Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Language hating show hosts

Tags: TV
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 7
22 January 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Rush is an example of ignorant
language hating talk show hosts. Care to comment, or provide other examples?
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 7
22 January 2011 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Just because someone doesn't like languages, it's okay to hate someone because of that? Wow. Just. Wow.

And I only had to read the first sentence of the article to know that a liberal wrote it. And I didn't bother reading the rest of it, because I hate reading liberally biased articles. I already read the Wall Street Journal (business major here) and that's enough liberal crap for me to digest.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5155 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 3 of 7
22 January 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
There wasn't any "hating" that I could see in the clip you linked to. Here it is not uncommon to make fun of how English sounds, yet I've never seen anyone become offended by it. Regarding how my own language and culture are portrayed in the U.S., I've seen far worse ignorance coming from Hollywood and the TV industry than this host person's silly mocking of Chinese.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
22 January 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I wasn't really interested in seeing how much Limbaugh 'hates' the Chinese so I didn't finish it, but the interesting part of this kind of things is how offended OTHER PEOPLE get... instead of the ones being mocked!

I remember a radio program I heard once, and there was this guy rambling against a chocolate-covered peanut make because the product was advertised using these black round characters in tribal clothes--so it could offend black people and so on... the show host invited the next two guests -who happened to be black people recently arrived from Africa- in to see what they thought, and to the other guy's surprise they were not only not offended at all, but they found the 'offending characters' cute and funny.

If the mocked don't even take notice, I don't see why others should care the very least. Hell, if a guy mocks whomever in a really disrespectful way and offends them, he'll be only making a fool of himself AND he'll get some kind of response from the >offendees<.

Another diplomatic incident that failed to happen :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5333 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 5 of 7
22 January 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
This is a political topic disguised as a language topic, except without the disguise part
4 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 6 of 7
22 January 2011 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Rush Limbaugh is the sort of fellow who just says outrageous things when the media spotlight drifts away from him. He is making a show, and he knows his fan base consists almost entirely of extremists among whom racism is popular. The only smart thing to do, from a marketing standpoint, is to pander to that bigotry to keep your viewers engaged and to keep the media's attention on you. One has to wonder how much Limbaugh actually believes in what he says. And why his opponents are so intent on giving him all the attention he craves.

Edited by Levi on 22 January 2011 at 5:57am

5 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
22 January 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
This topic isn't really language related. I'm closing the thread.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version