junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 361 of 420
15 June 2015 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
http://www.crunchyroll.com/hell-girl-two-mirrors/episode-2-b ubbles-601645

I kind of need to wash a little bit of that 'live action hell girl' out of my brain, by watching the anime again. This is a deeply twisted series, and this here is one of the most dark episodes. It's a little scarring, though I confess to an appetite for this kind of thing. Has a nice little Noh type thing going on near the end. I hear there's a revival of Noh among the younger generation these days.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 362 of 420
17 June 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I'm starting to see a pattern with Finnish. I was like this with Japanese. First there's a period of denial, how lousy I really am at this language. And then comes this idea that I'm just going to pick it up by watching TV or doing fun stuff. But then, that comes to end, and it just becomes time to hammer, hammer, hammer on the flash cards.   I have the Memrise 3000 most common and another Anki deck I made from Teach Yourself FInnish. I've been doing the Anki deck on the train, and the Memrise deck at home after work, doesn't seem to matter as there's a fair amount of overlap.   Flash cards, for all the wrechedness of them, I do get a sense of measurable progress, and I like that feeling.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 363 of 420
17 June 2015 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
I think you would benefit from solving specific problems :)
Fun stuff can be used for learning, even very early. I think a big divide in language learning is whether it's more fun for you to learn formally (vocab&grammar) or to read children's books. (I don't really enjoy either, but some children's books are great, especially Moomins)
I wonder if it's demotivating to see how HTLAL'ers learning for example Spanish just appear to get everything effortlessly and have fun from the beginning. But that's misleading :) Spanish is such a mess tbh :P
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 364 of 420
19 June 2015 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
Really, I should just start getting some Finnish fiction. I have a Moomin book in Japanese, maybe could get the same one in Finnish, that might be interesting. I could easily throw some of my 'middle-class income' at building up a collection.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 365 of 420
19 June 2015 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Hmm, well, pretty slim pickings on American Amazon for anything Finnish. Lot of them are by this Onyx Translations company, which I'm not sure if I trust or not. They don't show any text in the preview which makes me suspicious. I need to find a better source.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 366 of 420
22 June 2015 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Summertime/kesäyö -- in Finnish. Still getting pretty good time in on Memrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MSvZPTURo

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3461 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 367 of 420
24 June 2015 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
I just figured I'd learn the 3000 words and then review once I got
through the 3000. Maybe that's not a great idea.

Anyway, like everything these days, I think it comes from Wikipedia. Someone made a
list of Finnish words in order of frequency and then everything you see online
basically is derived from this one list. So far, near as I can tell, all the words
seem relatively normal.

I know this deck. It has been created by some guy who parsed YLE website. So, deck is
good if you want to read news. Although it has some errors. For instance, I recall
Turku was translated like "Marketplace" and Matti (name) was translate as (guy or
fellow, don't remember exactly). So, be cautious.
There is nice website http://www.worddive.com/en/
It has paid subscription, something like 10 euros per month. I've canceled it already
because I'm now using my own cards. But It was very valuable for me to acquire solid
foundation for my vocab.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 368 of 420
28 June 2015 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
I've seen the Turku card go by and it was just put in as Turku (the city, I think), so maybe this list has gone through some corrections. It's quite active on memrise and I see other people on the leaderboards hammering on this same deck day after day. Right now I'm about 1/4 through the words. In another 2 months or so I should get through the whole thing if I can keep up my current pace. (Though Japanese class is restarting, and I'm starting to think about JLPT again.)

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version