Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 25 of 45
11 January 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!
Do you miss London? I hope that you can visit me in the near future my friend?

CZECH

Milý Jamese

Posilám Ti tenhle dopis jako odpověď na dopis, který jsi mi poslal minulý týden. Jsem rád, že se Ti dáří v práci a že ses usadil ve svém novém baráku v Manchesteru.

Je mi fajn, dáří se mi na universitě, přestože studium jazyků je těžké. Vloni v srpnu já a moje rodina jsme jeli do Španělska na dovolenou, moc jsme si to užili a viděli jsme hodně krásných míst, koupali jsme se v moři a Madrid se nám moc líbil, je to užasné město.

Poznal jsem tam krásnou, španělskou holku, která se jmenuje Maria a stále se bavíme po telefonu a emailem, pojedu k ní do španělska na návštěvu příští měsíc.

ořád mám ty samé záliby, dneska ráno jsem hral v zápasu fotbalu a můj tým vyhral dva - nula. Furt se učím jazyky a boxuju. Zítra půjdu do kina na film - "Baby Fockers", tyhle filmy se mi moc líbí!

Stýská se Ti po Londýně? Doufám, že mě brzy navštivíš, kamaráde.   

1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 26 of 45
16 January 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!

Kedves James
Feladom ezt a levelet, ahogy válasz a levelnek, amit a mult héten feladtál nekem. Örülök annak, hogy neked jól megy a munkádban és hogy már kényelmes vagy az új házodban Manchesterben.
Jól vagyok, a tanulás egyetemen jól megy, bár nyelvtanulás nehéz.
A mult Augusztusban, én és a családom Spanyolországba szabadságra mentünk. Éreztük magunkat nagyon jól és láttunk sok szép helyet. Úsztunk a tengerben és Madrid nekünk nagyon tetszett, szerintünk nagyszerű város. Ott találkoztam egy csinos spanyol lányt, a neve Maria és tovább beszéltünk emaillel és a telefonnal, a jövű hónapban elmegyek hozzá spanyolországba.
Még az ugyanaz hobbaim vannak, ma délelőtt fociztam és nyert a csapatom 2-o. Tovébb tanulok nyelveket és tovább bokszom. Holnap a moziba megyek a filmre "Baby Fockers", ezeket a filmeket imádom!
Hiányzik neked London? Azt remélem, hogy nemsokára meglátogathatsz engem, barátom.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4460 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 27 of 45
20 January 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
As a German, I thought I'd contribute a version in my mother tongue, for reference, also trying my luck with a Japanese version. Let's go.

Dear James,
Lieber James,
ジャミスさん、

I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week.
Ich sende Dir diesen Brief als Antwort auf Deinen von letzter Woche.
この手紙は先週のあなたの手紙の返事です。

I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
Es freut mich zu hören, dass Deine Arbeit gut läuft und Du Dich gut in Deinem neuen Haus in Manchester eingelebt hast.
新しいマンチェスターの家をなれるといいで すね。仕事も上手く行って良かったです。

I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult.
Mir geht es gut, meine Studien laufen ordentlich, obwohl Sprachen lernen schwierig ist.
僕は大丈夫ですが、言語の勉強は難しいと思 います。

Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spain, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city.
Letzten August reisten meine Familie und ich im Urlaub nach Spanien. Wir hatten viel Spaß, besuchten wundervolle Orte und schwammen im Meer. Madrid zu besuchen, fanden wir besonders toll. Wir finden, diese Stadt ist großartig.
八月に家族と一緒にスペインに旅行に行きま した。本当に楽しんで、綺麗なところに遊び に行って、よく海で泳ぎました。特にMadridに 見に行くのは楽しかったです。みんなはスゴ イ町だと思います。

I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
Ich begegnete dort einem gutaussehenden Mädchen namens Maria, mit dem ich noch immer Kontakt ber Email und Telefon habe. Ich werde sie nächsten Monat in Spanien besuchen.
そこで可愛い子と出会いました。名前はマリ アです。まだ毎日メールと電話で連絡してい ます。来月、彼女に遊びに行くつもりです。

I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0.
Meine Hobbies sind immer noch dieselben. Heute Morgen spielte ich Fußball und mein Team gewann mit 2 zu 0.
趣味はまだ同じです。今朝、サッカーをして 、チームは2:0なんて勝ちましたよ。

I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing.
Ich lerne noch immer Sprachen und boxe.
まだ言語の勉強とボクシングをしています。

Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!
Morgen werde ich mir im Kino "Baby Fockers" ansehen, ich liebe diese Filme.
明日、映画館で新しい「Baby   Focke rs」という英語を見るつもりです。こういう ��画、大好きですよ!

Do you miss London?
Vermisst Du London?
ロンドン、会いたいんですか?

I hope that you can visit me in the near future, my friend.
Ich hoffe, Du kannst mich bald besuchen kommen, mein Freund.
もうすぐ遊びに来てくださいね。

P.S.: This forum doesn't accept my "kouiu eiga", no matter how often I try (>.<

Edited by atama warui on 20 January 2012 at 11:43am

arashikat
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4436 days ago

53 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 45
11 February 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
My native tongue is Tagalog, and I'm going to give this a try!

English (Original version) -

Dear James,
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spain, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.

Tagalog (Formal/Word for word version)

Mahal kong Jaime,

Sumulat ako sa'yo bilang sagot sa liham na ipinadala mo sa akin noong nakaraang linggo. Masaya akong malaman na maganda ang takbo ng iyong trabaho at naka-ayos ka na diyan sa'yong bagong bahay sa Manchester.

Maayos naman ako, at maayos din ang pag-aaral ko dito sa kolehiyo, kahit na mahirap mag-aral ng mga salita [banyaga]. Noong nakaraang Agosto, ako at ang aking pamilya ay nag-bakasyon sa Espanya. Talagang nag-saya kaming mag-anak, at marami kaming nakitang magagandang tanawin. Lumangoy kami sa dagat, at talagang nagustuhan namin ang Madrid--para sa amin ay napaka-ganda at gara ng siyudad na iyon. May nakilala akong magandang dalagang Espanyola doon, at hanggang ngayon ay nag-uugnayan kami gamit ang email at telepono. Magkikita kami sa Espanya sa isang buwan.

Ganoon pa rin naman ang mga hilig ko. Naglaro ako ng putbol kaninang umaga, at nanalo ang pangkat ko--ang iskor ay 2-0. Nag-aaral pa rin ako ng mga salitang banyaga, at nagbo-boksing pa din. Pupunta ako sa sinehan bukas para panoorin iyong bagong pelikula na "Little Fockers," gusto ko talaga ang ganitong mga pelikula!

Nangugulila ka pa rin sa London? Sana madalaw mo ako sa susunod, aking kaibigan.

Tagalog (Colloquial/Informal/Tag-lish version)

Dear James,

Ito ang reply ko sa sulat na pinadala mo sa 'kin nung isang linggo. Masaya ako na ayos ka naman sa trabaho mo, at naka-settle ka na rin diyan sa bagong bahay mo sa Manchester.

Ayos naman ako dito, pati yung pag-aaral ko sa college eh ayos din, kahit na mahirap mag-aral nung mga foreign language. Noong August, nag-bakasyon kami ng pamilya ko sa Spain. Nag-enjoy talaga kami at tsaka madami kaming nakitang magagandang lugar. Nag-swimming kami sa beach, at tsaka talagang nagustuhan namin yung pagpunta namin sa Madrid--para sa amin da best and city na yun. May nakilala akong magandang babae na Espanyola, at hanggang ngayon eh nag-uusap kami sa email at tsaka sa telepono. Magkikita kami sa Spain sa isang buwan.

Ganun pa rin ang mga hobbies ko. Kaninang umaga nag-laro ako ng football kasama yung team ko--nanalo kami, 2-0 ang score. Nag-aaral pa rin ako ng iba't-ibang mga foreign language, at tsaka nagba-boxing pa rin ako. Bukas pupunta sa sinehan para manood nung palabas na "Little Fockers," kasi gusto ko talaga yung mga ganyang palabas.

Nami-miss mo na ba ang London? Sana naman madalaw mo naman ko dito sa susunod, pare!

Tried my best! Haha!

Edited by arashikat on 11 February 2012 at 7:04am

3 persons have voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4425 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 29 of 45
18 February 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Interesting that formal and informal Tagalog look so different.

English (Original version) -
Dear James,

Here are my attempts, first Mandarin:

詹姆斯弟如晤

上個星欺你寫給我一封信, 現在要回信. 我真開心知道你工作辦的好, 還有曼徹斯特新房子裡住的好.

我還好. 雖然我覺得學語言比較難,一般地說學習成功. 上個八月我跟家人去西班牙玩, 那邊非常快樂, 我門看到了好多美好的地方. 我結識一位美麗的女孩叫媽立牙, 我門兩個人都到現在用電郵與電話保持聯系. 我下個月要去西班牙見她.

我一到現在都有一樣的興趣. 今天早上打足球,我隊勝利 2-0. 我還在學習語言, 還有參加拳击比賽. 明天要去看電影 “Baby Fockers”. 我真喜歡這系列電影!

你想念倫敦嗎? 朋友, 我希望你在不遠的將來會訪問我, 怎麼樣?

Now Latvian:

Sveiks Džeimss!

Sūtu Tev šo vēstuli kā atbildi uz Tevis pagājušās nedēļas sūtīto. Cik jauki uzzināt, ka Tev iet labi darbā un esi iedzīvojies jaunajā mājā Mančesterā.
Man iet labi, studijās arī nekas nekaiš, kaut mācīties valodas ir grūti. Pagājušajā augustā mēs ar ģimeni braucām pavadīt brīvdienas Spānijā. Mēs ļoti izbaudījām šo ceļojumu, tur redzējām daudzko skaistu, peldējāmies jūrā. It īpaši patika Madride, kas ir apbrīnojama pilsēta. Tur arī satiku skaistu spaniešu meiteni vārdā Marija, un vēl tagad sazināmies ar ēpastu un telefoniski. Nākammēnes braukšu pie viņas ciemos uz Spāniju.
Vaļasbrīžos izklaidējos tāpat kā agrāk, šorīt spēlēju vienā futbola mačā, ko mūsu komanda uzvarēja ar 2-0. Vēl mācos valodas un nodarbojos ar boksu. Rīt iešu uz kino redzēt jauno filmu „Baby Fockers.” Patiešām patīk šī sērija!
Vai Tev trūkst Londonas? Ceru, ka varēsi tuvākajā nākotnē mani apciemot, draugs!

I'm sure there will be a few problems with the Chinese, and it's not in formal letter-writing style by any means. The Latvian should be okay, although maybe a bit idiosyncratic, because I didn't learn it in-country and don't use it at all these days.

Comments on either version are welcome!

Edited by viedums on 18 February 2012 at 11:41am

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6719 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 30 of 45
18 February 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Here I just make in a better form the Italian translation of the letter
(made by Begliocchi)

Italian:

Caro James,
Rispondo alla lettera che mi hai spedito la settimana scorsa.
Mi fa piacere sapere che il tuo lavoro vada bene e che tu ti sia sistemato
nella tua nuova casa a Manchester.
Io sto bene, i miei studi universitari vanno bene,
anche se imparare lingue sia difficile.
Lo scorso agosto, io e la mia famiglia abbiamo fatto una vacanza in Spagna.
Ci siamo divertiti un sacco e abbiamo visto molti bei
posti, siamo stati al mare dove abbiamo nuotato molto, siamo andati a Madrid e abbiamo scoperto una citta` incredibile.
La` ho conosciuto una bella ragazza spagnola che si chiama Maria e
parliamo tuttora via email tramite e telefono.
La vedrò di nuovo in Spagna il mese prossimo .
Ho ancora gli stessi passatempi. Stamattina ho giocato una partita di
calcio e la mia squadra ha vinto 2-0. Sto ancora studiando le lingue e pratico il pugilato.
Domani vado al cinema a vedere il nuovo film "Baby Fockers ".
Mi piacciono da morire questi film! Ti manca Londra?
Spero che possa presto venirmi a farmi visita , amico mio.

arashikat
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4436 days ago

53 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 45
18 February 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
@viedums It does, right? Colloquial Tagalog does a lot of code-switching (Tagalog/English), contractions, and there are fillers such as "eh." My formal Tagalog is actually lacking as I'm not well-versed with this kind of writing. There was a historical TV series in the Philippines called "Amaya," and they used a lot of the vocabulary that would be more appropriate.

Christine
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6385 days ago

41 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 32 of 45
29 February 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I haven’t written a French text in ages, so my effort below must be way too literal and full of mistakes (especially concerning the usage of passé compose vs. imparfait). I’ll give it a try anyway! Foreign language skills cannot be improved by shying away from using them.

Cher James,
je t’envoie cette lettre en répondant à la lettre que tu m’as envoyé la semaine dernière. Il me fait plaisir de savoir que ton travail vas bien et que tu t’es installé dans ta nouvelle maison à Manchester.
Je suis bien, mes études universitaires vont bien même si apprendre des langues est difficile. L’août dernier, moi et ma famille sont venus en Espagne pour les vacances. Nous nous avons amusé très bien. Nous avons vu beaucoup des endroits beaux, nous avons nagé dans la mer et nous aimions aller à Madrid et nous pensons qu’elle (is Madrid male or female in French?) soit une ville incroyable. Là, j’ai rencontré une belle fille espagnole qui s’appelle Maria, et nous parlent encore par mél et téléphone. J’irai la visiter en Espagne le mois prochain.
J’ai encore des mêmes loisirs. Ce matin, j’ai joué un match de football et mon équipe a gagné par deux buts à zéro. J’encore fais des études des langues et j’encore fais de la boxe.
Demain, je vais aller au cinéma pour regarder le film nouveau « Mon beau-père et nous », j’aime ces films !
Manques-tu Londres ? J’espère que tu puisses me visiter dans l’avenir proche, mon ami.

Edited by Christine on 02 March 2012 at 10:44pm

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version