United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 401 of 420
01 February 2016 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Not just Facebook, but also Google is blocked in China. At our office, we had a VPN back to the other office, but at the hotel, no Google, no Facebook. Also talked with a co-worker how China enforced the 'one child policy' with mandatory abortion. I don't know about Indonesia, but in China, well, I think the foreigners can get away with stuff, but the actual Chinese people, they keep a low profile.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 402 of 420
01 February 2016 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Well, back home from China -- that was a bit of an adventure. I went and purchased the basic, by the month
Finnishpod101. I'd like to download all the audio to my phone, though so far I've just been monkeying with
iTunes, bleach. We'll see how this goes.

I used iTunes to download all of JapanesePod101 (it's the same company, so I assume that this will work just as well). Then I copied it all somewhere iTunes couldn't *!$$* it all up and renamed everything to be more logical. Whether you need the rename or not depends on whether they've done a better job for Finnish (and also how fussy you are - but you're a programmer I think so I'm guessing you'll rename :-)).

It all worked really well as soon as I stopped iTunes trying to "help"!

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 403 of 420
02 February 2016 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Yeah, we'll see. I paid my money, I have access on the website, but I'm still getting password errors in itunes, ugh, I sent them an email.

With the Finnish, there are fewer episodes than with Japanesepod, so hoping it won't be too difficult to untangle all of thjs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4922 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 404 of 420
02 February 2016 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Not just Facebook, but also Google is blocked in China. At our office, we had a VPN back to the other office, but at the hotel, no Google, no Facebook. Also talked with a co-worker how China enforced the 'one child policy' with mandatory abortion. I don't know about Indonesia, but in China, well, I think the foreigners can get away with stuff, but the actual Chinese people, they keep a low profile.

In Indonesia people are suggested to have at most two children, but abortion is forbidden. It's only a suggestion, after all, not an obligation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 405 of 420
08 February 2016 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Well, I tried and tried to get the iTunes to work, but no, for Finnishpod101 it never did, even though I had a valid subscription. So, I just went in and downloaded all the files manually, by going to the website and picking them one by one. It was tedius, but really, I think studying language has prepared me for massive tediousness -- no problem, I can do a few minutes copying filese, really, I think it was less than an hour altogether.    I showed the lady at customer service and she was baffled too. I don't know what's going on, I'm done messing with it, to be honeset.

Anyway, I did kind of get, sort of a weird job-offer type thing -- if I wanted to move to China, I would have a job for sure. But, I have a house, a relationship, a father in a nursing home here in the USA -- but maybe we can work out something? We're discussing it, though everything is frozen due to the Chinese New Years. There is a real chance I will be going there more often and longer. Also there's the issue, that as an employee, I'm just expensive -- it takes a lot of money to hire me, so that might kill this also.

I did log into the Chineseclass101, and listened to some of the basic things, just to do numbers and this stuff. Oh oh, this is so much trickier to pronounce than Japanese. Yow. Just frustrating I'm not further along with Japanese and Finnish. The years are starting to add up on this.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 406 of 420
08 February 2016 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Well, kind of enjoying these Finnishpod episodes. I'm downloading from the site and managing the files directly, and I think it's okay because it allows me to dump the culture lessons, which are just too much English for me and the 'news/lesson learning tips' which are too spammy. "You know about the voice recording tool?" I've heard this about 1000 times listening to Japanesepod. But the Absolute Beginners are easy going, and have a few things I learn or refresh on here and there, and I can just let them run while I'm doing work without stressing my brain. I've never really lived in FInland proper, so some of these basic things I'm hugely rusty on.

Listened to an intermediate lesson also, and that was okay too. Odd it introduced the word 'Suomenkielinen' -- which I would have though of as a absolute beginner vocab -- but then had a nice explanation of the 'ma' forms which I've always been massively vague on.

Did also download a few ChineseClass beginner's, and oh oh, this it's quite a thing, listening to a language I know absolutely nothing about.   Even absolute beginner lessons are so tricky.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 407 of 420
09 February 2016 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
"You know about the voice recording tool?" I've heard this about 1000 times listening to
Japanesepod.

Ah yes! I've kept the JPOD101 originals untouched on my NAS box but somehow a number of the worst offenders
seemed to have a short encounter with Audacity on the way to my phone :-) With JPOD I've left in some of
that stuff in the UI lessons because it's either in Japanese or half Japanese and half English, and
all Japanese is good Japanese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 408 of 420
09 February 2016 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Oh yeah, that's a committment, to go through and edit all those. I haven't put in the effort for all that -- "But you know what can accelerate your learning -- line by line audio!" Ack, it's stuck in my brain. I've memorized all this advertising stuff. Wouldn't be so bad if they changed it up a little bit, but it just repeats endlessly.

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version