Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What’s the level Assimil can take you to?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5352 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 40
26 January 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I thought I would reprint the link to this, which has been around a few times:

http://www.llas.ac.uk/resources/paper/2715

On Milton's calculation Assimil's c.1500 word count With Ease series would fall between A2 and B1.
3 persons have voted this message useful

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4874 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian
Studies: German

Message 10 of 40
26 January 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi there, I am also curious about this so I am doing my own experiment with Assimil Danish. I will finish the course as recommended without doing anything else to see what level I can achieve. I am doing this because if I really achieve a B2 level or close, I would probably use Assimil exclusively from now on.

I'll let you know when I'm finished
1 person has voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 40
26 January 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Do you feel the real limiting factor after having used Assimil is vocabulary and practice? I'm currently using Assimil for Italian, and I figured I would get all the tenses/subjunctive/etc out of it and then expand my vocabulary with native materials. Is that a good assumption?

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4874 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian
Studies: German

Message 12 of 40
27 May 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I finished "Assmil - Le danois sans peine" approximately 3 weeks ago. Even though I don't think I am at a B2 level yet, I'm quite satisfied with the results I got from following the method.

I studied a lesson almost every day, only failing to do so 5 times during the 128 lessons(64 passive, 64 active). I would probably say I currently have a B1 level that allows me to continue my studies with native material(newspapers, radio, etc).

I created a danish log here towards the end of assimil(all in danish), which might serve as a measure of the level I achieved. I am planning on doing a recording soon, to evaluate my spoken danish after completing assimil.

It is important to note that "Assimil - Le danois sans peine" only has 64 lessons. Most other assimil courses have 100+ lessons, so those extra lessons could probably get one closer to a B2 level. Since 40 additional lessons x 2 waves equals 80 additional days of study I will probably see where I .am 80 days after finishing assimil to see if those 80 days make the difference
14 persons have voted this message useful

jhwheeler
Tetraglot
England
Joined 4788 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, Latin, Dutch, German

Message 13 of 40
29 May 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
guitarob wrote:
I finished "Assmil - Le danois sans peine" approximately 3 weeks ago.
Even though I don't think I am at a B2 level yet, I'm quite satisfied with the results
I got from following the method.

I studied a lesson almost every day, only failing to do so 5 times during the 128
lessons(64 passive, 64 active). I would probably say I currently have a B1 level that
allows me to continue my studies with native material(newspapers, radio, etc).

Well, that's great news! I mean I've heard a lot of good stuff about Assimil,
especially from Professor Arguelles, and it seemed like the thing for me -- so I bought
the Assimil Dutch course and I'm liking it a lot (only downside is the voices, except
for one of the men and one of the women, are almost unbearable -- the French version is
much better with the audio).

It would be great if I could read native material after finishing it, although I think
I'm going to get La Pratique du Néerlandais to get it up there.

So here's my question which is a follow-up on the OP's question: where do the 2nd level
(usually titled "Perfectionnement ________") of Assimil get you? They claim C1 -- is it
more like B2? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Oh and guitarob, please do follow up like you said you would! I would like to know how
much farther you are after 80 days (I can't follow your Danish log, as I don't speak
Danish haha).

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5205 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 14 of 40
29 May 2011 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
I would actually expect a With Ease course to teach enough content to be be comfortably
at B1. There are more than 2000 words taught in New French With Ease course for example,
and I expect this is much the same in most of the With Ease courses.

As for the next stage, it is hard to tell as in the Using French book I have for example,
there is no vocabulary list at the end so it is difficult to tell how much vocab is
taught but it should at least get you comfortably to B2.

tomsawyer
Aruba
Joined 5074 days ago

103 posts - 141 votes 
Studies: GermanB1, French, Russian

Message 15 of 40
29 May 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
In my experience, the German with Ease got me to between level A2 and B1 - when I sat for
my Zertifikat Deutsch (B1 exam), I don't think I would have been comfortable with just
having the Assimil under my belt - a bit of real conversation and some light reading
(Harry Potter, for example) should get you there though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 16 of 40
30 May 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
I used Assimil for Swahili and studied it very thoroughfully, using Anki to memorize
pesky vocabulary. As this was an experiment for me precisely to figure out how much
Assimil teaches you, I did NOT expose myself to Swahili in any other way.

After completing the passive wave, I was able to understand 90% of the words in the
“Little Prince” and 85% of a random Wikipedia article - definitely good enough to start
using native materials. Assimil Swahili contains 100 lessons and teaches approximately
1500 words. I think they go a longer way in Swahili than in other languages because the
total vocabulary of Swahili is less, and also the boundary between nouns / adjectives /
adverbs / verbs is quite fluid.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 May 2011 at 10:25am

10 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version