Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6818 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 25 of 80
15 April 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I am quite impressed with you progress, and I have no doubt you will find the motivation to go on like this. What you wrote about obsession with Hungarian is a phenomenon that I have also discovered. Not only in me but also in others. Since I started learning Hungarian I met lots of otheres who also did so, and they all were really in love with Hungarian. (those who were not, got frustrated at some point and stopped studying it) So I think obsession plays a more important factor in learning Hungarian then it plays with most other languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 26 of 80
15 April 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
You might be right about this phenomenon belonging to Hungarian.

I studied Czech even more obsessively than Hungarian for the first 2 years but it wasn't really about the Czech language, it was the dream of knowing what it's like to speak a foreign language fluently and think in it that drove me then. I've never met anybody obsessed with Czech in particular and I've met lots of students of it. I DO really like Czech though and it has a big place in my heart.

Spanish has always been just a good buddy of mine that I enjoy being with and Mandarin has always been too aloof and distant for me.

I've been in love with languages in general since I discovered them in 2003 but Hungarian is the first individual language that I've fallen in love with!

Any non-language lover/geek reading this will think I'm a complete weirdo!

Edited by hribecek on 15 April 2011 at 6:20pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 27 of 80
22 April 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
MAGYAR

I've written 2 more chapters from my story in the Hungarian thread, plus I've kind of finished chapter 19 from my TY book, it was a fair bit easier than chapter 18.

I think my natural feeling for Hungarian is improving, I can construct verbs better and my agglutinative abilities are getting much better.

I also think that I understand Hungarian radio a bit better, still only about 5% but I hearing the sounds clearer.

CZECH

Last weekend I spent many hours in intense conversation, as usual as the only non-Czech in a big group of Czechs. Obviously this is a good thing but the negative aspect of this is that obviously I'm always the worst speaker in the group because they're all natives and this hurts my confidence and I tend to listen more than speak as a result. It's a constant battle against my introvert nature

SPANISH

I always do something every day but it still feels like way too little, just some spoken sentences, a little bit of reading in the bathroom and some thinking in Spanish is the extent of my efforts for this week. It's not due to laziness or lack of motivation, it's only because of Hungarian and Czech getting in the way, I suppose that's a good excuse.   

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 28 of 80
06 May 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
THE 6 WEEK CHALLENGE

Along with about 60 or so other language learners, I'm taking part in the 6 week challenge set up very well by Sprachprofi.

I really enjoyed the January Hungarian challenge too but only really me and Kisfroccs took part so there wasn't the element of competition that there is in this one.

It's great actually seeing how much time I spend actively on my languages and having the extra motivation to put in that extra 10 minutes late at night just to keep my score ticking over.

I'm being very strict on myself though and don't count any passive stuff like simple every day conversations or listening to the radio and if I watch TV actively (trying to learn intentionally) in Czech then I always cut that time in half when recording it on Twitter. I always round study time down, rather than up.

I can't believe some of the hours people are putting in, at least a few of them must be exaggerating. At the moment I'm in around 20th position for Hungarian but I aim to make the top 10, I believe that motivation levels will drop for many others, but for me I know they'll stay strong.

HUNGARIAN

I've now completed unit 20 of TY Hungarian and chapter 7 of my translation of my own English story on the Hungarian thread and am forcing myself into more conversations with myself due to the 6 week challenge!

Since Sunday about 8 hours of active study/use and many more hours of passive listening.

CZECH and Spanish

I've decided to abandon my plan of starting Russian this year because I really need to dedicate myself to the languages I already have. I see how polyglots like Luca the Italian polyglot speak their foreign languages and I want the same! These 2 languages are the only ones I have a chance of speaking at a near native level so for the foreseeable future I'm just going to focus on Czech and Spanish plus my other favourite hobby and passion - Hungarian.

Somebody be my skype language exchange buddy!

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5253 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 29 of 80
06 May 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
What's up hribecek,

If you need a helping hand with Spanish we can get in touch through skype. If that sounds good to you, send me a message for my info.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 30 of 80
08 May 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
getreallanguage wrote:
What's up hribecek,

If you need a helping hand with Spanish we can get in touch through skype. If that sounds good to you, send me a message for my info.

Hi getreal
Thanks a lot for your offer!
I actually meant that I need a skype buddy for Hungarian, because I don't have the opportunity to converse in that language. However my Spanish definitely also needs a hell of a lot of work and has been very slowly deteriorating over the last 2 years, so any help I can get would be great.
The only problem is that I don't know what I can offer you in return. I've heard your English, so I'm guessing your either a native English speaker (as well as Spanish) or your English is the perfect example of what I'd love to have in a foreign language.
So unless your interested in learning Czech, I can't see what I can offer you?
I'll send you a PM.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 31 of 80
15 May 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Time for an update because I've reached a milestone. I've completed my Teach Yourself Hungarian book! I started at the beginning of January and have steadily been working through one unit more or less every week. 21 units. I'm pleased that I maintained exactly the same level of motivation and work rate throughout and didn't slack off once.

Although I say that I've completed it, I still want to review every unit again, especially the dialogues.

Thanks to the 6 week challenge, I can record here my times so far for each language for the last 2 weeks -

Hungarian - 21 hours 35 minutes (of which 8 hours 30 minutes on Teach Yourself and 8 hours 5 minutes on writing)

Czech - 19 hours 45 minutes (of which TV is 14 hours of it)

Spanish - 3 hours 30 minutes

I've done a lot more than the hours stated but I'm hard on myself and have to really do something intensively for me to give myself the full time for the activity. Especially for Czech, I do a lot of passive activities like reading the daily news and watching a lot more TV than the 14 hours and having many short conversations but I never count them on my list.

I want my Hungarian time to beat my Czech time, which is very tough because Czech is all around me. So it's a tough battle for the underdog Hungarian and good for my motivation in learning it. I think Czech will win though because I know I have some intensive Czech weekends coming up.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5191 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 32 of 80
15 May 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I wish I was as constant as you :). Gratulálok for completing your book ! I'm really impressed how quick you reached such a level.

How do you work ?

Personaly, I read the FSI unit and underline all the words I don't understand. Then I listen and repeat after tape (which is really great I think for a proper pronunciation).

I completed Pons Ungarisch (a German language teaching book) and Assimil. Both were great (although I had a far more problems with Assimil, it was either too quick or too slow for me...). With Pons Ungarisch I managed to buy tickets, food, a special card in Pécs (www.kultutca.hu I think) etc, I was pleased with myself. I just boosted my confidence knowing I could do something with the language.

Meanwhile, I've donated this book to the local library and work with FSI, Elle magazine and with divers other books. And I listen a lot to Kossuth Radió. But I have the feeling to stagnate... But then again, I have to say, I neglect my studies a bit, because I know that in July I will do intensive Hungarian :) (and can't await that !) Still a bit lazy, but that's in my temperament, I think.

Üdv. Kisfröccs (continue like this !)

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version