Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5572 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Turkish
Studies: Finnish, German, French

Message 9 of 12
25 April 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Some great answers here, but thought I'd give my own personal perspective on this - sorry if what I say duplicates anything above!

I visit Lithuania very frequently and would say that learning some Lithuanian before you go there would be very useful. Many young people do speak English but a few words and phrases will definitely be useful in emergencies. Most older people do speak Russian but it has always seemed to me that 'ethnic' Lithuanians now prefer to use Lithuanian almost exclusively. The language is difficult in terms of grammar and lexical similarities to Western European languages, but if you've ever studied a language with cases it shouldn't trouble you too much as the case system is pretty regular. The main problem I've always found with Lithuanian is the stress/accent system - words are hardly EVER marked with this, it's hard even to find a dictionary (even in the country!) that has the stress marked on words....

When ever we've been to Latvia we've always been able to use Russian almost everywhere. My girlfriend (who speaks both Lithuanian and Russian as native languages) was amazed when we first went there that we didn't need to use English or try any Latvian at all. Can't really comment on previous posters' experiences of people resisting the use of Russian, I've only been to Latvia a couple of times!

I speak a bit of Estonian, and know Finnish pretty well, so on trips to Estonia have managed with that. However Estonian friends (especially those over the age of c. 30) have always said they can still remember and use Russian but they simply have no need to any more. English is quite widely spoken among young people there, and certainly in tourist spots you will be able to always find someone who speaks it.

Have a great trip - it's a wonderful part of the world!
1 person has voted this message useful

Miegamice
Bilingual Pentaglot
Latvia
Joined 4775 days ago

32 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Latvian*, English, German, Danish
Studies: Norwegian, Swedish

Message 10 of 12
26 April 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I have lived in Latvia all my life and am so sorry not to know our dearest neighbours Estonian and Lithuanian language..Russian was forced for many decades, so I feel allergy to it.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
26 April 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
bob_26782 wrote:
Have a great trip - it's a wonderful part of the world!

A little late. Evan's trip was over five years ago! The rest of your post was interesting though. 8^)
2 persons have voted this message useful

bob_26782
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5572 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Turkish
Studies: Finnish, German, French

Message 12 of 12
26 April 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Haha, missed the date completely!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version