United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 81 of 420
26 September 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Thanks, yeah, N2. It's a big stretch for me, but actually that's a good thing, really.   It's funny, but the minute I put the letter in the mail, I got this slightly anxious feeling that I gotta' study more.   I'm in a prep class for N2, so I figured I might as well take it -- though nearly everyone in this same class took N2 last year and failed, they're still all here.   

These tests require an ability to know what is not natural sounding Japanese, and I'm afraid I still have a bit of a 'beginner's mind' with Japanese, and my brain can twist any nonsense utterance into making sense. So I think maybe that's going to be a bit of a problem.

My emphasis is mostly Listening and Grammar. The class is covering grammar pretty methodically, so I'm just going to take this class seriously and actually study, and I'm hoping this gets me close to knowing all the grammar.   That and I just bought some practice CD's for JLPT2 and I'm looking those over now.    We'll see how it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 82 of 420
03 October 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
地獄少女のOP

Well, I got hooked on this, especially season 3 which I grabbed off of the nautical pirate site which I will not mention.   Been watching with electrical tape over the English subtitles.   Actually it has a lot of repetitive dialog. Hell girl basically makes exactly the same speech every episode, which helps for comprehension.

その番組は面白くてはちょっと怖いです。   

日本語能力試験 N2/N3文法対策標準テ キスト

それは授業の教科書です。  一週間中1課 を勉強しています。   今週23の文法の 型を習ったけど、 たくさん忘れてしまった 。   仕事も忙しいです。 次のゲームプログラミングの仕事はハロウィ ーン締め切りから、 ハロウィーン後で日本 語とフィンランド語を勉強する機会が増える とおもいます。

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 83 of 420
03 October 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
最近返事は文字化けがないです。  幸運な ことらしい。

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 84 of 420
31 October 2011 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Well, work is crazy busy. But I'm managing to squeeze in time for JLPT N2 grammar.

Today, this week's chapter s 11 mono and 14 koto. Uh, I think actually I'm starting to get better at guessing the answers to these grammar problems.    I think oddly, I have pretty good retention from grammar books. That I do remember the formula from these -- I just horrified a guy in mY Japanese class who has much more intuitive abilities with this language, when I answered problems in class by reciting exactly what the grammar book said. This is my brain's strange ability.

On the practice reading I've tried reading every sentence exactly twice, and I find that I'm largely understanding what I'm reading, but often the questions are tricky and I miss the answers. I'm kind of getting a vague but not precise picture. Maybe this will be enough to fake it through.

Listening on the N2 is going to be a train wreck, I'm afraid.   I do remember on the N3, kind of cheating a little on the listening, because some of the answers are so absurd that people in the room laugh, and then I know what's a wrong answer. I see this happening in class with these listening problems.    I missed one because of not hearing these, which went by fast. 初旬 下旬 中旬. The longer listening question, I have just have huge issues with short term memory in Japanese. Like I'll hear words and a minute later my memory is wiped. Shorter sentences are okay, but long stuff utterances go in and out.

I've been watching more jigoku shoujo and I have 495 episodes of One Piece. I've gone through about 18 of them, so I have just over 477 remaining.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 85 of 420
19 November 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm about 30 episodes into One Piece now. I'm getting in one every few days for awhile, but last week I've been down in LA to visit my father, and my Anime collection is all in Northern California. Southern California does have a Japanese TV -- maybe it's about 30% Japanese language programming? It's not Japanese all the time, but it's enough to get quite a bit of TV watching in down there.

I take my work with me to LA, and right now, there's work, and and I have to take care of my father's business and visit him, and then more work -- and this Saturday is the final for my JLPT prep class, and then a couple weeks from now the actual JLPT.

I think I'm feeling okay about vocab and grammar. I've pretty much kept up with the class so my grammar study is on track, though quite a few of these grammar patterns are totally new to me, so honestly, I think I need another year or so to really get these down. Sometimes I can guess on the multiple choice tests and get them right -- though I'm still like often confused about wari versus hodo -- I find I have zero intuition for what is wrong Japanese, so that's going to be a problem on the tests.

Listening, I'm afraid is going to be train wreck, but I kind of expect this. It's always my weakest point. I have a 5 hour drive to LA and I do get quite a bit of listening on that. Coming back, I have a Grammar CD that came with one of my books and it lists off sample Japanese grammar sentences one after another, one for each grammar issue, and I listened to that. In LA I did go to the Japanese meetup in Santa Monica in LA and did actually speak some Japanese -- though conversationally, I'm like total beginner level.   I'm much better in chat rooms and other text based formats.

Anyway, what can I say. It's all for fun.   After this December after JLPT, I want to get back onto Finnish study and get my flash cards going again, and start on Lang-8 again.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 86 of 420
20 November 2011 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
That's another class final completed. I've been through my first year of this level of classes at the sokogakuen here in San Francisco.   I think I've been through about 12 classes at this place now oveer 3 years. Final wasn't too bad, though I know of some mistakes. I wasn't sure about karaka versus ka -- and some other screwups -- I have two weeks now until JLPT. Work, unfortunately, is not cooperating and I'm trying to squeeze as much time as I can in.

I'm just leaving characters for now, since I don't have to write for the JLPT. I think I'm going to go over some practice tests. Also I just have too many papers and other junk. I have to toss out another big pile of paper before I get buried.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 87 of 420
05 December 2011 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
So, the JLPT N2 is over. Anyone else take this? I'm afraid the new format is mucking with my time management, because I think I'm dawdling too much on the beginning stuff and not giving myself enough time on the reading. Or maybe I think it's that my reading comprehension of complex sentences is still a a little broken. That often I know all the words but I'm not quite following what I'm reading. I'm afraid that work ate into my Japanese study time this year, but this isn't altogether a bad thing, because it means I'm not desperately poor.

I pretty much ignored Kanji this year, and I don't think I saw a single character I couldn't read. I spent most of my actual study time on grammar, and I knew some of these and used the 'what sounds about right' system to pick the answers otherwise. For reading, I ran out of time and really rushed the end. Listening was kind of a disaster, as expected, and maybe 10=20% I knew the answers, and maybe another 20% I knew that some answers were obviously wrong. I would be very surprised if I get over   50% right on the listening. Oh well, there's always next year, I think.   Honestly the N2 is a huge stretch for me, and I think maybe next hear I'll be more in the ballpark.   I saw quite a few people from my class at the JLPT test, so after the JLPT we actually went to this place that has Japanese Karaoke.   Some of these guys have these songs down. I need to listen to more music, one of these days, I think. I slip into a strange fog when I'm in these kinds of social situations and just drift off, I'm afraid.

Anyway, my plan was to get back to Lang-8 now that the JLPT is over, and I mean to do that. I might be making more noise here, on the account of this.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 88 of 420
05 December 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Lang-8 post

今夜のラングエットで書いたこと。 それは 短いことだけ。  

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version