13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
neilp
United Kingdom
Joined 4867 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 13
20 January 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I have a Kindle e-reader from Amazon. The Kindle has a synthized voice i.e. text to speech. I need to learn French and I feel that the way I can learn is to first be able to read it.
I did this with welsh some years ago and it works for me. I don't need to know what all the words mean, although with French I generally know the meaning it is with the pronunciation that I have the difficulty. I would like therefore to be able to listen to a book in French being read by an actor rather than an electronic voice.
Does anyone know, is this achievable via a Kindle?

Thanks for reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

starrye
United States
Joined 4904 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 13
20 January 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Yes it's possible. I had the original kindle when it first came out, and it did support mp3 so you could listen to audio books and podcasts. I'm assuming the newer models still do...but someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can put recorded dialogs and audio books on your kindle in mp3 format, and then listen along as you read.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 13
20 January 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
starrye is right. I have the Kindle 3G and use it to listen to and read books in Portuguese. You must download an audio book (g search this forum "audio books") to your computer. I used Librivox go to "Advanced Search". Then go to the language drop down list and select French then hit search. Librivox usually has the e-text available for download as well. Attach your Kindle to your computer via the usb cable and move the audio files to the "Music" folder. For ease of use I rename the files so that they are in numerical sequence if need be.

Bonne chance et bon ecoute

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6759 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 13
21 January 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I have a Kindle 3, and as far as I know (I've only tried it once on a German book), the
text-to-speech only works for English. When I tried it on the German text, it read
everything with English pronunciation (e.g. 'ich will' would be pronounced 'itch will '
with an English 'w'). This made the feature utterly useless for foreign language study.
However, downloading the MP3 and transcripts of short stories onto my Kindle, as others
here have suggested, has been working great. Be sure to have the MP3 player controls down
first; it's rather clunky to operate (the space bar means 'pause', the 'F' key means
'next track', etc.)

NichtGut
Groupie
United States
the-daily-treasure.bRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6142 days ago

65 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: French

Message 5 of 13
23 January 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
I use a Kindle!! I love it for language learning, here is what I like to do.

use Lingq.com

first get familiar with this awesome website

ok so:

pick an article on Lingq
I copy and paste the article into Word and save it as a txt. format so it works on the kindle.
Then download the audio that goes along with the text and upload that onto your kindle as well.
You can play the audio while reading at the same time, it is a beautiful tool to study with.

message me if you need more details on how to do this

:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 13
23 January 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
To convert just about any text into kindle or other ebook compatible software, get Calibre Ebook Management Software It enables you to take non-compatible formats and convert them to compatible formats. Yeah, it's not perfect. Nothing in this world is. It doesn't handle graphic intensive pdf well or multi-column pdf. I have none the less found it to be an invaluable tool.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5850 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 7 of 13
23 January 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
NichtGut wrote:
I use a Kindle!! I love it for language learning, here is what I like to do.

use Lingq.com

first get familiar with this awesome website

ok so:

pick an article on Lingq
I copy and paste the article into Word and save it as a txt. format so it works on the kindle.
Then download the audio that goes along with the text and upload that onto your kindle as well.
You can play the audio while reading at the same time, it is a beautiful tool to study with.

:)

Thanks for the tip I was wondering today if I could put LingQ stuff on my kindle

Thomas_DC
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 5584 days ago

58 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, French
Studies: German, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 13
23 January 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I have a kindle, and i use it all the time for my french studies. What i really like about it is the built-in dictionary which is really effective for instant look-ups while reading (i would get bored very quickly if i had to look the words up in a book or on the internet) Another nice thing is the availability of public domain books. I read these on the kindle while listening to the audiobook on my iPod (i know that the kindle can play mp3's as well, but it seems that the software is still very undeveloped)

Amazon and othersfrench ee book catalogues are rather limited though - but if you like reading classics, it shouldn't be a problem

The text-to-speech option only works with English though.. And even with English it sounds a little odd - but it might be OK for some.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version