hungarian and had just get a new book which I could learn with, I loaded all the tracks on my iPod and listened to it while in town. I guess I must have switched in "a Hungarian" mood because when a stranger asked me his way I responded back in French, then switched to German because he seemed not to understand what I said. Turned out I was speaking with so a weird accent that he thought I was a stranger myself.

I was so absorbed with my Hungarian, that I unvolontarely spoke French and German with an Hungarian accent. That was a weird feeling because I had the impression not knowing my mothertongues :p.

And I have to refrein me to speak to Hungarian guys each time I hear one speaking in town. Lately though, it's getting better :) and I have the feeling, the obsession is getting "down". (But not my enthousiasm in learning the language!)

Kisfröccs

I'm glad you suffered from the same obsession, it's probably my favourite obsession that I've ever had!

I haven't had the Hungarian accent experience yet but have had some occasions when I've automatically started to think in Hungarian when about to answer someone in either Spanish, Czech or even English. It's great that it has managed to gain such a presence in my head.

You're so lucky that you hear Hungarians in the street. I think I would probably follow them down the street and become their stalker!

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5194 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 19 of 80
20 March 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
I'm glad you suffered from the same obsession, it's probably my favourite obsession that I've ever had!

I haven't had the Hungarian accent experience yet but have had some occasions when I've automatically started to think in Hungarian when about to answer someone in either Spanish, Czech or even English. It's great that it has managed to gain such a presence in my head.

You're so lucky that you hear Hungarians in the street. I think I would probably follow them down the street and become their stalker!

I think a nearly stalked them :). This is probably why I stopped it after a while, feeling a bit weird. In Switzerland I think I encounter all 3 months people speaking Hungarian.
20'000 fleed from Hungary in 1956 to Switzerland (there's a memorial in Sargans) and I think they are a vivid community : http://cilike.ch/. I even went to a mass (Messe ?) half Hungarian, half French. While I'm not streng catholic and going to the mass every sunday, this one was really great :). At the end, there was a little market with lot of Hungarian things... and of course people.

In my town, I know at least 4 - 5 Hungarian families, and an exchange student, but I haven't contacted them as I'm short money and time... maybe in some months.

Kisfröccs

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 20 of 80
20 March 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:

20'000 fleed from Hungary in 1956 to Switzerland (there's a memorial in Sargans) and I think they are a vivid community : http://cilike.ch/. I even went to a mass (Messe ?) half Hungarian, half French. While I'm not streng catholic and going to the mass every sunday, this one was really great :). At the end, there was a little market with lot of Hungarian things... and of course people.

In my town, I know at least 4 - 5 Hungarian families, and an exchange student, but I haven't contacted them as I'm short money and time... maybe in some months.

Kisfröccs

MASS is correct.

I don't know anybody who speaks Hungarian in my little Czech town. I need to make some Hungarian skype friends. I really don't like the word HUNGARIAN, it should be MAGYAR or something similar, from now on I'm going to call it Magyar here, maybe.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 21 of 80
25 March 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
This week, following my multi-lingual attempt last week, I'll mainly write in Spanish because I feel like I need to do something extra in that language after not doing anything in it for a couple of days.

I'll also do a bit in Hungarian, just because I love it so much! The Spanish will be without some Spanish letters because I don't know how to do them on this keyboard.

ESPANOL
Esta semana tengo espanol como mi primera idioma en este post, pero no significa que lo estudié más que húngaro, lo hago solo porque espanol es el idioma de este post.

Lo más importante que he hecho esta semana es que preparé y hice una presentacion sobre una historia en los Estados Unidos. Un hombre fue de vacaciones y cuando volvio, no podia encontrar su casa porque las autoridades la derumbaron por error!

Me siento como mi espanol necesita más estudios y que tengo que hablarlo más, pero al mismo tiempo tengo mucha pasion para húngaro y también quiero que mi checo sea lo mejor posible. Entonces en casa, suelo hablar checo y estudio húngaro y de vez en cuando unas palabras y oraciones escapan de mi boca en espanol! Desafortunadamente, no hay bastante horas en el día. Por eso, sé que todavia voy a seguir así, pero es posible que pueda hacer cosas como esta para practicar un poco más, por lo menos un poco más cada semana.

Sería mejor si mi mujer no fuera tan perezosa con los idiomas, creo que tiene más talento para los idiomas que yo, pero solo le interesa inglés y no tiene ganas do hablar conmigo ni estudiar espanol.

English translation -
SPANISH
This week I have Spanish as my first language in this post, but it doesn't mean that I studied it more than Hungarian, I'm only doing it because Spanish is the language of this post.

The most important thing that I've done this week in Spanish is prepare and make a presentation about a story in the United States. A man went on holiday and when he came back, he couldn't find his house because the authorities had knocked it down by accident!

I feel like my Spanish needs more study and that I have to speak more, but at the same time I have a lot of passion for Hungarian and I also want my Czech to be as good as possible. So at home, I usually speak Czech and study Hungarian and from time to time a few words or sentences escape from my mouth in Spanish! Unfortunately, there aren't enough hours in the day. For that reason I know that I'll still continue this way, but it's possible that I could do things like this to practise, at least a little more each week.

It would be better if my wife wasn't so lazy with languages, I think that she is more talented in languages than me, but she's only interested in English and can't be bothered to speak to me in or study Spanish.

CHECO
Como cada semana, miraba las telenovelas - La calle y la cirurgía en un jardín rosado - y también unas peliculas. La diferencia esta semana era que traducí una historia de inglés a checo para alguien de este forum - 7tongues - esto divertí y me sorprendí que lo pude hacer tan facilmente y sin problema.

English translation -
CZECH
Like every week, I watched the soap operas - The street and the surgery in a pink garden - and also some films. The difference this week was that I translated a story from English into Czech for somebodz from this forum - 7tongues - I enjoyed this and surprised myself with how easily I managed it without problem.

MAGYAR
Ebben a héten, mint minden hét, tanultam sokat magyarul. Ímádom a nyelvet, de ezt már tudjátok! A TY könyvemben a tizonhátodik égységet befejeztem és a többit megismételtem. Írtam valamit a magyar threadben és szerencsére Maxval azt javításta. Minden nap a Kossuth rádiót hallgatom és azt hiszem, hogy már értem jobban mint egy hónappal ezelőtt, még csak 5-10%, de nekem elég! Alig várom a napot, amikor már a többségét értem.

English translation -
MAGYAR
This week, like every week, I studied Hungarian a lot. I adore the language, but you already know that! I finished the 16th chapter of my TY book and repeated the others. I wrote something on the Hungarian thread and luckily for me Maxval corrected it. I listen to Kossuth radio every day and I think that now I understand more than I did a month ago, still only 5-10% but it's enough for me! I'm looking forward to the day when I understand the majority.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 22 of 80
01 April 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't have time to write in my foreign languages this week as it takes so long to translate them into English afterward. If I could just write in say Spanish then I would but as far as I'm aware we have to write in English here, so that just takes too long. Maybe next time.

By my highly motivated standards I've been quite under-motivated this week due to a family bereavement. I haven't been able to concentrate very well and my mind keeps drifting off, although I have to thank my languages for being a really nice distraction from real life this week.

Despite the difficult week, I've somehow managed to more or less maintain my quantity of hours and in the case of Spanish I've even increased it a bit.

SPANISH
My most interesting language of the week, I am even able to remember how many hours I spent on it.

-I attended my Tuesday evening class and did my homework before that = 2 hours.
-I watched the film 'Biutiful' = 2 1/2 hours
-I listened to 2 short stories (the ones I read a couple of weeks ago) = 1 hour.
-I exchanged a couple of longish emails = 1 hour

So altogether about 6 1/2 hours, not including the scattering of spoken sentences during the week and various other bits and pieces. I'm quite pleased with my efforts in Spanish this week.

MAGYAR
My passion is still going strong in Hungarian and shows no sign of fading.

-I finished unit 17 of TY Hungarian, 4 left.
-I wrote a few times on the Hungarian thread and Maxval provided the usual much appreciated corrections.
-I listened to Kossuth Radio a lot and am listening to it right now too!
-I studied vocabulary on vokker.net, I have something like 70 words there so far, but I'm very careful about which words I put on there and I learn it from Hungarian into Hungarian, so for example the word for horse has the description 'important animal for man' in Hungarian so I get to practise Hungarian while learning Hungarian!
-I've started translating a simple English book for low level foreigners into Hungarian. This is really good practice and I make sure I read it aloud.

CZECH
Maybe Czech was the biggest loser this week as due to my lack of motivation and having to talk about problems and serious stuff, I spoke mainly in English. I still watched TV programs in Czech and spoke a bit every day but just the usual daily life stuff.

OTHER
I can't remember if I've written it here before but I do also kind of learn Slovak every week too. I have a Slovak TV channel which I watch sometimes (I understand about 80%) and lately I've been watching Czechoslovakian Superstar which is presented and judged etc. half in Czech and half in Slovak so I've learned a fair few Slovak words that way.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 23 of 80
12 April 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't do my usual Friday update because I was in England and didn't have much internet access. I probably wouldn't have written anyway because from Thursday to Sunday I did very little language study in England as I was with my family speaking English most of the time.

MAGYAR

The main victim during these 4 days was Hungarian, in comparison to how much focus I usually give it. Before the trip and since I got back I've dedicated myself as usual to my favourite language but during those 4 days I probably did about 15 minutes a day of Hungarian, applying the philosophy that anything is better than nothing. I've been studying unit 18 from my TY book but the book seems to have taken a step up now and so I want to review it a couple more times before I claim to have completed it.

So since my last update on Friday the 1st April I've probably managed about 10-12 hours of Hungarian.

ESPANOL

No he estudiado mucho, porque no habia mucho tiempo. No podia ir a mi clase y no vi ninguna pelicula.

En Inglaterra el viernes y sabado por la manana, masomenos una hora estudiaba en la cama con mi mujer, nos probamos del vocabulario y charlamos.

Espero que, despues de la semana que viene, pueda escribir aqui que haya estudiado mucho!

(ENGLISH translation - I haven't studied much, because there wasn't much time. I couldn't go to my class and I didn't see any films.
In England on Friday and Saturday morning, I studied in bed for more or less an hour with my wife, we tested each other on our vocabulary and chatted.
I hope that after next week I'll be able to say that I've studied a lot.)

OTHER

Everything was neglected a bit including Czech which was restricted to a bit of television and a fair amount of conversation. I learned a couple more Slovak words when watching 'Československo hledá superstar'.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5134 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 24 of 80
15 April 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Just a quick update to get me back to my regular Friday update routine after my irregular past 2 weeks.

MAGYAR

Pretty much all my free time has been focused on Hungarian this week. Since my last update on Tuesday, I've finished chapter 18 and started chapter 19 of my TY book; that took probably 2-3 hours of study.

I've also started translating a story I wrote into Hungarian and posting it on the Hungarian thread in the Multilingual Lounge, I've posted 2 chapters so far, which took about 2 hours altogether. I've also been listening to the radio and speaking to myself. I think I'm improving slowly but surely, my target of B1 by the beginning of July is possible. Currently I think I'm a quite solid A2 for writing and reading and a high A1/low A2 for speaking and listening. Overall a below average A2.

I need a language exchange buddy!

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version