Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 57 of 80
02 September 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Unlike you, I can't think of any reasons why I'm drawn to Hungary, I just am.

That's a perfect, valid reason :) :)

Hungary - a world of potential Surely have already posted it :), but I like it.

The Graal (I mean book...) : A practical hungarian grammar

Edited by Kisfroccs on 02 September 2011 at 12:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 58 of 80
09 September 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Time for another update as I things have taken a turn for the better recently. The most important reason for this is returning to the Czech Republic for another school year. I can really feel the difference already from England; obviously I'm instantly engulfed by the Czech language and that seems to refuel my motivation for anything to do with language, a great feeling.

So yesterday for example I watched a film with Spanish subtitles and then after that I wrote 250 words of a new story I'm working on in Hungarian. Whilst all this was happening I was interacting a lot in Czech and then watched the Czech soap opera that I watch every day for an hour - ULICE.

I don't want to write too much more here because I'm excited to get back to my Hungarian story, this one's going to be an epic! Hopefully a lot more chapters than the 13 I wrote for the other main story I wrote.

@kisfroccs - Yes, I've seen the 'Hungary - a world of potential' video before. The grammar book looks very enticing, just like the one you sent me which I'm still enjoying as much as possible.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 59 of 80
19 September 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Today I found out that it's now possible to take a C1 exam in Czech. I've already done the B2 and was a little disappointed that I could never try a higher level as B2 was the top at the time. I took the model test for the grammar and vocabulary part of the test today and scored 70%. The pass level is 60% and advanced, irregular grammar is probably my weakest point in Czech (followed by speaking and writing) so it bodes well for my chances of passing the test.

It's great to have another goal in Czech because since May 2010 when I finished the B2, I haven't actively studied at all and just tried to learn through natural means (speaking, watching TV and reading every day). I've realised that although my passive ability has probably improved slowly, I need to study the intricacies and irregularities of the language as I've forgotten some and am too much of a perfectionist to let them slide.

So I might forget the Spanish C1 for now and focus on the Czech C1.

Otherwise, I've written a couple of times on the Hungarian thread and tried to chat to myself several times and study the grammar book that kisfroccs sent me. I've still got a lot of materials to get through. The other good news is that Maxval is back and healthy after spending time in hospital and apparently willing to help me with corrections.

Today I spoke a bit of Mandarin! I taught my fellow teacher a few sentences and enjoyed it. That language will stay dorment though still for the time being as I'm too preoccupied with Czech and Hungarian and trying to maintain Spanish (which I also had a couple of minute conversation in today).   

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 60 of 80
20 September 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Hey !

Mi újság ?

Great new that you are motivated :). Since I found my partner tandem in Hungarian, I'm so motivated, you can't imagine :). Plus, my new roommates speaks Spanish between them... if I want to understand something, I should start learning Spanish (and maybe Croatian, as one of my roommates speaks it as well).

Well, and I discovered a library with all the material I could ever use, in every language (ok..., they lack Slovenian :(. They have Frisian, Dutch, Finnish, Swahili, Slovak... but not Slovenian !)

Qimby - Az otthontalaság otthona

Légy jó

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 61 of 80
03 October 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
CZECH
Usually having a cold sore is a bad thing but thanks to having one on my face last week I learned/refreshed and cemented 3 new words associated with it -

Strup = scab
Opar = cold sore
sloupat se = come off/peel off

I kind of knew opar before and sloupat se is easy but I didn't know the exact verbal prefix, I would have said odloupat se.

I've also watched several films, including 'jak svět přichází o básníky' and 'jak básníci přicházejí o iluze', 2 good Czech films. I've noticed that there's a real lack of Czech actors as it seems that the actors in the soap opera that I watch, all played young people in those films 20 or so years ago.

This weekend I had an intensive Czech weekend as we spent the weekend at our Czech friend's cottage.

I also studied a bit about noun classes and conjugations, the more irregular ones. I'm going to go on anew book reading spree.

HUNGARIAN
Writing on the Hungarian thread and chatting to myself a little. I've also been looking through some of Maxval's older corrections and trying to refresh the vocabulary and I've reopened one of my Hungarian fiction books for kids.

SPANISH
Only one 5 minute conversation I'm afraid. I know my wife is going to be focusing on Spanish more and more over the coming weeks so hopefully that will mean more interaction for me too.

SLOVAK
I really enjoy learning Slovak but mainly do it through music and TV. I can actually speak Slovak to a certain extent as I know most of the differences between Czech and Slovak and a fair amount of vocabulary. I'm going to the cinema to watch a Slovak film in a couple of weeks and the dialect in the film will be Eastern Slovak so I'm interested to see how much I can understand.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 62 of 80
04 October 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Szevasz Hribecek !

Glad you're there, and maintaining your languages :). We become more and more similar in the sort of languages we are learning :

- English;
- Hungarian;
- Spanish;

Légy jó, and hope your cold is over ;)

Kisfröccs

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 63 of 80
04 October 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Szia Kisfröccs

Én is örülök, hogy tovább tanulod a magyar nyelvet és a többi nyelveket. Ma délelőtt megnéztem a negyedik részet Seherezádéből.

Have you finished watching all the episodes yet?

My cold sore has almost disappeared now, thanks. :)

Let's keep learning forever :)

Steve

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5190 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 64 of 80
05 October 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Szevasz !

No, I'm still on évad 1., but on the 54 rész :). While my understanding of Kossuth Rádió may have drastically improven, it's not the case of Seherézádé. But today, there was an expression I learned last week "lécci" :). But I have to say, you are far more efficient in writing than me, I don't think I could write texts like you.

But I think we are a good team :), and may reach our goal this year !

Minden jót,

Kisfröccs

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version