thistledown
United Kingdom
Joined 4986 days ago

14 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 10
21 January 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Linguaphone did 2 Dutch courses to my knowledge - the older type with the chiseled faces from the 1950s and a more modern version that is all dialogues. I have the older one and it's fine.

I've got the newer version.

I started off with Michel Thomas and found it gave me confidence. They use a few tricks, such as the 'slow learner' who grasps the concepts a couple of beats after you, the listener.

I then used the Assimil course, which covered a lot more ground and seemed a more serious undertaking altogether.

The Linguaphone seems to me to be another step up from Assimil in terms of the demands it makes on your commitment. For a start it takes no prisoners regarding the speed of delivery of dialogue. I would estimate that the dialogue is around 80% of normal conversational speed right from the start. It has two hardback text books, which together with the necessary exercise book means that you have to sit at a table to learn. Each of the 45 lessons is divided into as many as 12 exercises. The content doesn't appear to be dumbed down to accommodate someone with the attention span of a goldfish, and very few attempts are made to make learning fun, easy, or quick. You get the feeling that you're expected to work at it! Oddly enough, after the chatty informality of Michel Thomas, and the cringe-making jokes and cartoons of Assimil, the seriousness of Linguaphone comes as a refreshing change.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version