Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
Martin M
United States
Joined 5065 days ago

20 posts - 26 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
08 January 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know about the programs offered here? I remember a couple of professors at college singing its praises. I believe it was named the Monterey Language Institute before but I'm not quite sure.

Just wanted to know if any forum members had any knowledge/experience of it. What types of materials does it use? Are they similar to FSI?

Thanks.

Edited by Martin M on 08 January 2011 at 10:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4878 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 2
23 January 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
I'm an alumna. :-)

It's part of Monterey Institute of International Studies, a grad school that specializes in diplomacy / int'l business, etc. They have a summer intensive program, which I did, and a shorter winter intensive program.

Back in the day (2004!) I really loved it. My teachers were all native speakers from the Defense Language Institute. It was typical classroom learning, but with VERY small classes (at least for the highest level of Arabic, I think more common languages and lower levels were probably bigger) ... about 4-5 students only so there was much more one on one time with the teacher. Of course, every teacher is different but all in all I liked them and it was about 5 hours a day of classes, plus there were conversation groups and different activities like watching Al-Jazeera or movies, etc.

That said, a lot of my classmates whined about various things for various reasons: too hard, too easy, too much grammar homework, not enough grammar homework. But I think anyone who goes there who has a reasonable teacher who conducts most of the class in L2 (as a few of mine did) and allows a lot of participation who really really wants to learn (not just spend their summer by the beach!) will really like it, like me.

Hope that helps!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version