Aruba
Joined 5085 days ago

103 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: GermanB1, French, Russian

Message 9 of 9
07 January 2011 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Hi Sulis,

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress this year in French. You seem to have some great reasons for learning, and how lucky you are to have a native speaker for a partner to answer any questions you have along the way!

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding your plan of action - please forgive me if I come across as boastful or chiding in any way, as my intention is only to help you on your journey. When I started studying German a few years ago, I fell into the trap of trying to get as many materials and courses as I possibly could, and then trying to work my way through all of them. It took me close to three years of off and on study to realise that I'd just been circling inside material designed for learners the entire time. That is, it'd gotten in my way of progressing on to native materials (novels, newspapers, radio, television, etc.). I then had to rectify this situation.

There's a good chance that we have completely different approaches and styles, and that this won't affect you. I only hope that if you start to feel that things are overlapping too much (say, if you started Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, and you found one to be better than the other, while covering the same content), and that they are taking up too much time, that you will be happy to drop the lesser, and that as soon as you feel you are able, you will start to introduce native materials.

I wish you the very best in your studies.

Thanks,
Rob.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version