France
Joined 5443 days ago

54 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 1 of 11
19 January 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Fit lik noo lounies, quinies an freens?

Ah thocht det hit micht be ae braa thochtie tae pit ae wee threid fur de Scots leid oan
de forum. Ah ken det hierawa thir's nae mony fit spiks hit bit hit'll be fair guid tae
practeese gif hit's prestable! Een baither aboot de Leid is det naeb'die spiks hit samen
alse idir fowk an nae greeance oan de spellin haes been steid.

Housomeiver, fur ordinar ah kin unnerstan maist fowk fuan dey spik an ee'n fuan dey
scrieve. Betimes de prepositions ir richt drole acauso o abdie spikkin wi dir ain anes
fae dir ain pairts o Scotland. Ah kin gie yese ae wee hilpin-haund gif yese'r yaupin tae
lairn bit ah'm nae de deacon noo mind! Ma Scots is mebbe a wee bittie row-chow.
1 person has voted this message useful

sterling32157
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 2 of 11
25 January 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Could you please translate that to English? I am absolutely fascinated by Scots, but
there were significant number of words in there that I couldn't figure out.

Also, do have any recommendations for where one could go online to learn the proper
pronunciation of Scots words?

Le dacquois
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 5443 days ago

54 posts - 69 votes 

Message 3 of 11
27 January 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Sure, no problem.

"How are you (now) guys, girls and friends? I thought that it might be a good idea to
put a little thread about the Scots language on the forum. I know that around here
there aren't many that speak it but it'll be great to practise if it's practicable! One
problem about the language is that nobody speaks it the same as other people and no
universal agreement on the spelling has been established.

However, I can usually understand most people when they speak and when they write. At
times the prepositions are funny because of everybody speaking with their own ones from
their own parts of Scotland. I can give you (all) a little helping hand if you're antsy
to learn, but remember, I'm no expert! Perhaps my Scots is a bit mixed up."

Well, that's a quick translation. A lot of words have direct cognates in English,
Dutch, French or Scandinavian languages. These aren't necessarily used in the same way,
but often can be. The phrase "Fit ae baither", could be put into English as "What a
bother", but we're really saying "What a problem", which could really be said as
"Fit/Whit ae tickler/kinch or scunner", depending on the context.

Grammar can be a bit strange, we say things like 'Shae's gey roch kynd", which means
"She's (like) very foul-mouthed/rough/lewd" and "Fa/Wha belangs dis hoose?". That could
be "To whom does this house belong?" or even rather "Who belongs to this house?"

As regards pronunciation, it varies wildly. Shetlandic for example, is loosely classed
as a dialect of Scots. However a Shetlander would be unable to speak the Glesga
(Glasgow) patter and a Glaswegian wouldn't understand a whole lot of a what a
Shetlander says in full flow. My dad speaks the Doric, from the northeast and the Moray
coast, and my mum is a Shetlander. Growing up I absorbed a lot, but it was watered down
and anglicised by TV, school, all sorts of things. When I went to live in Glasgow for
the first time I had problems with the patter! English was arguably of more use to me
than Doric was!

Pronunciation is largely a matter of location, although some Scots words are more or
less ubiquitous throughout all the dialects and said in the same way.

I suggest some Youtube videos. This guy teaches vocabulary, composes poetry, etc, he
even has a book out. Great series of videos, which also includes life by the sea, local
gastronomy among other stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0erVo3EP8

The Scots Language Centre is an awesome resource http://www.scotslanguage.com/
There are tons of links and sound files, as well as a lot of background and history.

This is a good one too, Wir Ain Leed http://www.scots-online.org/
There's a good dictionary on there too http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htm

This is an awesome resource for vocabulary http://www.dsl.ac

3 persons have voted this message useful

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5343 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 11
27 January 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
As a Scot from Aberdeen, I understand Scots (more precisely Doric), although I have never studied it. I was able to understand your first post, by saying the words aloud.

It has never been a written language for me, is that really how the words are written?

Jim

Le dacquois
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 5443 days ago

54 posts - 69 votes 

Message 5 of 11
27 January 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Fit lik Jim loun?!

Writing in Scots is never an exact science, sadly. Although it's been a written
language for centuries, it's just never been written exactly the same way every time.
Multiple spellings for words abound and it's largely a result of which dialect of Scots
is being used, which time period it's in and the fact that it has never been
standardised by any authority across the dialects.

I suppose Scots dictionaries look to old literature for spellings. In Shetlandic I know
"they" is usually written "dey" and that certainly corresponds to the way they
pronounce it. In other dialects it could be written as "thay", "thai", "thea" "theae"
and none of these should be confused with "thae" which means "those". See the problem
here? I've never seen two Scots write a sentence exactly the same way and I think it
may be a good idea if it was cleared up. On the other hand, nobody can really tell you
you're flat out wrong neither!

I think some people have established their own conventions and ideas about the
orthograph, but until some higher power decides definitively once and for all and until
the time when the authorities actually want to teach Scots and give an official version
of things, I don't think anyone should automatically buy into anything. It would be a
major headache to achieve that with the diversity of the dialects, although I wish it
were possible.

The last website I put on the previous message has tons of old literature with various
spellings of words. So, the spellings I've used here I've found in various Scots
dictionaries. They will vary, but I try to keep it as close as I can to the way I say
things, being as logical as I can. I just found out that "row-chow" can be written as
"rowe-chowe". I said that because I have a smattering of Doric mixed with Shetlandic
mashed with a few Glesga words, so maybe my spelling convention is a bit strange, but
like I say....'ts de wye ah spik min! I don't think my Scots will be the template for
the standardised version!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 11
27 January 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
As a native speaker of the American upper south applachian dialect. "Hit suits me right well". I remember the first time I saw Scots in printed form. I could clearly see the strong influence it has on Southern Appalchian English dialect. When I went to Scotland for the first time I found it easier to understand the Scots than I did Yorkshire English. Southern Appalachian English has many influences but Scots, via Ulster, is one of the strongest.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 11
31 January 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Ah hae at whiles dared tae pruive ma skills in the bonny old leed Scots, but ah cannae be certain that aucht is really Scots. Whanner ah swither aboot onything ah consult the grand Scots dictionar at scots-online, ... ah but wha speaks that wey? An whit dialect dis this dictionar represeent? Ah dunnoo. Neertheless ah continue tae uise it acause tis daffin fun whanner ah try ma hand at this gemme. An if ah can hear ma dwaumie attemps spaken wi the vyce of Mr. B. Connally - the ane Scotman's vyce ah hear reiglar (at Youtube) - then ah'm quite pleezed wi me!

Edited by Iversen on 01 February 2011 at 10:29am

Le dacquois
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 5443 days ago

54 posts - 69 votes 

Message 8 of 11
02 February 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Dat's affa braa min Iversen! Ah widna ken det ye're nae ae Scots loun! Ony yin fit
spiks de leid wid unnerstan ye, dinna wirry yersel. Ah dinna ken fit dialect yon
dictionar wid be, bit onywye ah rackon det hit's nae de Doric, sin fur ordinar yonder
"wha" 's sain "fa" or "fwa" or sumhin siclik an "whit" 's sain "fit", etc.

Dis is belik Lallans, fae thare awa sumewye ah 'hink. Bit hit's nae ae baither tae
unnerstan.

Hier's ae braa ane gif ye lik Youtube an Scots! http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=pcnFbCCgTo4

Iguanamon - I must confess I didn't know about the Appalachian dialects. Looking
through some of the vocabulary I found online it feels very familiar. Interesting
stuff!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version