Sweden
Joined 6965 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 17 of 29
12 April 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
My goal with studying right now is to understand what I'm listening to/reading. If I understand what a sentence means, I move on. I don't look it up in the grammar book and I don't puzzle over why it is said that way. After all languages weren't designed by mathematicians so usually there just isn't a good reason why things are said in a certain way.
If I understand what a sentence means I know that sooner or later with enough exposure to the pattern I will learn it.
This is why I like bilingual texts. If you don't understand the sentence you are reading you just glance at the opposite page and get the explanation immediately.
2 persons have voted this message useful

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6598 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 18 of 29
12 April 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Americano wrote:
So, that is only 3 months away. Could I double my effort and do two lessons a day? That would make it 3 months to completion. If they're only 30-45 minutes each lesson, then two a day seems easy to me, but i've never used the Assimil, so I only know the program from reading others reports about it.

I think it's completely reasonable to say you could do two lessons a day. It's supposedly better if you don't do everything at once, but split it up throughout the day. Optimal "burst-learning" times are between 15 and 30 minutes. You will also hopefully be listening to the dialogs throughout the day, as a review, on an mp3 player or something.

Americano wrote:
I do have FSI Barrons I right now, which is 1/4 of the original program, and I could finish that easily before I go, and get into Barrons II before going, and continue it in Mexico. I'm just really confused on what to use as my "main" program. Assimil seems faster, but maybe not as in-depth as FSI, and FSI seems to take so much time, but it supposedly pounds the language into you, so to speak.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on FSI, as I've had no exposure to it. I've been generally amazed at how fast Assimil introduces you to Spanish, but I think they can get away with it because everything is presented in context and they don't ask you to apply any of the points until you've been seeing them for months. As an example, in the first 35 lessons of Assimil, the reader is exposed to the following verb forms: present indicative, imperfect indicative, preterite, future, and perfect indicative; they have had passing exposure to the present subjunctive and the pluperfect indicative, as well as maybe others that I'm not thinking of right now.

That's all within the first 5 weeks of listening for 30 minutes a day. In your case, you'll "know" all of that by week 3 (at least passive recognition of it). Most beginner Spanish courses that I've seen would not come close to exposing you to all of those forms in the first 18 hours of study, but like I've said, I've never seen the FSI Spanish course.

Hope this helps,
--reltuk

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6694 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 19 of 29
12 April 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
This is why I like bilingual texts. If you don't understand the sentence you are reading you just glance at the opposite page and get the explanation immediately.

I on the contrary do not like bilingual texts and have found them not as useful as I once thought. Often the translation is very different from the text in target language and can give very vague idea of what is being said in target language. Obly such bilingual text where translation is kept as litteral as possible would be more helpful.

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6653 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 29
12 April 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
I know what you mean but for Spanish I think they are good because generally the translations are as literal as possible, I guess it depends on the language
1 person has voted this message useful

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6965 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 29
13 April 2006 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:

I on the contrary do not like bilingual texts and have found them not as useful as I once thought. Often the translation is very different from the text in target language and can give very vague idea of what is being said in target language. Obly such bilingual text where translation is kept as litteral as possible would be more helpful.

Well in ny view, even if the translation is not literal, they can still give you and idea of the meaning of the sentence. I bascially use them instead of using a grammar book to figure out tricky sentences. However I might not dare to only rely on them to learn the words in the target language. I still look up unknown words in the target language to get the exact meaning. But I still think these text help figure out how things are said in the language. For instance I have been looking at "Teach yourself cantonese" lately which has no translations. I think that if I didn't already have a grounding in mandarin I would find it a bit tricky to use. Because I would constantly have to refer to the grammar notes to figure out what sentences mean. As it is know I can rely on my knowledge of mandarin to help since the two languages are rather similar (although by no means identical) grammaticaly. In my view the Assimil format is much better, where you just glance at the opposite page and immediately get the meaning of the sentence.

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6694 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds

Message 22 of 29
13 April 2006 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:

For instance I have been looking at "Teach yourself cantonese" lately which has no translations. I think that if I didn't already have a grounding in mandarin I would find it a bit tricky to use. Because I would constantly have to refer to the grammar notes to figure out what sentences mean.

I wonder why there is so little or no courses which would contain litteral rather than idiomatic translation along target language texts. Maybe authors of textbooks feel uneasy to write translation of texts in "broken" English, it maybe seems to them as a mockery of English, as something inapropriate.

Quote:
In my view the Assimil format is much better, where you just glance at the opposite page and immediately get the meaning of the sentence.

Is the translation in Assimil courses litteral or idiomatic French(or English)? From what you say I suppose it shall be idiomatic, but earlier I presumed that it should be litteral, since the second phase of Assimil method presupposes that the student should cover the text in target language, and try to reconstitute the text of target language from the French(English) translation. Yet if this translation is idiomatic, this task would be almost impossible since the structure of English/French can be completely different from that of target language.

Eg. a very simple example. Let's say we have a Russian phrase

V parlamente proizoshlo sobranie

if we would translate litterally into English we would have:

In parlament happened meeting.

Clearly that the student can easily recreate the Russian phrase from litteral English translation.

If we translate not litterally into English we would have:

There was a meeting held in the parliament.

If the student will try to "recreate" this sentence into Russian he will get a nonsense like:

*tam bylo sobranie soderzhano v parlamente.

Of course with some toil and thinking the student maybe would be able to achieve the correct phrase in Russian, but would it very different from the notorious grammatical-translational method? And in my eyes, a method which requires thinking cannot be called "without toil" or "sans peine".

So I would like you to explain me what kind of translation is used in Assimil?

cheemaster
Canada
Joined 6827 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 23 of 29
13 April 2006 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:
Is the translation in Assimil courses litteral or idiomatic French(or English)? From what you say I suppose it shall be idiomatic, but earlier I presumed that it should be litteral, since the second phase of Assimil method presupposes that the student should cover the text in target language, and try to reconstitute the text of target language from the French(English) translation. Yet if this translation is idiomatic, this task would be almost impossible since the structure of English/French can be completely different from that of target language
[....]
So I would like you to explain me what kind of translation is used in Assimil?

Currently, I am using "Assimil - le chinois sans peine". As this is the only Assimil course I have studied, I can not be sure if all of their courses follow the same format. Nevertheless, to answer your question based on my limited experience, "le chionis sans peine" has both idiomatic translation, and literal translation. This, in my opinion, is the ideal format for such a method; the idiomatic translation allows the student to comprehend the implied meaning of each phrase, while the accompanying literal translation breaks down the sentence into its constituents. This helps with the grammatical understanding of a given construction, as well as vocabulary aquisition. Furthermore, having literal translation, in addition to idiomatic translation, helps to prevent nonsensical translations of idiomatic language as you have described. I hope I have answered your question to some extent.

Is the method of dual-translation common to most Assimil courses?

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6694 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds

Message 24 of 29
13 April 2006 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
InsanePenguin wrote:
I know what you mean but for Spanish I think they are good because generally the translations are as literal as possible, I guess it depends on the language

Spanish is structurally sufficiently close to English, so that make translation as litteral as possible which would not look as "broken English" is in the most cases possible. However there are more problems when we deal with a language like Korean. In this case a litteral translation alone would be also not very helpful, since it can be unintelligible. Therefore one would need two translations - one litteral, very litteral(probably one would have to use some metasymbols for Korean affixes and function words with no equivalent in English) and another more idiomatic. The former would explain structure, the latter would give a more immediate grasp of sense.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version