19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 19
30 December 2010 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
So I ordered the item entitled Linguaphone Czech Language Course (2 Audio Cassettes and Books) [Audio Cassette"> directly from Amazon a few weeks ago. It was the last one in stock too, so I felt really lucky that I had snatched the last copy of the Czech course from the very highly regarded line of Linguaphone courses. I paid 95USD for it. Today I received it and this is what I got:

I could have gotten that Teach Yourself book for some 15USD. I'm really sad I was taken like this, and since I live in Colombia I cannot return the item for a refund as shipping costs from here to the U.S. are prohibitively expensive. With all the good language textbooks I want to buy but can't afford I had to waste my money on this. Feliz día de los inocentes para mí, cortesía de Amazon.
4 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 19
30 December 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
You should still write Amazon directly.   

They should refund your money AND shipping. This is clearly false advertising. This is CLEARLY not a Linguaphone
course despite the deceptive packaging!

For 95 bucks they should hear you out. If not, demand to talk to one of the "higher ups"!
11 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 19
30 December 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
That blows. However I'm curious whether there really is a Czech course from Linguaphone that's similar to the "typical" Linguaphone courses (i.e. usually has a book with at least 6 tapes). If I were in Amazon's place and not knowing anything more, perhaps this is all there is for the Czech "Linguaphone" course, and I wouldn't quite see the false advertising.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 19
30 December 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
As far as I can tell, this IS the genuine Linguaphone Czech course. Alas, as you see, it
is nothing more than a repackaged teach yourself course. I have no idea what the
licensing arrangements were, but Linguaphone did sell this teach yourself Czech course in
the mid 1990s. It was not popular - since you could get the same course much cheaper
directly as Teach Yourself.

You were certainly ripped off on the price - since Linguaphone sold the course in the UK
for about half what you paid - but it is not a faked product.
8 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5693 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 5 of 19
30 December 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
The one time I had to return a product from Amazon, I ordered from a third party (through Amazon). After I sent Amazon an email about being shipped the wrong product, they sent me a link to a shipping label that I printed out and used to ship the product back to Amazon. I didn't have to pay shipping. Not sure if it'll be the same for you since you'd be shipping it from Columbia, but it's worth a shot. Just send them an email about what happened and see what happens.
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 6 of 19
30 December 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
That blows. However I'm curious whether there really is a Czech course from Linguaphone that's
similar to the "typical" Linguaphone courses (i.e. usually has a book with at least 6 tapes). If I were in Amazon's
place and not knowing anything more, perhaps this is all there is for the Czech "Linguaphone" course, and I wouldn't
quite see the false advertising.

True, maybe not "false" advertising, but a little more "truth in labeling" could have been done on Amazon's part.
They should know better than to just call it "Linguaphone" - even the book and tapes call themselves
Linguaphone/Teach Yourself.   

Nevertheless, keep trying with Amazon. They should be able to make things right.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 19
30 December 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

I think I'm going to have to write this off as a loss and move on. Earlier this month I complained to Amazon after ordering an Assimil book with the picture of Le Latin sans peine but receiving the latest-generation version of the course entitled simply Le Latin (in case anyone cares to know, yes, the new version has been substantially watered down). They refunded me the purchase price and told me to keep the book.

If I complain again they might think I am being abusive. I depend on Amazon for my life-support of books so I can't risk having my account terminated, as I know has happened to some North American customers for returning too many items and generally being too demanding.

Furthermore, it seems it was Linguaphone who perpetrated this rotten little scam of selling Teach Yourself books packaged in their trademark attache cases for five times their worth. I have the genuine Swedish, Hebrew and Arabic Linguaphone courses and though I haven't actually worked through them they look excellent, but from now on I won't buy another Linguaphone course unless the seller can physically open it and verify it is not one of these impostor repackages.

Edited by Juаn on 30 December 2010 at 7:02pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 8 of 19
30 December 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

I think I'm going to have to write this off as a loss and move on. Earlier this month I complained to Amazon after
ordering an Assimil book with the picture of Le Latin sans peine but receiving the latest-generation version
of the course entitled simply Le Latin (in case anyone cares to know, yes, the new version has been
substantially watered down). They refunded me the purchase price and told me to keep the book.

If I complain again they might think I am being abusive. I depend on Amazon for my life-support of books so I
can't risk having my account terminated, as I know has happened to some North American customers for
returning too many items and generally being too demanding.

Furthermore, it seems it was Linguaphone who perpetrated this rotten little scam of selling Teach Yourself books
packaged in their trademark attache cases for five times their worth. I have the genuine Swedish, Hebrew and
Arabic Linguaphone courses and though I haven't actually worked through them they look excellent, but from
now on I won't buy another Linguaphone course unless the seller can physically open it and verify it is not one of
these impostor repackages.

I'd still let them know! Your concern is totally justified. They sold you a product and you thought that you were
getting something completely different. I REALLY don't think you would have your amazon account suspended
for bringing this to their attention.   They want you back as a repeat customer.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version