Korea, South
Joined 4875 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Vietnamese, French

Message 1 of 1
09 January 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm relatively new on here, this is my first post though I've been using this site for a while, as a source of inspiration and advice. So I'd like to thank all the members of this site and it's creator~

This year I've decided to get serious about my language learning and so I decided a good way to motivate myself would be to keep a log for the year, so it's a little easier to see how far I've progressed (or not, as the case may be).

I'm studying 3 languages:

Vietnamese - This was my major at university, however I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten almost all so I class myself as a beginner.
Korean - I've been self-studying Korean for a while now, I can carry a VERY basic conversation. I still class myself as bneginner, not intermediate. I still lack a lot of the basic grammar and vocab.
French: Studied for 5 years at school, forgotten most though sometimes I find I can understand basic texts.

So, basically I see myself as a "beginner" in all 3, although for all of them, the term "almost-beginner" could be more accurate as I do have a BASIC knowledge of the three.

This year my goal is to get to an intermediate level in all 3. I'm not sure if this is expecting too much or not. Also I don't know exactly how I would measure "intermediate". Roughly speaking, I'd at least like to see a marked improvement in all 3. That is to say, hold a more detailed and varied conversaton than now. Read a newspaper or website and at least get the jist of what they are saying.

Korean - I live in Korea so I'm leaning towards giving this language more attention than the others. For example, if I REALLY improved my Korean this year, and just improved my French and Vietnamese a little, it could be acceptable to me. My boyfriend recommended I try taking the TOPIK test as it will give me something to work towards, and motivate my language learning. I think that's a great idea, so I'll try to take (and pass) the beginners TOPIK this year. For Korean I'm currently using Elementary Korean, it's quite dry but the grammar is pretty easy to follow. However, it's introducing vocab at a really slow rate so I bought 500 Basic Verbs and 500 Basic Adjectives. I'm making flashcards and hoping to learn them as rapidly as I can. Today I learned 20 new verbs and 20 adjectives.

Vietnamese: I'm REALLY ashamed to say this but I have to because if I don't admit the fact, I'll just keep cheating myself. I have been using the Teach Yourself Vietnamese book to revise and revive my long-forgotten Vietnamese but I've been using this book for about 2 years now and I've never progressed past lesson 6. Pure laziness. I don't find the book terribly boring or difficult. Just I always get lazy and give up. So the first thing to do is to finish the book which realistically, if I put some consistent effort in, could be done in a couple of months (even less?). After that though, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to study Vietnamese further. I am trying to find a language exchange partner here in Seoul. I have friends in Vietnam who I can practice reading and writing with, however the tricky part of Vietnamese is really the speaking and listening because of the tones. Anyway, I'll cross that path later: first thing to do is to get through the Teach Yourself book and find a language partner who I can talk with.

French: Currently using French in 3 Months, it's fine so far. I am thinking of investing in a French tutor once a week also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get annoyed at myself because I know I'm capable of learning these languages, just my own laziness gets in the way. That's why I'm doing this - as extra motivation, if I fail, this whole community is witness.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version