Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 49 of 80
14 July 2011 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Good to see that you had fun in Pécs. It's definitely worth visiting and for me feels almost like a Mediterranean city. All that it'd need is a seashore.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 50 of 80
16 July 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
@Chung
I felt the same about the Pecs climate and relaxed atmosphere. There seemed to be very few foreign tourists there too, mainly just Hungarian ones probably, so that was a pleasant experience too.

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Czech, Hungarian

Message 51 of 80
26 July 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Szia, teammate!

I'm back after a long, long hiatus and decided to stop by to see how you were doing. I appreciate the encouragement you provided me before I left (although it was no match for my burn-out ability :)). Glad to see you got to go to Hungary!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 52 of 80
26 July 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the message. I've just been writing about my Hungarian trip in Hungarian so still managing to stay on top of any motivation issues. Luckily for me, Hungarian has cast a spell over me, so hopefully I won't suffer the burn-out you had! I've suffered it in other languages though - French, Italian, Swedish and Mandarin. So completely understand. Glad to see you back and hope you're here to stay!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 53 of 80
05 August 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Since my last proper update my language practice has been quite fragmented. The main problem being that I'm with my wife all day, every day and seeing many other friends and family while here in England that I don't get much time to myself.

HUNGARIAN

In Hungarian especially it would be very hard for me to evaluate what I've done. The only things of real substance are the 2 posts I've written on the Hungarian thread about my trip to Hungary; other than those of had many little scatterings of reading and checking on things I've forgotten but it's been really difficult for me recently to get a chance to study properly. I also feel guilty that I haven't been speaking to myself much. So I can definitely sense a bit of rustiness setting in.

SPANISH

Things have been a lot more positive since I returned to England for the Summer because I have more time and mainly because my wife is off with me and wants to study and practice Spanish. So plenty of conversation and we’ve watched 3 films in Spanish. We’ve also worked through 6 lessons of my TY Perfect Your Spanish book; we’re finding it really useful because it makes you repeat and learn certain important phrases and it’s really helpful with getting more of a feel for the subjunctive.

I had one encounter with a native speaker too, but it was one that I cringed about the next day. I was really drunk at my friend’s wedding and I heard somebody speaking Spanish, so I quickly jumped into his conversation and asked ‘como estas?’. At first he obliged me by chatting to me but soon realized that I was way too wasted to have a serious conversation with and my wife told me the next day that my Spanish was terrible. I don’t remember anything from our conversation but he was from the Basque country and apparently I was asking him awkward questions about his allegiances. I spoke to him for several minutes but I think he said he needed to go to the toilet and never came back to me! It’s a shame I didn’t meet him earlier in the day because it could have been an interesting conversation.

CZECH

A few films on DVD and general chat but I’ve been trying to speak mainly in Spanish and English is unavoidable living with my English family so Czech has been rather neglected for the last month.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 54 of 80
30 August 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to my teammates for my lack of messages recently. My grandma, who I was very close to, died a couple of weeks ago so my motivation for languages has taken a big hit.

The best language news is that the fantastic Kisfröccs sent me a great package of Hungarian materials, including an essential grammar book, which I desperately needed. Thanks again for that Kisfröccs.

So I've been reading lots of bits and pieces of that at every opportunity, even though I've been feeling very unmotivated. I think the main lack of motivation has been to speak and make an effort to use foreign languages, reading about them is always fun.

I've still spoken quite a lot of Czech and a scattering of Spanish and even Hungarian with myself.

Anyway I feel my levels of motivation soaring back up again now and I'm ready to make a big push for the remainder of the year. It will help to go back to CR next week because my motivation levels are always higher there, whatever the circumstances.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5191 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 55 of 80
31 August 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Szióka !

It was a pleasure to send them to you, I will have more material (and especially a book you will need) but... only when I'm finished with it :).

Today, I made a bit of shopping and entered a LP shop... guess what ? They HAVE hungarian LP !!! In the little town I live in ! I chatted with the owner, who went to Hungary through Sopron 1990 and said to me : "They still were barbed wire in on the border to Sopron, but when we stepped in Hungary, we knew instantly that we were in Hungary : a huge banner with the words : EDDA MṸVEK".

Páneurópai Piknik

My mother too was in Hungary to study theater, around 1989. Maybe it's because of that, that I'm drawn to Hungary. In our living-room there is a photo of Budapest, 1990 I think : a huge pile of krumpli for 12 Forint /kg...

Légy jó

Zsófi

Edited by Kisfroccs on 31 August 2011 at 4:43pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 56 of 80
01 September 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi Zsofi

I'll look forward to the other book and I'm very curious to know what other book you think I'll need.

Unlike you, I can't think of any reasons why I'm drawn to Hungary, I just am.

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version