9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
translator2
United States
Joined 6700 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 9
30 December 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
This is a thirteen-part video interview about languages and language learning with Carlos Amaral Freire (sorry - all in Portuguese) who studied 120 languages. My apologies if this is a repeat.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13

Edited by translator2 on 30 December 2010 at 7:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
30 December 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Freire has been mentioned before (in this thread), but these 13 videos are new to me - although not for much longer. They have apparently been on Youtube for a year, but only had 2-300 views each.

Edited by Iversen on 30 December 2010 at 9:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4927 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 3 of 9
31 December 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I saw these videos when I began to learn languages. He spoke many tongues. I may make a
translation to English when I will get fluency.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4862 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 4 of 9
31 December 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Interesting videos.. He is a smart man. But for me it just seems overwhelming studying all those languages.

Yvelle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6095 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Gypsy/Romani

Message 5 of 9
01 January 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
Is there a video clip that shows him speaking in 120 different languages?

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6741 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 6 of 9
01 January 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Yvelle asks :
Is there a video clip that shows him speaking in 120 different languages?

I found in internet this sentence :

Freire não fala 120 línguas. Isso é humanamente impossível.Ele fala umas 30 com ou mais ou menos razoável fluência
(Freire is not speaking 120 linguas . This is humanly ipossible. He speaks about 30 languages with more or less reasonable fluency)

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6741 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 8 of 9
10 January 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
I understand now : Mr Freire has a passive knowledge of these 100 language .
More or less like Mr. Riccardo Bertani . Read the article below about him.

Riccardo Bertani learned more than 100 languages

He, son of the communist mayor of Campegine (Province of Reggio Emilia) found the Russians books at home (Gogol,Puskin,Gorki), the great master Tolstoy ). So in his twenty, he start to study Russian and become a phenomenon, In few months he learn it and translates the poems of the Ucrainian Shevchenko , discovered in a book that a fugitive forgot in the house of the Cervi brothers , friends of his uncle. Since then, this gentleman that now is in his 75 and doesn't wear glasses has learnt more than 100 languages." Let's say that I read it and I write it, but I don't think I pronounce it well" He explains " You know, to speak a language you need to travel. And I always feared to be disappointed travelling abroad" Riccardo Bertani is the most extravagant   Italian intellectual. Glottologue and distinguished translator, is considered in the world as one of the greatest expert of central- asian languages and cultures. He knows among others, Serbo-Croatian, Lithuanian, Basque, Etruscan, Ajnu, Samojedan, Persian, Tungusian, Recently he accomplished
an Italian-mongolian dictionary , he also translated siberian proverbs, chants of   Jukagheeres sheperds and fairies of Lapland . He edited a grammar of his Reggiano dialect, a dictionary of Orochian ( tungusian and manchurian language of Siberia ) and a longobardian glossary . This man, in all his life raised goats, living with his mother and few cats in his house in the "Pianura reggiana" . He is an expert of toponomy and dialects , but also of   apicolture . Bertani has connections with several european universities ,as well as with the Royal Academies of Danmark and Sweden . In forty years of activity he edited articles and essay writings , he collaborated with the Utet encyclopedia , he held conferences in several Italian universities and elaborated new theories. For instance he realized the fact that Etrurian , with the Basque , could be an iberian-caucasic language . And that Maya and some siberian languages are neighborly .
All this did'n't change his lifestyle : he keeps writing with a ballpoint pen on old agendas in an unkept and dusty office between a mass of stacked books all over the place . He keeps wearing woden shoes and spoiled pullovers , going around in the house bare-chested ,and using an old heater that blackens the ceiling. Today his house has becomed almost a museum , on the brass nameplate it is written in County Library of Campegine, Riccardo Bertani Foundation. The County allocated the money to catalog all his writings, and the house is full of any kind of thing: mongolian,siberian,karelian magazines ; arab proverbs ,a rutulian lexicon (they live on the Caspian Sea ,also the ancient roman poet Virgilius talks about them) a gothic-italian glossary and books on the Chechnian tradition that not even in Chechnya are remembered . A legacy that sooner or later will become of public domain and for the time being found place in shelves too much aseptic for Bertani . Because the life of that man did'n't changed he never go out, this is what say his neighbours . He wake up at 3 a.m. and studies till 9 a.m. "in these hours my mind is fresher" he explains. Then lunch, siesta , some work in the vegetable garden and then goes to bed after the news . He like to say that is inspired by the great Tolstoy according to the ethic of simple things , that someone is worth for who he is not for what he has .And when you ask him if he did ever traveled , his answer is disarming "Yes I visited the Florence University once"

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version