Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 2
30 December 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
If you're a teacher or do a little tutoring, how does it help you with your own
language learning?

I've been teaching English as a private tutor (no charge) to a number of Polish
immigrants for two years. Teaching has made me a better student, and studying
has made me a better teacher.
By studying Polish I appreciate what my students want to practice and what things
are less important. As a student I crave practice in speaking my target language, and
this has altered the way I teach. I used to be very teacher-centred, but now I say
less and get my students to practice speaking, do listening exercises and read for
pronunciation.
Teaching also forces me to understand the anatomy of languages, and I'm also a lot more empathetic with my students' difficulties with pronunciation and grammar. In
addition I'm a lot more organised with my learning.

The only frustration I've encountered is that I want to hijack the lesson I'm
supposed to be teaching in order to practice my target language! Until I find my
own tutor or language partner, I'll just have to bite my lip and speak English only.

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
30 December 2010 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Well, at the beginning (~4/5 years ago) both my L1 and L2 levels were boosted in the sense that I always made sure there was nothing I didn't know / I couldn't explain / translate / analyze for the students before each lesson. Now I write my own materials when needed, which forces me to ensure everything is under control anyway, and also there's a clear limit to the stuff you really have to explain, especially at the lower levels, so after a while I didn't keep improving _because of my classes_.

As a lifelong student with an extensive background in tutoring others, I wouldn't say teaching languages had any other important effects. I was always very aware of most obstacles the students would face because I had to get there myself in the first place.

In general, I'd say if you stay on both sides of anything they help each other to improve a lot at the beginning, and after that experience shapes/helps your ways on each side better than anything coming from the other one.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version