Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5796 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 9 of 10
24 January 2011 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
They're inseparable for me. When I start a new language and I start gathering resources, I first look for unabridged audiobooks, and then I look to see if any of those have both an English ebook and an L2 ebook. Anything that has all 3 becomes one of the resources I use, and I drop anything that doesn't have all 3 (or at least wait until I have much more experience with the language).
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6126 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 10 of 10
24 January 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I suppose one of the issues I had in making this thread was whether reading, at an advanced level, is enough on its own to keep a language alive and to maintain listening comprehension. This is where I thought audio books would come in: one could expand one's vocabulary indefinitely by means of literature, all the while improving and maintaining aural contact with the language. This is based on the assumption that listening comprehension is harder, or at least takes longer, to build and maintain than mere reading abilities (with the important exception of such languages as Chinese and Japanese). At least that has been the case with me. If I can read French literature reasonably well, my listening comprehension is almost certainly a notch below. This is why I've considered "ditching" (at least for the time being) the written word and engaging with the spoken word to keep the language alive in my head.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version