junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 377 of 420
26 July 2015 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
https://www.facebook.com/VaddaTseeliVatjaaSanaPaivassa?fref= nf

This Facebook feed does daily vocabulary in Votic, Finnish, Estonian, Russian and English.   I'm only really interested in the Finnish and English for study, but sometime it's interesting to see the differences between Votic/Finnish/Estonian. Some words are quite similar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 378 of 420
10 August 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
I got a copy of N2スピードマスター読解 -- these are all reading exercises. I've been sitting on this book, but today I've finally started on it, and I find I'm getting some momentum here. Actually the first ones aren't so bad.

Continuing with memrise 3000 Finnish words and Yle Radio Suomi. I've seen the first 1500 of these, still a long way to go. A lot of these words are transitive/intransitive pairs and verbal nouns -- which makes it a little easier to go through.   There's kind of a pattern to transitive/intransitive, I think intransitive seems to have more 'y's at the end.

This one is a little confusing tarkistaa tarkastaa. I think both are transitive.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tarkistaa

"Tarkastaa and tarkistaa are very close to each other in their meaning. However, tarkastaa means "to check, inspect, look at, study" and "to study the suitability, competence or qualifications of sth, e.g. in order to find possible defects", whereas tarkistaa means "to check, inspect, look" and "to study" and at the same time "to correct or amend the possible flaws or defects"."

Posting it here, to drum in the difference a little better.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 379 of 420
17 August 2015 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Still slowly plugging away at Memrise top 3000 Finnish. I know this is completely pointless, but this is the videogame programmer in me, I'm starting to crack the 100-all time high score on this vocab list.

Also in class we're going over the chapters of 完全マスターN2文法 -- I've been through this grammar multiple times, my textbook is worn and dirty, and I confess -- still confused by にさておき -- and other of these grammars. I think I understand reading, but the exercises are still baffling.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 380 of 420
20 August 2015 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
The 'Frequentative aspect' -- trying to wrap my brain around the 'frequentative aspect' in Finnish. I've read discussions of 'aspect' on language learning forums, but this doesn't come up in Japanese so often so I'm not really familiar with it. From a flash card, selvitellä: to sort out. Derived from 'selvittää: to clarify'. Here's an example on Wikipedia.

F:Tilanne on nyt hieman sekava, yritän selvitellä sitä myöhemmin.
E:The situation is a bit confused at the moment, I'll try to sort it out later

F:Minä selvitin mysteerin.
E:I solved the mystery.

I'm guessing, selvittää is a singular act of solving -- selvitellä implies a continuous act of solving later, perhaps.

Wikipedia has a nice list of Finnish Frequentative aspect verb endings. Learning these will help remembering verbs, I think.

-ella~-ele-: bare frequentative.
-skella~-skele-: frequentative unergative verb, where the action is wanton (arbitrary)
-stella~-stele-: frequentative causative, where the subject causes something indicated in the root, as "order" vs. "to continuously try to put something in order".
-nnella~-ntele-: a frequentative, where an actor is required. The marker -nt- indicates a continuing effort, therefore -ntele- indicates a series of such efforts.
-elehtia~-elehdi-: movement that is random and compulsive, as in under pain, e.g. vääntelehtiä "writhe in pain", or heittelehtiä "to swerve"
-:ia-~-i-: a continuing action definitely at a point in time, where the action or effort is repeated.
-ksia~-ksi-: same as -i-, but wanton, cf. -skella

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequentative
3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 381 of 420
20 August 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Also in class we're going over the chapters of 完全マスターN2文法 -- I've been
through this grammar multiple times, my textbook is worn and dirty, and I confess -- still
confused by にさておき -- and other of these grammars. I think I understand reading, but the
exercises are still baffling.

I didn't recall that one so I went hunting. p53 has はさておき, but that's the nearest I can
see. I find all of that particular chapter troubling - none of it seems to stick, not even as
a hazy memory.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 382 of 420
23 August 2015 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Ooops, oops, yea, にさておき。  Yeah, my textbook is absolutely worn out, and I'm still forgetting these things. I can sort of remember them for a bit, but then don't have a long half-life in my brain.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 383 of 420
15 September 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Anyway, not much new to report. Continuing to plow through the top 3000 Finnish words on memrise, and did listen to some YLE today. They have a weird mix of English language songs, mixed in with similar sounding Finnish songs. That and news, maybe I need to read the news more, since I was a little lost today.

Also just finished off my JLPT class at the Sokogakuen. Signed up for the next class.   Anyway, just plugging away, as usual. Many things still to learn, not enough time.

The game I'm working on, and the reason why my language progress is a little spotty these days, just got released worldwide. We support English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Turkish, Russian, and Portuguese?   No Finnish or Japanese yet though. Ahem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kabam.swat &hl=en

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 384 of 420
27 September 2015 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Ack, I screwed up. The deadline for the JLPT was yesterday. I'll have to wait until 2016 to take this. Oh well.

Anyway, still doing my JLPT class. Going through grammar and kanji, as usual. Also still getting some time in on Finnish flash cards -- still trying to get in time on the YLE radio app.

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version