France
Joined 5013 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 1 of 8
17 January 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

First I hope it is the good place to post this message.

So, I have learnt Swedish for 10 months now (irregularly for 8 months and in a most intensive way lately) using FSI and Assimil "Le Suédois sans Peine". I have completed the 12th first FSI lessons and I have just reached the 13th of Assimil. Besides I use Anki everyday and have also the possibility to correspond with a Swedish friend. My level is obviously still bad but I'm highly motivated.

To improve I have decided to buy a dictionary Français/Svenska Svenska/Français but it seems to not exist in a French edition. Do I need to buy an Swedish one? Do you have any recommendation ? (I would like one with the different ending of verbs (ex:att hälsa, hälsar, hälsade, hälsat) and nouns (ex: en slol, stolen, stolar). Now I use "The People's dictionary" on-line but I would prefer a French one that I can bring along.

Here is my second question. We have at school a Finnish assistant who speaks Swedish (she is here to speak English with us). She already now that I learn Swedish on my own and I'm sure she would be glad to give me some help. But how can I take advantage of her and have effective learning without bothering her too munch ?

All suggestions are welcomed.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
23 January 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Hello, sorry for not having seen this post before.

I don't know any Français-Suédois dictionaries - maybe because Swedish isn't that big a language in France. However, there are Swedish dictionaries, and Norstedts is one of the major publishers. I know that they come in "Engelska/Svenska", "Svenska/Engelska" and "Engelska/Svenska - Svenska/Engelska", and I think it's safe to assume that all these combinationes are available for French as well.

Eng/Sv doesn't mentions genders, but Sv/Eng does, and as you probably want to be able to look up words you don't know yet - you're better off with a dictionary in both "directions".

Example (just from memory):
Eng/Sv
table - bord

Sv/Eng
bord(et) - table (as you can see "bordET" indicates that it's neuter, (ett bord, bordet, detta bord, det där bordet et.c.)

So, assuming that "Norstedts stora franska ordbok : fransk-svensk, svensk-fransk" (ISBN: 9789172276031) works the same way, you'll have to look up the word twice, first from French, then from Swedish.

I can have a look at the French one at work when I get there (Tuesday) for details about the verb entries.

Either this, or you have to find a dictionary aimed at people with Swedish as a second language (which I don't know about). After all, most Fr/Sv dictionaries are aimed for Swedes (who already know the genders).

Now, to your second question. She's your English teacher but also knows Swedish (maybe it's even her native language). If I were you, I'd have small talk conversations now and then (probably more welcoming than if you'd ask her to correct something you've written - but if you have specific questions about grammar etc. she might be willing to help anyway).

Good luck!

Bolkonsky
Diglot
France
Joined 5013 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes

Message 3 of 8
23 January 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Tack för ditt svar Jeff !

I have already seen the "fransk/svensk -svensk/fransk" dictionary on Bokus.com and it seems to suits me. Do you know if Bokus can deliver their books in France ? Is it more expensive if I pay directly from France with my bank card ?

Concerning the second question, she is actually not my teacher but just an assistant which means she deals with a lot of different class helping teachers. I have the opportunity to have a short conversation with her. She has learned Swedish at school as well as a major part of Finnish student but told me she was totally fluent. The first step is to work out a deal to speak with her one or two hour per week.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
23 January 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
"We deliver to the following countries:

Australia * Austria * Belgium * Canada * Cyprus * Czech Republic * Denmark * Estonia * Faroe Islands * Finland (inc. Åland) * France * Germany * Greece * Hungary * Iceland * Ireland * Italy * Japan * Latvia * Lithuania * Luxembourg * Malta * Monaco * Netherlands * New Zealand * Norway * Poland * Portugal * Slovakia * Slovenia * South Korea * Spain (inc. Canary Islands) * Sweden * Switzerland * United Kingdom"

They provide free shipping in Sweden, so you have to check with them what the postage to France might be - kundservice@bokus.com .

http://www.bokus.com/cgi-bin/P_campaign_show.cgi?location=he lp_in-english

Bolkonsky
Diglot
France
Joined 5013 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes

Message 5 of 8
23 January 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeff, it turns out to be very expensive 36O crowns for the book and almost the same for the postage. So I have chosen to buy a slimmer one on a French website with just 28000 words. It will be enough for a while, I will buy a thicker one when I will go in Sweden and when my level will be munch better.

skyr
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4842 days ago

15 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Swedish
Studies: Italian, Icelandic, Czech, Slovak, Serbian

Message 6 of 8
17 February 2011 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

Until a few months ago I'd have suggested the online Lexin dictionary, but now that's not available online, I'd recommend the book format to you -

Lexins svensk-franskt or svensk-engelskt ordbok.

I got mine from a university bookshop in England, but I know they can be brought at French and German university bookshops too, maybe even online.

The Lexin dictionary is for people studying Swedish as a Second Language and shows nouns along with their plural, gender and relevant articles, adjectival endings, verb endings in present and past. I still use it to check endings 8 years on!

I hope this is useful!

Sarah

Lisa Sc.
United Kingdom
Joined 4767 days ago

4 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 8
05 May 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Hi!
I´m Lisa and I´d like to ask any native speaker about Free Ads websites in Sweeden. Can you give me any????
Thanks!

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4697 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 8 of 8
09 July 2011 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Lisa Sc. wrote:
Hi!
I´m Lisa and I´d like to ask any native speaker about Free Ads websites in Sweeden. Can you give me any????
Thanks!

Hi, I'm not from Sweden and I don't know about any free ads sites; but their equivalent to ebay is Tradera.se if that helps at all...

Hugs x

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version