United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 337 of 420
07 December 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Ooh I'm not sure how much of the core 6K I know.   I think I know quite a few words, though I think sometimes I
don't have a good feel for how to use them, and I sometimes get befuddled by complex sentences. I think the last
few times I took N2, that the times I didn't know a kanji were very rare. For me, I think I sort of feel like I
understand things, though on the tests I often fail because I fall for the traps. Or they're asking for a slightly more
subtle detail.

Anyway, tomorrow is JLPT, so good luck anyone out there.   I did take my class and I did make it completely through
a vocab textbook in addition to that. Not a huge amount of extra studying, but I did do some.    On practice tests
though, I'm kind of bombing still, so not feeling hugely confident. But that's how it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 338 of 420
07 December 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Also I have been listening to a lot of Japanese music lately. Don't know if that helps or not. Actually the vocab in
these songs is pretty hard, and there's quite a few things I only get after looking them up on the internet. So
anyway, I'm going back to be a little bit of the 'all japanese all the time' type system of just letting this stuff run
constantly. We'll see if that makes any difference.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 339 of 420
08 December 2014 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
And so another JLPT N2 attempt is over. I'm exhausted. I did the test backwards, reading first, and then grammar. Or specifically, I went back to front with all the readings up until the 'word jumble'questions. Then I went back to the start and went forwards. I think this is the way to go for the next time. That I put thought into the long reading sections, and then when I get panicky and short of time, I rush through the kanji/vocab section. The thing is even though I may not know everything in the vocab section, that quick reading, fast guess actually works better here. I've had other N2's where I'm rushing through the reading, and this is just a disaster.

I'm cautiously optimistic my reading will be better, and my kanji/vocab won't suffer too much from this. Listening, I'm afraid, was a little bit of a mess, and mostly I'm guessing. Out of 30 questions, I don't think more than 5 were ones I actually knew, and most were guesses, really. So this isn't really happening. Will try again next year, probably.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4964 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 340 of 420
08 December 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I think I have the potential to really do well on the listening but didn't unfortunately. That's an interesting idea
doing the reading first. I'm promising myself I'll kill the test next year.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 341 of 420
08 December 2014 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I have convinced myself so far on this 'read first' system. I'm hoping my score will reflect this. I do feel like I need more vocabulary still. On grammar, I think I'm actually starting to memorize these, as this class I'm in has been going over and over N2 grammar every year for 4 years now. Some of these things are starting to settle in, though still it's a little spotty. I had a few huh moments in though. 妥当 -- this is the only tragic one, that I remembered on the drive home. Some of the others though, I didn't recognize at all. I think I'm getting yet another 語彙 book for next year. None of the words I missed were in this year's goi book. The vocab study books are easy for me, and I can squeeze them in on the ride to work.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 342 of 420
15 December 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Slacking a little, but spent all day watching Finnish TV. Got YLE playing on my iPad, and then on the big screen via a program called 'AirServer' -- which basically does what a AppleTV does without the hardware. Mostly celebrity inerviews, a lot of the stuff on here is Swedish subbed into Finnish, which I'm skipping. Some show called lähti- hetki? "Moment with the Stars".

Still don't have any PS4 games that run in FInnish, maybe this is too much to ask.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 343 of 420
01 February 2015 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
JLPT results again, and failed the N2. 33/15/27 -- so better than last time, actually listening went up a bit, but still failed.   75, but need 90 to pass.

I have been studying, really, I have been hugely distracted by weight loss and work lately. That's how it goes. I'll take again in 2015
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 344 of 420
22 February 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
https://twitter.com/NISE_TOEIC

This twitter feed is a treasure trove of weird.  English-Japanese sentences, but all slightly strange.

【四つんばい】Let's start from where we left off yesterday.Please take your clothes off and get down on all fours.

昨日途中でやめたとこから始めましょう。裸 で四つんばいになって下さい

【喉ちんこ】uvula 用例 I will have seen my mother's uvula twenty times if I see it again.

もう1回見たら、私は母の喉ちんこを20回見た ことになります。

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version