CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 17 of 45
17 January 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Renaçido wrote:
but it doesn't to English, where "I'm good" is certainly standard usage nowadays.

It may be standard usage in situations where correct English doesn't matter very much. It would not be very suitable or effective in a job interview (or similar situation) where the employer was looking for a well-educated employee with good attention to detail.

Renaçido wrote:
I also don't see what could be wrong in using run-on sentences with less punctuation than in standard usage, considering the informal nature of the letter.

You can easily write informally without writing incorrectly. You don't have to deliberately or carelessly introduce grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes to appear to be informal or 'hip'.

Another reason to write correctly is to avoid getting into the habit of writing carelessly. The same reasoning applies to always using your signal lights even if you know there are no cars for miles. It develops good, positive habits that serve you well, automatically, and when you really need them.

The purpose of writing is to convey information effectively to the reader. The situation is similar to speaking where good pronunciation and clear speaking are effective in oral communications, and leave a positive impression.

Edited by tommus on 17 January 2011 at 2:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 18 of 45
17 January 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!
Do you miss London? I hope that you can visit me in the near future my friend?

ArabicL

عزيزي جيمس:

اكتب هذه الرسالة اليك ردا للرسالة التي كتبتها الي الاسبوع الماضي. يسرني ان اسمع الخبر ان شغلك يشمي على مايرام و انك تعتد ببيتك الجديد و ترتب الامور هناك في مانجستر.

حالي على ما يرام الحمدلله و دراستي في الجامعة كذلك رغم تعلمي اللغة صار صعبا. في شهر اغستس الذي فات انا و عائلتي قضينا عطلة في اسبانيا و استمتعنا بها كثيرا.   و ; راينا عدد كبير من المناظر الجميلة و سبحنا في البحر . و عشقتنا مدريد بشكل خاص و هذه المدينة بهرتنا تعجبا. تعفرت على فتاة حلوة تسمى مريا و نحن بعد على الاتصال بايميل و تليفون. و انا ساراها في اسبانيا في الشهر القادم.

ما زلت استمتع بهواياتي الكثيره بما فيها كرة القدم. و انا لعبت في مباراة هذا الصباح و فاز فريقي 2-0. و بعد ادرس اللغات باستمرار و امارس المصارع يوكسنج. و يوم الغد ساذهب الى السينيما لكي اتفرج على فيلم جديد باسم "بيبي فاكرز". اموت على هذه الافلام!

هل انت تشتاق للندن؟ يا ريت سيصير من امكانيات 03; ان تزورني في المستقبل القريب يا صديقي.

Edited by Darya0Khoshki on 17 January 2011 at 4:18pm

Cyrus
Diglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

39 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 19 of 45
17 January 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Jon1991 wrote:
I have written a letter in English about a made-up topic and I have attempted to translate it
into two of my target languages - French and Spanish. I tried to base this letter around the intermediate level so
it's not too easy or too difficult. Please have a go in translating it into your target languages and speakers of
these languages can correct the students. Good luck!

English (Original version) -
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is
going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my
family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in
the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there
called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning
languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love
these films!

French -
Cher James,
Je vous envoie cette lettre pour vous de repondre a la lettre que vous m'avez envoye la semaine deniere. Je suis
heureux de savoir que votre travail va bien et que vous avez installe dans votre novuelle maison a Manchester.
Je vais bien, mes etudes universitaires vont bien, meme si l'apprentissage des langues est difficile. L'aout
derniere, moi et ma famille sommes allees a Espagne en vacances. Nous avons apprecie beaucoup et nous avons
vu beaucoup des belles lieux, nous avons nages dans la mer et nous avons aime aller a Madrid qui nous avons
pense une ville magnifique et agreable. J'ai recontre une belle femme espangole la, appele Maria et nous toujours
parlons par email et telephone, je vais la vois le mois prochaine.
J'ai toujours les memes hobbies, ce matin, j'ai joue un match de football et mon equipe mous avons gange 2-0.
J'ai encore apprendrre les langues et je fais la boxe. Demain, je vais regarder le noveau film "Baby Fockers"
j'adore ces films!
Avez-vous manquez de vie a Londres? J'espere que vous pouvez me rendre visite dans l'avenir, mon ami.

I correct your french text :)
Cher James,
Je vous envoie cette lettre pour répondre à la lettre que vous m'avez envoyée la semaine dernière. Je
suis heureux de savoir que votre travail se passe bien et que vous vous êtes installé dans votre
nouvelle maison à Manchester.
Je vais bien, mes études universitaires se passent bien, même si l'apprentissage des langues est difficile.
En août dernier, moi et ma famille sommes allés en Espagne en vacances. Nous avons
beaucoup apprécié et nous avons vu beaucoup des/de beaux lieux, nous avons nagé dans la
mer et nous avons aimé aller à Madrid que nous trouvons/avons trouvé magnifique et agréable. J'ai
rencontré une belle femme espagnole là-bas, appelée Maria et nous nous parlons toujours par
email et téléphone, je vais la voir le mois prochain.
J'ai toujours les mêmes hobbies, ce matin, j'ai joué à un match de football (you can also say "j'ai joué au
football")
et "mon equipe a gagné" / "moi et mon équipe avons gagné" 2-0. J'apprends encore les
langues et je fais de la boxe. Demain, je vais regarder le nouveau film "Baby Fockers" j'adore ces films !
"Londres vous manque-t-elle ?"/"Est-ce que Londres vous manque" ? J'espère que vous pourrez me
rendre visite dans l'avenir, mon ami.

Hope it helps you :)

Edited by Cyrus on 17 January 2011 at 7:57pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

begliocchi
Diglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English, Italian

Message 20 of 45
26 August 2011 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
ITALIAN:

Caro James,
Ti spedisco questa lettera per rispondere alla lettera che mi hai spedito la settimana scorsa. Mi fa piacere sapere che il tuo lavoro vada bene e che tu ti sia accomodato nella tua nuova casa a Manchester. Io sto bene, i miei studi universitari vanno bene, benche` imparare lingue sia difficile. Lo scorso agosto, io e la mia famiglia abbiamo fatto la vacanza in Spagna. Ci siamo divertiti un sacco e abbiamo visto molti bei posti, abbiamo nuotato al mare, e ci e` piaciuto andare a Madrid e la troviamo una citta` incredibile. La` ho conosciuto una bella ragazza spagnola che si chiama Maria e parliamo tutt'oggi tramite posta elettronica e telefono. La rincontrero` in Spagna il prossimo mese. Ho ancora gli stessi passatempi. Stamattina ho fatto una partita di calcio e la mia squadra ha vinto 2-0. Sto ancora imparando lingue e faccio pugilato. Domani vado al cinema a vedere il nuovo film "Vi Presento i Nostri". Mi piacciono da morire questi film! Ti manca Londra? Spero che presto tu mi possa visitare, amico mio.

Edited by begliocchi on 26 August 2011 at 5:49am

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4834 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 21 of 45
29 August 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
begliocchi wrote:
Italian:

Caro James,
Ti spedisco questa lettera per rispondere alla lettera che mi hai spedito la settimana
scorsa. Mi fa piacere sapere che il tuo lavoro vada bene e che tu ti sia accomodato
nella tua nuova casa a Manchester. Io sto bene, i miei studi universitari vanno bene,
benchÉ imparare lingue sia difficile. Lo scorso agosto, io e la mia famiglia abbiamo
fatto UNA vacanza in Spagna. Ci siamo divertiti un sacco e abbiamo visto molti bei
posti, abbiamo nuotato al mare, e ci e` piaciuto andare a Madrid e la troviamo una
citta` incredibile. La` ho conosciuto una bella ragazza spagnola che si chiama Maria e
parliamo tutt'ORA tramite posta elettronica e telefono. La rincontrero`* in Spagna il
prossimo mese. Ho ancora gli stessi passatempi. Stamattina ho fatto una partita di
calcio e la mia squadra ha vinto 2-0. Sto ancora imparando lingue e faccio pugilato.
Domani vado al cinema a vedere il nuovo film "Vi Presento i Nostri". Mi piacciono da
morire questi film! Ti manca Londra? Spero che presto tu mi possa visitare**, amico
mio.

Complimenti!Il tuo italino è perfetto!
*Rincontrerò mi suona un po' strano, in sé non credo sia sbagliato, anche se io
preferirei Reincontrerò.
In caso sentiamo altri madrelingua.
**In questo caso è meglio dire:
"Spero che tu possa farmi visita"
Usare visitare in quel senso lì intende il dottore che visita un paziente.

Michaled
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4542 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English, Italian*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, German

Message 22 of 45
17 November 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love these films!

Latin:

Gratus James,
Ego hanc epistulam tibi scribo assonaturus litteris quibus tu misisti proxima hebdomade. Sum gaius scire tuum laborem bene pergere et collocavisse in tuo novo domo in Mamucio (Manchester).
Ego bene, mea studia universitatis bene progrediuntur sed linguas cognoscere arduus est. Proximo Augusto, ego et mea familia iveramus in Hispaniam, multam deliciam habueramus et multa pulchra loca, in ponto nataveramus et nos amaveramus ire Ursaliam (Madrid)et scimus eam pulcherrimam urbem esse. Ibi ego pulcherrimam virginem Hispanicam vocatam Mariam et nos tamen loquorimur cum e-mail et telephono, eam visuram esse in Hispania proxumo mense.

Sorry, I don't have time to finish it now, I'll finish it later.

Natalia
Tetraglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4892 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Spanish, Greek
Studies: Russian, Serbian

Message 23 of 45
03 December 2011 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Here you have a Modern Greek version:

Αγαπητέ Τζέιμς,
Σου στέλνω αυτό το γράμμα για να απαντήσω στο γράμμα που μου έστειλες την προηγούμενη εβδομάδα. Νιώθω ευχαριστημένος που ξέρω ότι όλα είναι καλά στη δουλειά σου και ότι τακτοποιήθηκες στο καινούριο σου σπίτι στο Μαντσεστερ. Εγώ είμαι καλά, οι σπουδές μου επίσης, αν και το να μαθαίνεις γλώσσες είναι δύσκολο. Το περασμένο Αύγουστο πήγα με την οικογενειά μου για διακοπές στην Ισπανία. Περάσαμε πολύ ωραία, είδαμε πολλά όμορφα μέρη, κολυμπήσαμε στη θάλασσα και αγαπήσαμε τη Μαδρίτη όταν την επισκεπτήκαμε για λίγο, νομίζουμε πως είναι μια υπέροχη πόλη! Γνώρισα εκεί μια όμορφη κοπέλα που ονομάζεται Μαρία και ακόμα ανταλλάζουμε μηνύματα e-mail και μιλάμε στο τηλέφωνο. Σχεδιάζω να παω στην Ισπανία να την επισκεπτώ τον επόμενο μήνα. Εχω τα ίδια χόμπι, σήμερα το πρωί έπαιξα εναν αγώνα ποδοσφαίρου και η ομάδα μου νίκησε 2-0. Ακόμα μαθαίνω γλώσσες και κάνω μποξ. Αύριο πάω σινεμά να δω την καινούρια ταινία "Baby Fockers", αγαπάω αυτές τις ταινίες! Σου λείπει το Λονδίνο; Ελπίζω να μπορέσεις να με επισκεφτείς στο μέλλον.

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5363 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 24 of 45
10 January 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Dear James,
I send this letter to you to reply to the letter which you sent me last week. I'm pleased to know that your work is
going well and that you have settled into your new house in Manchester.
I'm good, my University studies are going well although learning languages is difficult. Last August, me and my
family went on holiday to Spani, we enjoyed ourselves very much and we saw many beautiful places, we swam in
the sea and we loved going to Madrid and we think that it is an incredible city. I met a beautiful Spanish girl
there called Maria and we still talk by e-mail and phone, I'm going to see her in Spain next month.
I still have the same hobbies, this morning I played a football match and my team won 2-0. I'm still learning
languages and I still do boxing. Tomorrow I'm going to the cinema to watch the new movie "Baby Fockers", I love
these films!

Translated into my native language, Greenlandic:

Jammannguaq,
Allangaq una sapaatip akunnera kingullermi uannut nassiussat akiniarlungu ilinnut nassiuppara.
Nuannaarutingaara suliffimmi nuannersumi sulisalersimasutit, Manchesterimilu illut sungiussimangit.
Uanga ajunngilanga, universitetimilu ilinniakkakka aamma ajunngitsumik ingerlapput, naak oqaatsinik nutaanik
ilinniarneq nalunaraluartoq.
Ukioq kingullermi aggustimi uanga ilaquttakkalu Spaniami feeriarpungut. Assut nuannisarpungut, taakanilu
nunanik kusanartunik takusaqarpungut. Immami naluppungut Madridiliarnerlu nuannarivarput,
isumaqarpungullu illoqarfik taanna assut tupinnartoq.
Taakaniinnitsinni spaniamioq arnaq assut pinnersoq Mariamik atilik naapippara, sulilu e-mail-kkut
oqarasuartaatikkullu oqaloqatingiittarpungut. Qaammatip tulliani Spaniami naapinniarpungut.
Sunngiffimmi sammisakka allanngornikuunngillat, ullumi ullaaq holdikkalu arsarpunga 2-0-lu ajungaalluta.
Suli oqaatsinik ilinniarpunga tilluuttarlungalu. Aqangu biografimi filmi nutaaq "Baby Fockers"-imik atilik
isinginnaarniarpara. Filmit taakkua assut alutornaraakka!
London-imut angerlarserpit? Neriuppunga siunissami qanittumi pulaarsinnaassasutit kammak?

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version