Tags: Reading
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 6
19 January 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
This was in Salon.com today:

"A recent study out of Princeton, and brought to wider attention by Jonah Lehrer at Wired.com, suggests that ugly, irregular fonts can boost the amount of information readers retain from a text, while easy-to-read type is more likely to just sort of slide out of their minds. The study, titled "Fortune Favors the Bold (and the Italicized): Effects of Disfluency on Educational Outcomes," found that people remembered more from worksheets and PowerPoint presentations when they were composed in a hot mess of hated fonts like Monotype Corsiva, Haettenshweiler and the dreaded Comic Sans Italic.

The hypothesis is that the added difficulty in reading these texts forces more cognitive engagement, which leads to greater comprehension. While we naturally think that we learn better from texts that are pleasant and easy to read, the opposite may be the case." Hideous Fonts

I wonder if I copy text from another language that I'm learning and paste it into Word in Comic Sans Italic if it would aid my learning?

Edited by iguanamon on 19 January 2011 at 1:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4932 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 6
21 January 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
LOL!

And comic sans ms in Italic isn't allowed on my note pad app, darn.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 21 January 2011 at 8:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 6
21 January 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Why stop there? If making text harder to read improves engagement and retention, why not
just study while slapping yourself upside the head. Then you can also have fine control
on just how much cognitive engagement you get by simply varying the force and with what
objects you hit yourself with.

I tested this theory with a cast iron pan and am happy to report, that I remember clearly
every word I read before I passed out—all three of them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ilperugino
Pentaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4984 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
21 January 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I wonder if I copy text from another language that I'm learning and paste it into Word in Comic Sans Italic if it would aid my learning?

Try instead reading cyrillic.
That may not aid you right away but will surelly boost some kind of learning...

Edited by ilperugino on 21 January 2011 at 11:57pm

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6469 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 6
22 January 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
What would be the effect of reading really bad handwriting? It certainly seems as unpleasant as an ugly font, and I've had to read some very "difficult" writing, but I got more discouraged than anything else.

I've had the experience of reading foreign languages handwritten by people with what I would charitably call "exotic" handwriting, handwriting that seems to be the visual equivalent of a foreign accent, and it never made it easier to read or remember.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 6 of 6
22 January 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
I'd say the trick only works if you're really interested in working out what the text says, which is kind of unpredictable.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version