vykis92
Groupie
LithuaniaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5126 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 13
17 January 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Hello recently I've found Two courses named "German with ease". One is written by Roemer Gudrun publishen in 1996, and the second is Hilde Schneider published in 1987. I dont know what differences between these? Are they different in content?
1 person has voted this message useful

vykis92
Groupie
LithuaniaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5126 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 13
18 January 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I foun the assimil from 1996 has EAN: 3135410002003, so are these courses same or not?

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 13
08 September 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I would have liked to have known which is better as well. Bump. I have the 1987 version and the English translations are sometimes confusing. That is the Hilde Schneider one.

Edited by TMoneytron on 09 September 2011 at 5:02pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 13
09 September 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
They are different - the Roemer edition is, as far as I understand, not in an English edition yet. It is the
current French L'Allemand (sans peine series). It is common for publishers to register an ISBN/EAN when
they
commission a book.

Edited by Elexi on 09 September 2011 at 9:40am

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 5 of 13
09 September 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Interesting. On Amazon they note it in English as being by Roemer. I guess that could be the ISBN confusion.

N_J_F
Australia
Joined 3917 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 13
27 February 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
I've just started started learning German in the last six weeks or so and purchased the English edition of "German With Ease". So far, I've worked through about 33 lessons but it just didn't feel like it was working for me - the conversations just seemed too random and not being linked it didn't feel like I was 'expanding' and assimilating my knowledge of German grammar and vocabulary rather than just learning a few choice phrases.

In the end I became rather frustrated so switched to "German Without Toil" starting again from Lesson 1. The "without toil" series seems to be how I learn best - I use this series for French as well - so will probably continue with this and then revise with the "German With Ease" book to reinforce what I have studied and also to learn more contemporary usage. The "without toil" series I use is downloaded from the internet and I believe it is 1st Generation of Assimil.

I was interested to see that there was a new edition (although in French only). Would there be any value in purchasing the new edition instead or just continuing with the "German With Ease" in tandem with "German Without Toil"?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 13
27 February 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Assimil are in the process of translating the new one into English - but when this
happens is anyone's guess (it was supposed to be out in April).

It is a very good course for beginners with modern German. It is less random as German
With Ease and obviously less archaic than German Without Toil - but it is a more gentle
progression - it only really gets challenging in the last 20 episodes or so.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4335 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English

Message 8 of 13
01 March 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
They are different - the Roemer edition is, as far as I understand, not in
an English edition yet. It is the
current French L'Allemand (sans peine series). It is common for publishers to register
an ISBN/EAN when
they
commission a book.

The one you're talking about (L'Allemand) is a different book by Maria Roemer, not Gudrun
Roemer. I'm studying Mrs. Roemer's edition, it dates 2004 and currently it's only
available in French.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version