InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6658 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 29
28 March 2006 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Because I now have most of the week to myself would you recommend I 'overlearn' one lesson per day or try to get through two? (currently at lesson 23 passive wave)

I might try and find some Spanish radio also
1 person has voted this message useful

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6699 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 2 of 29
28 March 2006 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
InsanePenguin wrote:
Because I now have most of the week to myself would you recommend I 'overlearn' one lesson per day or try to get through two? (currently at lesson 23 passive wave)

I might try and find some Spanish radio also

I would only suggest trying both options and finding out which of them suits you better

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6879 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French

Message 3 of 29
28 March 2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
InsanePenguin wrote:
Because I now have most of the week to myself would you recommend I 'overlearn' one lesson per day or try to get through two?

Rather than "over learning" you could try "over listening" to the lessons. It makes the active wave that much easier. Some days you might be up for two lessons, others maybe only one. Try adding old lessons to a play list and play them on shuffle whenever you have a chance.

Edited by Farley on 28 March 2006 at 8:37pm

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6658 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 

Message 4 of 29
29 March 2006 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
That sounds like a good idea and I have been listening more, what do you aim for, knowing what every exact word means or knowing what every sentence means?

Of course some cannot be translated to English exactly anyway.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 29
29 March 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
InsanePenguin wrote:
... what do you aim for, knowing what every exact word means or knowing what every sentence means?

You can aim higher - to understand the dialogs directly in your target language. Basically, you get to the point when you listen and somehow "just know" what is being said.

This does not need to be a precondition for moving on to the next dialog, but as you keep reviewing the ones already studied over and over, as Farley has suggested, you will find yourself getting to that state of comprehension.

Edited by frenkeld on 29 March 2006 at 2:25pm

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6821 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German

Message 6 of 29
29 March 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Yes indeed!!

About individual words: this may be not correct for Assimil (passive wave?), I don't know.

PERSONALY anyway, I do like to know as much as possible about a sentence. At least what a word means.
That's why I often ask questions about sentences because I'm curious about why a sentence is like it is.
If it can't be translated exactly or it turns out to be a idiom or something like that, then at least I know THAT. Either way, I'll understand that sentence more then and I can move on, not beeing bother with many questions. My experience is that if you do dig into the sentences a little more, you'll understand the language a little better with time.

However, you can of course also go to far. Sometimes it's also good to take some distance and wait until things become more clear and obvious when you progress in the language. I do post a lot :) but there are also many questions I don't ask because I have learned that sometimes the answer will come later in the course or there will suddenly be a 'eureka moment' :)
The more Spanish you know, the more connections you will start to see I think.

One example of digging a little deeper and learning something worthwhile was for me the sentence "en las afueras" = "in the outskirts". Platiquemos only translated "las afueraS" but I wondered what would happen if it wasn't plural (afuera).
And then I discovered that the meaning changed to "outside". The link between outskirts and outside is easy to remember and so I learned 2 new words instead of 1, only by removing an s :)

Edited by tuffy on 29 March 2006 at 2:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6658 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 

Message 7 of 29
29 March 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed this, I'm better not stressing knowing everything perfectly in one go, because I'm always reviewing anyway, aslong as I understand the meaning I should move on each day.

I think I will also finish units II and III of Pimsleur, I can't deny how well unit I worked for me, I know it's time consuming - but now I have loads of time!

I can probably do a Pimsleur lesson twice per day and an hour + of Assimil easily.

It seems the best of both worlds, alot of audio and interaction, plus reading and comprehension.

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6821 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German

Message 8 of 29
29 March 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great indeed!
I can't deny it either: Pimsleur has helped me a lot too. I can't imagine how difficult Platiquemos would have been without this introduction to Spanish.
This sounds like a good combination indeed, not too much and indeed a good meal every day :)

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version