Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What’s the level Assimil can take you to?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
MrScotchpie
United Kingdom
Joined 4790 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 33 of 40
05 February 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
...and my youngest sister did G.C.S.E German. I think I remember she got a B. She certainly had nowhere near 2 to 3 thousand words, could only guess at cases except in memorised phrases and knew much much less about German verbs than anyone who spends 13 hours going through Michel Thomas.

That's why I said "use to." It is well known that over the last 10 or so years, ever since the introduction of "league tables," there has been a general dumbing down of standards.

I've read recently, sorry I cannot remember where, that university professors have complained because they are basically having to teach A level standards to first year undergrads because they are not up to the standard required for a university course.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5350 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 34 of 40
05 February 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
I would agree with you both, I was just pointing out that the OCR board word list
'would' take you into the B1 range if you could use them all.

As to undergraduates - I teach in a university and I tend to have to spend the first
term teaching first year students how to be able to a) write in an academic fashion, b)
organise their thoughts/research in a logical and coherent order (which links to a),
and c) learn to use a dictionary when they don't know what words in their own language
mean.

I admit that these were difficult things to learn when I was 15-16 but by the time I
finished my A levels and before I started my university course, I had those skills
already.

[Edits due to today being a major grammar fail day]

Edited by Elexi on 05 February 2012 at 7:04pm

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 35 of 40
16 February 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
OK, I'm going to have to get down off my high horse and eat some humble pie on this one:
I was discussing this issue with my sister and it turns out that my memory was playing
tricks on me, she got a D not a B. It appears that G.C.S.E's are maybe not so bad after
all. My apologies to all on this thread.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 36 of 40
17 February 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
MrScotchpie wrote:

That's why I said "use to." It is well known that over the last 10 or so years, ever since the introduction of "league tables," there has been a general dumbing down of standards.

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but in the interests of not "dumbing down" these forums, I'll point out that you should have written "used to", not "use to". Let's keep language standards high. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5093 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 37 of 40
17 February 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Bottom-right of this table on this page it says
A1 = Foundation Tier GCSE
A2 = Higher Tier GCSE

MrScotchpie
United Kingdom
Joined 4790 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 38 of 40
17 February 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

E
quivalences_of_common_tests_to_CEFR_levels">Bottom-right of this table on this
page

it says
A1 = Foundation Tier GCSE
A2 = Higher Tier GCSE

I prefer to cross reference this table to the one on the page discussing the UK's NQF
qualification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Qualifications_Framewo rk

B2 - level 3 - A level
B1 - level 3 - GCSE A to C grade
A2 - level 2 - GCSE D to G grade
A1 - level 1 - foundation/Entry level certificate

Now it may be my age but a D grade in the GCSE was a fail in my day and so I do not
count A2/level2 as equivalent to a GCSE.

Also I was reading on the Chartered Institute of Linguists that the C2 equalled a
masters degree. That fits my linear correlation perfectly.

C2 - MA
C1 - BA
B2 - A levels
etc...

Edited by MrScotchpie on 17 February 2012 at 9:43pm

HMS
England
Joined 4892 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 39 of 40
17 February 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
MrScotchpie wrote:

Now it may be my age but a D grade in the GCSE was a fail in my day and so I do not
count A2/level2 as equivalent to a GCSE.

I don't think current UK qualifications have the right to be even considered as worthy comparison to other country's ones nowadays.An A* grade can be gained by simply choosing a lucky box of cornflakes it would appear. I speak from the standpoint of somebody who has, in the past, had to teach somebody how to use 24hr clock - after that person had previously broadcast their A-star prowess.

Grrrrr etc. I really wish another country would take charge of the UK!

Edited by HMS on 17 February 2012 at 10:01pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5350 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 40 of 40
18 February 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
I think one of the problems with the CEFR scale is that it is framed in the typically
vague EU-speak of 'competences', whilst most language learners think in terms of
functions and grammar. The vagueness of the 'competences' description means that
publishers can manipulate what their course actually covers without necessary breaking
any product description laws.

I have posted this somewhere before, but I think it is worth doing again - it is a set
of rough notes (sorry for any mistakes) comparing the CEFR description with what a
number of French as Foreign Language type textbooks and A1 exam exercise books reckon
DELF A1 involves.     

What CEFR say A1 competence involves:

Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at
the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and
can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people
he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other
person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

Syllabus based on number of French as a Foreign Language textbooks for A1 (e.g.
Latitudes, Echo, Reussir le DELF A1)

Functions

Please and thank you, Excuse Me, Tu or Vous, The Alphabet, Numbers, Self Presentation,
Use of ‘on’, Asking and describing age, name and profession, affirmation and negation
(oui, non, si), likes and dislike, The time, tomorrow, yesterday, months and the date,
drinks and food, expressing tastes, asking someone to do a simple task, inviting and
accepting an invitation, expressing a point of view (je trouve que, ca me plait),
colours, expressions of quantity, price (combien?), directions, far, near, cardinal
numbers, In front of, under, behind etc., expressions of obligation or interdiction,
advice (e.g. pourrais, ll ne faut pas), describing a place, location and how to get
there, expressions of frequency (e.g. encore, souvent, deux fois)

Grammar

definite and indefinite articles (le, la, les), article contractions (au, a la, du),
personal and possessive pronouns, adverbial pronouns (y and en), interrogative pronouns
(que, qui, ou), question forms (e.g. est-ce que, verb-subject inversion, rising
intonation), main irregular/auxiliary verbs (etre, avor, aller, faire), regular -er
verbs, adjectives, near future ‘tense’ (futur proche), perfect tense (passe compose),
conditional tense for politenes (e.g. je voudrais . . ., vous pourriez . . .?),
demonstrative adjectives (ce, cet, cette, ces), distinction between c’est and il/elle
est, negative constructions (ne...pas)

I have a 'pass GCSE French' textbook somewhere and I will go and check what more one
would have to do in order to pass GCSE in the ordinary and higher tier for comparison.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version