Groupie
United States
Joined 5040 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 1 of 4
19 January 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Gonna give this a shot... if people seem to enjoy reading this, and more importantly, if I find this useful, I'll
probably continue to add to it... If you're interested, check my profile for a good sense of where I'm at with
Korean.

Today I studied for about 3 hours. Using a news broadcast from last December that I downloaded from SCOLA's
Insta-Class section, I looked up all the words I didn't know for the two featured stories, first just from reading
the transcript. I then watched/listened a few times to activate the words I just learned and to get a little
listening/news comprehension practice in. The first featured story was about Kim Jong Il's son who is taking on a
more public role in North Korean government and propaganda. There was a shot of him pouring alcohol for an
artist using only his right hand, just as his father had done in the previous shot. In Korean culture you always
pour someone's drink with two hands as a sign of respect - obviously the idea behind breaking with this custom
signifies the extent to which the Kim clan is revered/feared in North Korea. The report said essentially that with
the death of the official number two in their government, "North Korea" has promoted Kim Jong Un to the
number two spot.

The second story was about the restoration progress of a very old landmark in Seoul (a city gate) that was burned
down by a crazy guy a few years ago. The project is complete but the sign that declares it as a city gate, made of
a rare type of wood and written in traditional Chinese, has a visible crack going through it. This sign has not been
up for more than 3 months, so the debate on who's fault this is has been heated. The chief carpenter on the
project offered to build a new one with his own money, but the Culture Administration has declined, citing the
fact that the crack was natural and not due to the carpentry. Obviously the carpenter is embarrassed but the
Culture Admin. doesn't want to spend the time to change the sign, or so it seems. There were some citizen
groups protesting the "poor management" of the restoration project... Funny stuff.

I wrote up a summary on www.lang-8.com here: http://lang-8.com/213274/journals/771825

I then read through the short story "The Day the First Snow Fell" by Oh Jeong Hee (첫눈 오던 날 - 오정희). It took
me about an hour - granted I had an extensive vocab list and grammar notation list on hand. In short, the story
was about a 30-something lonely woman who spends the first snow day of the winter feeling sorry for herself.
She leaves work, goes to a musical performance, and then ends up at a bar. There a college aged guy approaches
her and orders more beer, telling her that he's been dumped by his girlfriend. His friends seem to cheer his
actions on from afar. At first she doesn't want to talk to him, but she seems attracted to him and they start
chatting. More beer. She shows him a family heirloom, a marriage ring that she inherited from her deceased
mother. She lets him try it on. More beer. She gets dizzy. Goes to the bathroom, comes back, he and his friends
are gone. She waits around, and then the waiter brings the large check. She loses her ring and has to pay for the
beers.

The content was kind of unexciting - I'm not into reading about lonely women, but my professor recommended
it. Language-wise, this story had some tough, long sentences, but nothing I couldn't really handle after some
word by word analysis. Very readable. I was able to forgo with the grammar notes for long stretches and I even
made it through a couple short paragraphs without needing the vocab list. I should read this story again
sometime soon - definitely for the vocab/grammar, and I also might find the story more interesting the second
time around.

Off to bed, but not without listening to some Korean internet radio for 15 minutes or so. I've been enjoying a
station in Jeonju lately...

1 person has voted this message useful

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5040 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 

Message 2 of 4
24 January 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
I only studied for a combined total of 3 or so hours this past weekend because I was pretty busy with other stuff,
but I was able to spend much of yesterday and part of today with my girlfriend (who is Korean) so I can say I was
very engaged with the language despite not studying.

I grabbed another Insta-Class download from Scola and found all the words I didn't know and compiled them
and their translations into a list. I then went back and watched/listened to activate the vocabulary a bit, and also
reviewed the other articles I read. The first article in this broadcast was about an Indie musician who died from a
brain hemorrhage in his apartment. His name was "Come from behind to win with a bases loaded home run
moonlight fairy" or "달빛요정역전만루홈런". He was fairly popular, especially with the 88 thousand won generation
- an interesting term for those who have graduated college but could not find good paying work, living on 10
million won per year (about $10,000). I'm not sure why it is called the 88 thousand won generation... perhaps
this is their monthly salary, which would equal just over 11 million won per year.

Anyways this musician died in relative poverty despite his popularity. He manufactured all his cds in his home
and distributed his music over the internet. The second news report looked at why a musician like him could not
make a living from his music. They used his song "Acorn" as an example - on Cyworld, the Korean version of
Facebook, you can purchase acorns which allow you to buy music, amongst other things. He wrote a song saying
how he hated acorns because they weren't money. In Korea, apparently domestic artists that sell their music
through a website see only half of the revenue (iTunes gives 70% to artists). Moreover, websites often use
"dumping" techniques to bundle multiple songs into a package and sell it for a tenth of the price, bringing the
artist's profit down even lower.

I know this log is about literary Korean, but I'd like to say a few words on what I've been feeling with my speaking
as of late. Since WInter quarter started, I've been spending a considerable amount of time with Korean friends,
including my girlfriend. Whenever I begin prolonged stretches of activity with speaking, I seem to always follow a
similar pattern. At first I speak without much problem, warming up my the Korean production in my brain. As
time goes on I run into serious barriers, where I feel I can't quite say what I want to say at the speeds I'm used to.
Thus I revert to very odd sentences that may have English characteristics. After I run through this gauntlet, I
come out on the other end with faster processing of grammar and vocab in my brain, having awakened dormant
grammar and phrases. Then I really can start stringing together ideas into coherent stories, arguments, jokes,
etc. I wonder how long I can sustain this recent surge...

Edited by jtdotto on 24 January 2011 at 8:49am

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5040 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 

Message 3 of 4
27 January 2011 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Last night I was able to study for a good 2 and a half hours or so. Lately I've been very focused on reading
newspapers, almost exclusively, despite having access to a large library of well annotated Korean short stories.
Makes me think I should have named this log "Conquering Written Korean", but that would have an entirely
different connotation altogether...

I downloaded another news broadcast from SCOLA, this one from the end of last November. The first story
reported on the forecasted cold snaps this winter. In hindsight they were very right, with far below freezing
temperatures having gripped the Korean Peninsula for the past couple months. Due to La Nina, water
temperatures in the East Pacific have been unusually cold, and with the most ice melted in the North Pole since
2007, the air has been saturated with moisture. In Siberia there was a large snow drop, causing the jet stream to
slow down and snow and well below freezing temperatures were expected (again, they were right).

The second story looked at the impacts the cold weather up until that point had had on crops. Cabbage leaves
breaking and tearing effortlessly, felt covered radish roots freezing underground, etc. This all affects kimchi
production, the most popular side dish in Korea.

I also wrote up a short summary on the article I read a few days ago about the death of a popular indie musician.
Here is the link: http://lang-8.com/213274/journals/781951

I've realized that compiling on this new vocab into a single notebook and then writing summaries of these articles
with the conscious objective of USING the vocab helps me a) learn the vocab much better, and b)
learn how to use the vocab in new and more complex sentence constructions. I find this much more effective
than simply just going through a flash card routine (and much more interactive). True, I may not learn all the
words because I don't use them all in my summaries, but the ones I use have a higher 'sticking' factor. Perhaps
this is a good strategy for treading through the advanced levels of language learning. Any thoughts?

Edited by jtdotto on 27 January 2011 at 12:41am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 4
27 January 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I've started writing more because I can recognize a lot of words by reading and listening, but in Korean, half the words I know are purely passive, so I think your strategy is good.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version