Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 17 of 23
24 January 2011 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
christian wrote:
Ok. I'll go ahead and pick it up. Does this mean
I got ripped off for buying the German with ease book from B&N for $30 and then
torrenting the audio, when I could have had the actual CDs for another $3? Man.

I love how you feel ripped off after you illegally downloaded the audio.
I guess
ripped off is the wrong term. Feeling "just downright awful" would have been a better
choice. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Hardheim
Diglot
United States
Joined 5010 days ago

34 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 18 of 23
24 January 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
christian wrote:
Hardheim wrote:
newyorkeric wrote:
I found Language-Learning-Programs/dp/2700510704/ref=tmm_abk_title_0 ?
ie=UTF8&qid=1295796043&sr=8-1">this on Amazon
. It seems to be the book and the
CDs, but the picture is definitely different from the $33 listing that used to be on
Amazon so I am not really sure what the deal is.

I purchsed this exact one a few months ago. This one will give the semi hard cover
book (with a white cover, not the one shown) that is not the absolute latest, but the
second latest. For whatever reason, if you buy the Assimil French from amazon, you get
the latest one with a very soft cover with the cubie thingy on it. And yes, for $32
you get the books and the 4 cds. The limited availability of some of the different
versions (I believe they are all basically the same) accounts for the huge price
discrepancies.

So does this mean I have to actually pay full price from Assimil? I want the latest.

Well, if you want to be guaranteed the very latest, then, yes you'll likely pay full price. But, if you do enough searches on this website, there seems to be really knowledgable people that use the Assimil product that thinks each successive version becomes a little more dumbed down. I can guarantee you, that if you pick up the last version and learn it, you will be at least as well off as buying the very latest. Very little has actually changed in the Spanish language over the last 10 years.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 23
24 January 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
christian wrote:
newyorkeric wrote:
christian wrote:
Ok. I'll go ahead and pick it up. Does this mean
I got ripped off for buying the German with ease book from B&N for $30 and then
torrenting the audio, when I could have had the actual CDs for another $3? Man.

I love how you feel ripped off after you illegally downloaded the audio.
I guess
ripped off is the wrong term. Feeling "just downright awful" would have been a better
choice. ;)

It seems you did pretty well. $30 isn't such a bad price for the text.

christian
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

111 posts - 135 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 20 of 23
24 January 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
christian wrote:

newyorkeric wrote:
christian wrote:
Ok. I'll go ahead
and pick it up. Does this mean
I got ripped off for buying the German with ease book from
B&N for $30 and then
torrenting the audio, when I could have had the actual CDs for
another $3? Man.

I love how you feel ripped off after you illegally downloaded the
audio.
I guess
ripped off is the wrong term. Feeling "just downright awful"
would have been a better
choice. ;)

It seems you did pretty well. $30 isn't such a bad price for the
text.

Well right now they are going for $30 on the assimil site. So I
broke even.

Artek
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4841 days ago

6 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 21 of 23
21 February 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Back to the point. The main difference between the slightly older version "Buenos dias Pablo. Ana, que tal estas?" and the most recent one "Buenos dias, una tapa de tortilla, por favor" is that the latter is much more focused and pragmatic. The vocabulary is a bit smaller but far more practical and 'visit-to-Spain-oriented" than in the former edition (in which it sometimes seemed like the author got carried away wanting to vent his literary frustrations). In my humble opinion it's still a pretty good course. On the cover it boasts B2 European level, which is BS. However, it is the case with most beginner courses so I won't hold it against the Assimil guys. Another thing is that the audio is available in mp3, which is great, and a direction all publishers should follow.(They won't win with piracy anyway so, why make life more difficult for legal buyers and serious language learners who want to have audio in this comfortable format). Sadlly, both the above mentioned courses can't beat the 50/60s version in its divine thoroughness with explanations rich in synonyms and alternative ways of saying a given thing. (Not many courses tell you explicitly that you can drop "el" or "la" in a given expresion, or give you four different ways -in one place- of how to say "every day" in Spanish. Oh God, how much easier our life would be with more courses like the old Assimils...)
PS.
Sorry. One more thing. In case anyone from Assimil actually happens to read this. Come on guys, I know that the first couple of lessons must be recorded more slowly but what you did with the latest edition is an abomination. Some of us may be beginners but we are not idiots!!! And do something with your website. I (which means that potentially thousands of other customers as well) haven't been able to access it with both my browsers for like months now. Ok, I'm done.

Edited by Artek on 21 February 2011 at 2:40am

4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5371 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 22 of 23
21 February 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Artek wrote:
I know that the first couple of lessons must be recorded more slowly but what you did with the latest edition is an abomination.

Agreed. It's very odd. It's so stilted, I think it actually makes it harder to understand sometimes.

Footnoted
United States
Joined 4668 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 23 of 23
20 August 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Does anyone else with the Spanish with Ease book have a problem with the print? Compared to my New French with Ease, the font in my S-W-E edition is small (the exercise sections incredibly so) and faintly printed (on flimsy paper no less), making the text a challenge to read at times. Plus the emphasized syllable contains a darkened letter, which I find distracting--it makes it hard for me to just see the word itself. Incidentally my edition has a white semihard cover, a red ribbon, with ISBN 978-2-7005-0131-5. Oh and it opens with the lines Buenos Dias Paco -- Ana que tal estas.

Edited by Footnoted on 20 August 2011 at 7:20am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version