United States
Joined 4876 days ago

35 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Korean

Message 1 of 7
11 January 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Okay, let's try this again.

I've been living in Germany for three weeks now and I really want to improve my German. My study plan is as follows:
1. Learn the sentences provided here www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/ with anki.
2. Listen to and study the podcasts at German GrammarPod.
3. Listen to the Deutsch Warum Nicht series.

I've chosen these resources because I want to learn German using resources that are a.) legal (as in, no downloading language programs illegally) and b.) free or very cheap. I really think it's possible to study and learn languages without going broke or breaking the law. All of the above are free and legal with the exception of the German sentences site which is very cheap (3 euros and 50 cents for a year-long membership).
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 7
11 January 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Don't underestimate the German libraries. For example, the Amerika-Gedenkbibliothek in Berlin has some German language courses and books for English speakers, for example the German with Ease Assimil book, which you can borrow for free. (You'll only need to pay the annual EUR10 membership fee.)
Check out their online catalogue. (Click the English link in the upper right corner to switch to English.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

ashleyinberlin
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

35 posts - 41 votes

Message 3 of 7
11 January 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Don't underestimate the German libraries. For example, the Amerika-Gedenkbibliothek in Berlin has some German language courses and books for English speakers, for example the German with Ease Assimil book, which you can borrow for free. (You'll only need to pay the annual EUR10 membership fee.)
Check out their online catalogue. (Click the English link in the upper right corner to switch to English.)

Thanks! This is a great suggestion.

ashleyinberlin
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

35 posts - 41 votes

Message 4 of 7
11 January 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Today I entered sentences into Anki for lessons 1 - 20. By the way, I would be happy to share my decks with anyone who would like them. It's a lot of work to enter so many sentences! After entering all of the sentences, I went through 72 sentences. Tomorrow I will review and learn new sentences, as well as listen to at least one grammar podcast.

Also, today I went to a bookstore and had a short conversation with the clerk. I made a a couple of mistakes, but she still understood me. Conversations with native Germans are both nerve wracking and exhilarating! I don't know whether I look forward to or dread these encounters- probably a little of both.

ashleyinberlin
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

35 posts - 41 votes

Message 5 of 7
12 January 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday and today I listened to the audio for Book 2's lessons 1 - 16. Today I reviewed and studied my Anki sentences. I also listened to chapters 1 and 2 of Deutsch Warum Nicht. Lastly, I successfully ordered food in German today. These small victories may not seem like much to others, but they keep me motivated. :)

ashleyinberlin
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

35 posts - 41 votes

Message 6 of 7
15 January 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm still working on the Book 2 sentences and the German grammar podcasts. However, I think I'm finished with Deutsch Warum Nicht. It's simply too basic for me. I'm looking for something else to help with my listening comprehension, though. Anyone have any suggestions? I would really like something that has a translation and/or a transcript. I looked at Wieso Nicht also by Deutsche Welle, but I found the first lesson so annoying that I couldn't continue.

Also, I finally have a job (hurray!) working at a preschool that has an English immersion program. One really great thing about this job is that they are willing to help pay for me to take German courses. So I may eventually enroll in a German course to speed up my learning.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 7
16 January 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ashley congrats on getting your new job.

If you work with Germans you shouldn't need a class, oder? :) Sorry, I don't know your level but

(maybe) Some tips for speeding up listening comp.

Speak. Yes, I know how you feel -- it is nerve-wracking. The tempo of native conversation is tough to keep up with. By the time you figure out something to say the conversation changes and you feel like you've missed it (That's the way it was for me, anyway) What helped me was memorizing short sentences to get me started. Stuff like, "Ich glaube,", "ich habe gelesen, dass..", "Das hängt davon ab,.." or something to get the ball rolling. Even if I froze up for a while I got back on track with the memorized bits and pieces ;) Sort of a fail-safe.

--Take notes. Try to remember to pick up on the snippets of conversation around you, like standing behind someone at the cash register. It activates your listening.

--How's your reading level? Read the local paper. "Bild" is not the most intellectual of choices but it's an easy read and you get a quick check of what's happening around and what the hot topics are. (Don't say you read it in Bild, just say you saw it in the news ;)). Knowing the news can heighten your awareness of what people might be talking about.

--Got a TV?? Altho it's been said many times, many ways, watch TV --- and a lot of it. It will be too fast for a long, long time, but you have to keep doing it. I watched the soaps/afternoon shows. Boy, they were boring and silly but the sentences they spoke were clear. Watch something you've seen before in English. That's like having a transcript.

My posts are too long as usual but I hope you find something useful in it (^v^)b

Edited by Sunja on 16 January 2011 at 7:56pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version