United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 273 of 420
12 February 2013 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
Well, the thing is I can't get the conjugation right if I don't the word in the first place. The rules are complex, but the deal is that often I can kind of guess, and the weird ones I see more often anyway. Otherwise I just make mistakes, and I just try not to stress out about it. Right now my aim is for vocab quantity rather than perfection.

I don't know about other people, but I find words incredibly handy. I think it's all good -- that is until you end up with a deck full words all with a meaning of 'establish' or 'situation' or something this, that's when single words break down.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 274 of 420
15 March 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm working the new job,which earns respectable middle-class level salary, and I'm just so busy. I've
been pretty good with the anki And Finnish vocab on the train, though I'm always behind on reviews. I necer
catch up. I'm also still in the Saturday Japanese class. I went once to the bilngual Toastmaster's group,
though I didn't say much.

feeling a little terse, cuz' It's 5:15 am and I'm in bed and on my iPad.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 275 of 420
03 September 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ilU8TcEW0

Been busy with work. Keeping up with Japanese pretty reasonably due to the class, though Finnish is suffering.

Like this song.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 276 of 420
09 September 2013 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E8%83%BD %E5%8A%9B%E8%A9%A6%E9%A8%93-%E6%A8%A1%E8%A9%A6%E3%81%A8%E5%A F%BE%E7%AD%96-N2-%E6%96%B0JLPT%E7%A0%94%E7%A9%B6%E4%BC%9A/dp /4872177444/ref=pd_sim_b_6/378-8848053-2639056

This time, I'm not kidding with the JLPT N2. It's just September and I have a few months left until December. I bought this book here, and I'm going through the questions -- answering and then checking.   Except so far I'm find I'm making a lot of mistakes, so as of yet, not feeling super-optimistic. We'll see.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 277 of 420
08 October 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Well, still a few more months until I take the N2 for the 3rd time. This time I'm serious, I swear it, so I'm making at effort at cramming as much as work permits between now and December.   Tonight I've going through some of the N2 word jumble puzzles, (which were assigned by my class) and of the 12 I was correct on 5 of them. So, ooh, not so good.   By pure chance 3 would have been correct. Owe.

I am going back and checking and trying to decode why I'm wrong and then translate the problems back to English. I think I've decided going for 'what feels right' is always wrong on these things, and what I need to do is slow down and think, and puzzle them out. That seems to get better results. For listening, I'm just going to ignore it. I don't think anything I'm going to do will help that much in the time left -- but that picking up forgotten or confusing characters and grammar issues will help.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 278 of 420
08 October 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Well since the pass mark on JLPT is only 50% you only needed to get 6/12 anyway!

The word jumble questions are horrible. They are also a really tiny part of the exam.
Listening, on the other hand, carries a third of the marks. Reading is another third. So I
wouldn't spend all your time on grammar and vocab.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 279 of 420
08 October 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
For listening, I'm just going to ignore it. I don't think anything I'm going to do will help that much in the time left -- but that picking up forgotten or confusing characters and grammar issues will help.
But you have plenty of time left to do more listening!!! Even an hour a day for 2-3 weeks can bring significant improvement, and you have a lot more time than that.

Listening is not inherently difficult. It just takes time, and to understand natives you need to actually listen to natives. Coursebooks prepare you for reading native materials far better than their recordings can prepare you for listening!

idk if you've seen the wikia? some ideas there at least.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 280 of 420
08 October 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Well, yeah, JLPT listening is an odd fish. It's not really like listening to natives, which is more difficult, but I think maybe is easier to fake. That is you pick out a word here or there, ask them about their job/school or something -- that seems to go a long way.

JLPT is really textbook-ese', that is polite, grammatically correct, clearly spoken but engineered to trip you up if you're guessing at what they're saying. I'm in my 6th year of this, so really I have a pretty decent collection, now, of practice CD's and stuff I'm copied off of the Uzbekistan site. I'll dig into this more, though I think I'm just getting weary of listening to all this stilted conversation.

These word jumble puzzles are interesting. They are a weird skill that's nothing like anything outside of JLPT, so that's why maybe they might benefit from targeted practice.

Edited by cathrynm on 08 October 2013 at 4:50pm

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version