semanticvictory.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4878 days ago

15 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Japanese, French

Message 17 of 36
19 January 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
korman,

I think you have involuntarily become a counter-example to Stephen Krashen's theory of comprehensible input,
which states that in order to progress in a language you should listen, read and watch the material, 80% of which
you understand.

It clearly wasn't the case with Korean music, dramas and books. You must have been exposed to thousands of
words, little to none of them stuck in your brain.

On the other hand, so much Korean couldn't help imprinting something in your consciousness. I believe when
you grab yourself and start on more structured material, all the Korean you've sieved through yourself will pop
up, and you'll make tremendous progress, thus reclaiming those six months of “lost” time.

I strongly recommend starting from scratch, this time making baby steps. Commence with learning by heart four
to five hundred most frequent words. Having them in your mental pocket, you can grasp 60 to 80 per cent of any
text you come across. It will make further study that much easier. Google keyword for the list of these words in
English is “minilex”. Post those words all over your apartment, the hardest in places you visit most frequently,
like beside the TV or a computer: you'll read them over and over, and they'll stick to your memory like glue.

After that, go searching for the simplest native Korean texts you can grab. Those most frequent words will stand
out in the text immediately, and your task would be to extract the words you don't understand yet and study
them as well. This way you'll accumulate a rapidly growing vocabulary, which is the most important in reaching
fluency.

Don't bother with grammar at the start, it hinders progress. Instead, try to grasp basic patterns from the texts
you read and subtitled video you watch.

Then, and only then you can return to watching unsubtitled Korean dramas and listening to music, with one minor
difference: you'll know what it's all about :)

Hope I helped out a bit! Oh, and don't take my words for grammar as granted, I don't know a bit of Korean, it
may well be worth studying from the very start.

Edited by karabatov on 19 January 2011 at 6:10pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 18 of 36
20 January 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
400-500 words and 60-80% comprehension? lol
1 person has voted this message useful

JaKorChi
Australia
Joined 4869 days ago

18 posts - 19 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans, Mandarin

Message 19 of 36
20 January 2011 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
You should aim to have a basic to intermediate comprehension of alphabet/grammar/spelling/vocabulary before you even think about immersion in resources such as books/movies/music/articles. By all means, watch, listen and read them for fun, but don't expect at the end of the day, to be any better at Korean without having knowledge of the language and its structures first.

Korean is supposedly a hard language (I personally don't see it, but it differs according to willpower and ability), and you need to have an understanding before you jump into something, expecting results.

Learn the Korean alphabet: http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Language/Korean.htm

Learn some Korean grammar: http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/

Think about getting some lessons, too. Good luck. :)

karabatov
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

15 posts - 37 votes

Message 20 of 36
20 January 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
For simple
texts it's quite true, at least for European languages.

I said I don't know anything about Korean, so maybe you have to know more, but to say
the truth I doubt it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4981 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 21 of 36
20 January 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
karabatov wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
For simple
texts it's quite true, at least for European languages.

I said I don't know anything about Korean, so maybe you have to know more, but to say
the truth I doubt it.

In my experience, Korean (as well as for example Japanese) don't even compare to most European languages when it comes to the amount of vocabulary. If I remember correctly, you need about 9000 to 10000 words for a mere 90% comprehension of Japanese texts. I consider Korean to be in the same ballpark.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 22 of 36
20 January 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
karabatov wrote:
Don't bother with grammar at the start, it hinders progress. Instead, try to grasp basic patterns from the texts
you read and subtitled video you watch.

You're contradicting yourself: those patterns are grammar.

You cannot learn a language without learning grammar, and it is always beneficial to learn grammar early, as while 20% of the words in the dictionary may account for 80% of the words used in any given film, you will never find a film which you can understand with only 20% of the grammar. At a rough guess, you'll need about 80% of the grammar to understand any given film.
4 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 23 of 36
20 January 2011 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Yes, Segata is right. I probably know roughly 4000 words and only have 50% comprehension in books and dramas/variety shows/movies in Korean. If I sounded like a dick with the "lol," that wasn't intended, but if it only took 500 words to get high comprehension, there's no way Korean would be considered a Category IV language for native English speakers.

karabatov
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

15 posts - 37 votes

Message 24 of 36
20 January 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Oh, okay, I was wrong then. Thanks for enlightening me :)

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version