Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 281 of 420
08 October 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
The JLPT may have the odd "tricky" bit, the sentence jumble questions probably being the worst example, but for the most part it really is a test of comprehension. If you can understand the questions, you will be able to select the right answers.

You don't need to spend a lot of time on drill books for the listening section. I worked with some drill books for N3, but when it came to N2 I didn't work with any, apart from the official practice test. If you get yourself to a position where you can understand around 80% of a Japanese TV drama without subtitles, the listening section will become light relief for you after the language knowledge/reading paper. Given the amount of vocab and grammar study you've done already, I expect a good few hours of watching a couple of TV drama series over the next few weeks will go a long way towards unlocking your listening comprehension skills. That will help you both in the test, and in real life. 一石二鳥.

One final word on the sentence jumble questions. On the actual test I only managed to answer just one of them properly. I didn't have the time to waste working out the others, and just marked random answers! Like I said before, it's a tiny part of the marks available on the test as a whole. Unless you absolutely love word puzzles, it's not worth spending too much time on.

Do you have any plans for working on the reading section?
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 282 of 420
09 October 2013 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Let me see. I'm trying out the first section of the listening of my moshitotaisaku book, and I got 6/11, which slightly over 50%. They seem a little easier than the actual N2 I took last year, though maybe I've just gotten better, ahem. I think I'll just work on a bit of these sample listening tests every day. I'll see if the next group is more or less difficult.

Re: 80% understanding of TV -- I don't think I'm near that. I'm not sure how to quantify this really, but my sense is I'm below 50%. I hear words and canned phrases, and now and then I'll pick up an entire utterance. Some of this really is just vocab, and I've tried pausing and looking up words now and then.   I think maybe I need to study vocab without Kanji, because sometimes it clicks if I look it up and read it Kanji with no English.

Edited by cathrynm on 09 October 2013 at 6:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 283 of 420
09 October 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
You just need to watch more TV. Spend an hour a night just watching something. No pausing, no
looking things up. It's the TV equivalent of extensive reading. If you pick, say, one TV
drama series, you will find you understand a lot more of the final episode than the first,
just by watching one or two episodes a day. There's no magic involved here. You say yourself
there are a lot of words you recognise once they're written down. You don't need hiragana
flashcards to solve this problem (and given the amount of homophones you will probably end up
frustrated anyway). You just need more exposure to the usage of these words in relevant
spoken contexts and TV is perfect for this.
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 284 of 420
14 October 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I fully admit to maybe pushing the limits of conscious studying. Really, I have actually been watching a fair amount of Japanese TV over the last decade, and even more going back years before I started consciously studying.   I've been working on the ginga tetudou 999 on Crunchy Roll with black electrical tape over the subtitles. Unfortunately, the Drama selection on Crunchy Roll isn't that great, really. I'm more careful what I download, because I'm getting lured into more political stuff, and in the USA these days I don't want to do hard time for a pirated Finnish film collection.

Anyway, I'm sure my listening comprehension is getting better, but it's taking its sweet time about it, really. If I'm above 50% on JLPT N2 listening, that's a huge victory for me.    

Today, I'm hammering away at more of the N2 book for my class.   Page 147 -- which is more word puzzle stuff, and then hopefully onto Chapter 3 section 1 of kanzenmaster JLPT N2 grammar book sometime tonight.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 285 of 420
14 October 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Ooh these are hard.

今、一番楽しみのは、
1.富士山に登って頂上から日の出を見たい 。
2. 来週のパーティーで世界の各地から来 た人たちと流行することだ。

2 -- according to the cheat sheet.

アンケートに答えた人の中には ____。
1.政治には全く期待できないという人もい た。
2.27%の人が、政治には期待できないと 答えた。

1. According to the cheat sheet.

I think it's the difference between 'のは’ and ’には’ -- which maybe I've never paid that much attention to. Hmm..

Edited by cathrynm on 14 October 2013 at 5:10am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 286 of 420
15 October 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I haven't been on crunchy roll for some years now but if I remember well, aren't there
subtitles for all the videos? That might be the reason why you feel like listening is
freaking hard. If you have subtitles, even unconsciously, you will be looking at them a
bit.

As for the difference between のは and には, the first syllable is more important. For
instance, with the に you will have more the impression of a place, of special time. In
your examples, 「政治には」could be translated as something like "In politics",
"regarding the politics", etc.
As for the のは, just translate it as "that is". 「一番楽しみのは」could be "The most
fun/interesting is..." "what is the most fun/interesting is...".
The first particule is the most important in here I think.

頑張って! 一番難しいのは文法じゃなくて 絶対読解の中には読めない漢字だと思います ! ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 287 of 420
15 October 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Actually, on the website for Crunchyroll you can turn off all subtitles for most of the newer stuff. Some of the older videos, like 銀河鉄道999, have baked in subtitles, though I've been using electrical tape to cover them up.   

Really, I was watching anime for awhile, and I do know that English subtitles just wipe out any hint of Japanese from my brain. And, if I read English subtitles, when I think back of the show, I'll remember characters speaking English, even if they were speaking Japanese. It's like the English subtitles go directly to my subconscious.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 288 of 420
17 October 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
実は私にとって聞き取りは一番難しい。   先のJLPTN2を受けたときに読めない漢字はあま りなかった。  

Someone was posting this around the net. It's the jimintou versus the minshutou voter.     

https://images.4chan.org/a/src/1381912342862.jpg

ネトウヨ=which I had to ask about. インタネット右翼 

Interesting, though I also hear minshutou is dead these days.

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version