Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German, Russian, French, English

Message 17 of 23
18 January 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Martin M wrote:
... remember that English is not solely tied to the US. By my last recollection, English is also spoken by the English, Scottish, Australians, Irish, among others.

Remember all the francophone countries. As soon as France lost its importance, French language also lost its role. Canada, Switzerland, Belgium etc couln't change anything on this issue.

Judane wrote:

1.) As of 2007 only 53% of people in China "effectively communicate orally in Mandarin." as per China's Ministry of Education.

How good are educated the rest 47%, who can't? Do they have a big weight in economic terms? How many will it be in 10-15 years?

Quote:

2.) Currently there are 300 MILLION people in China studying English.

How many of them are/will be able to speak it?
Remember the hundreds of millions who learnt Russian when Soviet Union was alive, 5-10 years after it broke down the number of learners dropped x times.

Quote:

3.) English is the primary language used on the Internet (for now, at least).

Well, you could apply "for now, at least" also to your next pro points.

I didn't invest a minute in Chinese, so I have no hidden agenda to promote it, but I must admit that Chinese has big chances to become a global language in the next 15 years. However, I still think that English has a higher potential since it is easier to hold the position than to break into it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German, Russian, French, English

Message 19 of 23
19 January 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 

Judane wrote:
But I would not want to be the one to tell the French that their language has 'lost importance' :)

I'll be the last one who would tell this :), I wrote "lost its importance", i.e. importance it once had

Quote:
Half the people of a country cannot "effectively communicate" in a language that originates in that country and you feel will have world dominance. If you feel these questions are important, perhaps you should answer them.

Ok, I'll answer them. 53% who can communicate are likely to be better educated and earn significant more (for instance, they might make up 90% of China's GDP), who can't. 700+ millions can effectively communicate in High Chinese today. Even though the China's peasents can't, their children will master it.   

Quote:
If only one in three of those people learn to speak English at a decent level, that means one out of ten of all Chinese will speak English.

Here our opinions may differ, but I think "one in three" who are/will be able to speak it at an acceptable level is a very strong assumption.

Quote:
The former Soviet Union and the use of Russian is a bad example, as well.
Their influence was based almost solely on their military influence and control.
They were never great exporters of foodstuffs, products, technology, people, entertainment, or ideas - unlike the United States.

Let me disagree. USSR was a very big exporter of ideas. First, idea of social justice. Especially in 30s, when USA faced Great Depression, it was very popular. Soviets made a great advencement in math and physics.
They supplied with technology and stuff the Third World. Influence wasn't only a militaristic one although playing a big role.

Quote:
(During the Cold War the U.S. actually shipped the Soviet Union millions of tons of wheat because they could not feed their own people.)

It wasn't complete charity. Soviets were likely to have lost the war without American help, it wasn't in America's interest.

Quote:
Yes Mandarin will continue to grow in influence but it will not usurp English. It may challenge, match, or even surpass English (though not for at least another generation) but English will retain an extremely strong influence, unlike French, Russian, Latin, etc. etc. etc.
Your prediction that Mandarin could become a global language in the next 15 years is likely accurate. It just won't be THE global language.

Even though we have different argumentation, we came to the same conclusion :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

starrye
United States
Joined 4904 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 20 of 23
19 January 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
The author's premise that English came to dominance in the age of print, high literacy and widespread media is interesting... but I'm not convinced this couldn't change over time.

China's rise to economic dominance could, theoretically, bring with it massive amounts of pop culture. If that pop culture starts to catch on in the west, then people may start wanting to learn it. Just as Hollywood and American pop have contributed to spreading English, if it's popular enough people will want access to Chinese language media too. The fact that we are now in the digital age makes this more likely (not less), as the internet allows for even obscure media to find an audience anywhere in the world. For example, I look at how Japanese and Korean media have spread on the internet, to people who would otherwise never have access to it, and I don't see why the same couldn't happen for Chinese on a larger scale. If there is demand for it, it will happen. Maybe not overnight, but there is no reason it couldn't happen, in my opinion.

True, westerners do view characters are being unnecessarily difficult, but technology is also changing the way we read and write over time. People are increasingly spending more time on mobile and electronic devices. In other words, we are spending more time *typing* than we are hand writing. Now, I don't know what's involved with typing Mandarin or how difficult it is. But typing and reading Japanese kanji online has become a lot easier in recent years. Pop-up browser dictionaries make it possible to simply hover over an unknown character and get an instantaneous definition. IME systems automatically pop up with suggestions for you as you type, etc.

Of course, this is not to say that any Chinese language will replace English. I'm not saying that it necessarily will. But I do think it could, in theory, given the right set of circumstances.

Edited by starrye on 19 January 2011 at 8:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

starrye
United States
Joined 4904 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 23
19 January 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Deleted. Sorry, I posted twice by mistake.

Edited by starrye on 19 January 2011 at 8:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5482 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 22 of 23
20 January 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
litovec wrote:

Quote:
(During the Cold War the U.S. actually shipped the Soviet Union millions of tons of wheat because they could not feed their own people.)

It wasn't complete charity. Soviets were likely to have lost the war without American help, it wasn't in America's interest.

America winning the Cold War would not have been in America's interests? :-) I suspect there's a mix-up between World War II and the Cold War here, but I had to check anyway...

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5879 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 23 of 23
20 January 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Martin M wrote:
... while piracy of intellectual property is spreading, the rampant disregard for intellectual property rights and copyrights serve as a disincentive to the creation of new ideas and innovation.

we don't own ideas, we can't steal them; ideas own us.
besides, combining ideas is one of the fundamental exercises in creative thinking. so, I don't think that's per se a "disincentive" (it's double-sided)

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version