Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5070 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 24
09 January 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Interesting question. My grandparents and even great-grandparents were more into languages than my parents.
For instance, my great-grandfather knew Slovene, German, Serbian, and Czech and my great-grandmother the
same - Czech + French. My grandmother and great-aunt knew Latin very well, as well as French, German,
Slovene, and Serbian. My grandfather knew French, German, Serbian, and Russian. So there was definitely a sense
in the upper-middle class that knowing a few languages (French, German, and either English or Russian) was
important.

On the other hand, whereas my father studied French, German, and English in school, he only became fluent in
English because he moved to the US and really learned it here. He respects languages a lot, especially French and
German, but I would say looks down a bit on Spanish (which is what I'm learning now). In fact, he wanted to have
me learn French in school, but my mother absolutely would not have it.

My mother has historically expressed a disdain for foreign language learning. She says that English is the lingua
franca and that nowadays learning languages is a waste of time, since they are just a medium of communication.
On the other hand, she does have a sort of classical snobbery and wouldn't mind me learning Latin, ancient
Greek, or Biblical Hebrew. She absolutely hates French and her having me take Spanish in school was as
much because Spanish is more spoken and more relevant in the US as a product of the "anything but French"
mentality. Had my high school offered French vs. Zulu, I'm sure she would have preferred I take Zulu.

That was when I was growing up. Today they think it's a bit funny that I study Spanish. My mother thinks I do too
much of it, saying that if I had devoted as much time to "my mother tongue" (Serbian), I would speak it perfectly
by now. Every now and then, she will say, "what you really should learn is Russian/ancient Greek." Like many
Serbs, she is a Hellenophile and a Russophile. My father certainly does not respect Spanish as he does French and
German, but I try to draw in his interest by pointing out the ways in which Spanish lines up with French, or points
of grammar that are more complex in Spanish, etc. He likes linguistic discussions, so that does draw in his
interest.

My sister looks down on both French and Spanish. She took French in school and purposely refused to pronounce
it correctly, although it seems she could have done so quite well. She hates Spanish and absolutely refuses to
learn it, despite its potential usefulness in her profession. She also tells me that the Castilian Spanish I'm learning
"sounds gay" due to its supposed lisp, after which my dad jokes that I am learning "gay Spanish," (as opposed to
the heterosexual variety).

Now, I know that if I learn Spanish well and take up French, my mother will lose it and my father will love it. If I
take up German, my sister will rail on the supposed evilness of the people whose language I am learning. If I take
up Italian, my sister will approve and my mother and father will laugh. If I take up Russian, everyone in the house
will be content.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4911 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 10 of 24
09 January 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
My paternal grandmother used to speak fluent gallo, my paternal grandfather "Gwenedeg" Breton, and my maternal grandparents both speak "Kerneveg" Breton. Unfortunately they didn't really pass on the language to my parents, and neither them, nor my sister or me speak Breton, or only very few words.

A sister of my father moved to England and got two kids, whom I used to be really envious of because they were bilingual, and I think that's what triggered my motivation to speak other languages. My dad did Latin and Greek at school, alongside English and Spanish, but hasn't retained much. My mum did English but is completely useless at it. A late great uncle was a monk and I think he spoke something like 30-40 languages, and that really inspired me, even though I never got a chance to meet him.

We have to study at least two foreign languages at school in France, although if you manage it well, you can take up to 4 languages (I did 3), and I had a school that wanted to open itself on the world and were offering further classes in English, so that's how I got to improve mine.

Now I can't say my family is really into languages. My mum doesn't really care about learning them, neither does my sister who can get by in English, and thinks it's enough for her. Due to the nature of my dad's, he's more encline to learning languages, and is trying to make efforts in English. He also did a bit of Michel Thomas, so whenever there's a word in French that's of Arab origins, we start talking Arab-sounding gibberish (he "speaks" Egyptian and I "speak" Syrian).

If we're not that much into foreign languages, we're definitely careful of our mother tongue and often fight over grammar rules, vocabulary, expressions that should be used or not and often have fun facts about French or other languages, which I'm quite appreciative of. Or sometimes, we'll be the complete opposite with my sister and completely butcher the language in a way or another, be it using English in French, speaking verlan, or putting on silly accents.

Edited by Préposition on 09 January 2011 at 11:47pm

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5899 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 24
10 January 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Do you involve your family in your languages, or would you be considered a freak if you did so?

I am considered a freak, but for a host of other reasons.

ilperugino
Pentaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4971 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 24
10 January 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I don´t for now but soon will: my mother learned chinese some years ago, has no one to pratice it with and regrets the seemingly lost effort, so I´ll try to catch her up somewhat this year on a language I never intended before.     
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 24
10 January 2011 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
In my family we've been involving others in some way all the time :)

At some point my father (who has only spotty English and even more spotty German vocabularies, and reads French with little effort, even if he speaks none of them) enrolled in a local languages school to study German, and he enrolled my mother and me as well (surprise!)

My mother enrolled in English classes recently, in advance of her retirement (she's planning to travel a lot and she wants to add to her perfectly accentless, if rusty, French), so I help her a bit now and then, and I keep gently teasing her about her classes, etc.

Now, I have developed this little 'f***ing advanced' game to tease my brother, because he's somewhat of a showoff. Basically I come up with random colloquial expressions or words that are as simple/common as possible and yet extremely advanced or unlikely to be known from the point of view of a foreign language student (usually because of lack of exposure). When I find something, I approach him and ask him 'ok, if you're so f***ing advanced, how come you don't know...?'. Always a laugh when I get it right and he doesn't know it. Last one was 'chickpea', a vegetable we use somewhat often.

Besides that, as a general rule I always try to help people waste as little time as possible, and I always tell them about how I failed at things so they can make their own, _different_ mistakes. One of these things was not getting official titles for my languages long ago. Taking my little game a step further, I'm thinking of enrolling my brother in a language school and going 'ok, if you're so f***ing advanced, you certainly won't mind to take this official test (on me) in two weeks' time, right?' :)

Edited by mrwarper on 10 January 2011 at 4:33am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5939 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 14 of 24
10 January 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
Now, I know that if I learn Spanish well and take up French, my mother will lose it and my father will love it. If I take up German, my sister will rail on the supposed evilness of the people whose language I am learning. If I take up Italian, my sister will approve and my mother and father will laugh. If I take up Russian, everyone in the house will be content.

I think you should take up something completely random, like the Zulu you mentioned before, just to see what their reaction would be. :P

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 24
10 January 2011 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
No. We don't talk about languages in my family. I come from a very uncommunicative family, to say the least.(pun intended!)

We didn't talk much at home, at least not as easily and as honestly as many more extroverted folks. Neither parent was interested in foreign language or spoke anything other than English. There was a lot of family tension and parental conflict at home, so I mostly hid myself away with books and words and stories. I had friends to talk to, of course, but most of the talking at home came from the TV. I didn't really feel comfortable conversing freely until I got into my university classes. So, I sort of learned to speak at about age 20 - and that's just English!

I heard Polish from my grandparents, but they had zero interest in teaching me. Later on, everyone was tolerant, if a little bemused, when I took up Spanish in school, but it was never really discussed amongst us. Today, they are aware that I study languages, but don't have much to say about it, big surprise. But I don't bring up the subject much anyway. I have no children, but if I had any, I would certainly want to share my enjoyment of language with them - that must be very rewarding!

The only other person in my family who studies languages is my youngest sister. She is an Art Historian and needs competence in several languages for her work and travels. We talk about languages sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder if I like to work on language learning as much as I do just to make up for all those silent years!

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 24
10 January 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I speak French to my little girl and have been pleased to find that she will sometimes respond to me in French! It
mostly revolves around food or games that we play. She will ask for bleuets or framboises or une serviette, tell
me what she wants to do, what she likes. It just thrills me! She's figured out that if she asks for something in
French, she's more likely to get it from me.     

When she was very young and just learning to talk, she kept saying "gace" and pointing to the freezer. I figured
out she was asking for "glace" (ice cream) and gave it to her for breakfast! For those of you who were fortunate
enough to have had exposure to another language as a child, this may seem ordinary. I grew up in a
monolingual environment and learned French and Spanish the hard way, with a lot of memorization and work
with a textbook and tapes (this was before CDs were common!) followed by practice with native speakers. It just
seems awesome that I can share my love of languages with her in a painless way and she gets it! No
conjugation, partitive, stress pronouns ... I speak and she understands. Just like learning English. And now she's
enjoying speaking back to me, although her comprehension is still better than her production.   

Unfortunately, no one else in the family shares my interest in languages, although it's tolerated and thought of
as rather odd, but everyone has their own interests. I'm just glad that my daughter is interested in something
that I love! She really wants to go to France this summer to practice more. I was leaning more toward Spain, but
if she asks me in French ...    

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version