shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5908 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 17 of 17
23 February 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I have always used bilingual texts when available and editions with vocabularies when not. That is an excellent reason for reading good literature at an early stage, since there is likely to be a good translation in your language. (Mind you, the same is also true for Dan Brown these days). Penguin has a useful series of bilingual short stories in several languages, including Russian. Penguin poetry books are also available in Russian with a literal translation.
The problem is that only the Bradda editions of Russian literature (highly recommended) have the stress marked. This is a major problem since it means I am constantly having to use the dictionary not for the meaning but to check the stress. For this reason I am starting to add audiobooks in to make sure I have the pronunciation right, largely due to the encouragement from this forum both from ata-magaii (she who must not be named, as in Harry Potter) and from the lists of suppliers I have found. Polish was much easier for that reason. I learned an enormous amount from parallel reading of Sienkiewicz, even if it was a bit archaic.
Hebrew has a similar problem as soon as I move from simplified readers with vowel markings to real literature. The verbs can be worked out by knowing the conjugations but often the nouns cannot.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version