Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German, Russian, French, English

Message 1 of 23
22 January 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!
I’ve seen here a lot of questions of the kind „How much time do I need to learn the language Z?“ and at some moment I got inspired to try to answer it in the form „You need X hours“.

Preface.
The Defense Language Institute published the numbers concerning the learning speed for several languages (link). These numbers reflect the time needed to be spent learning by an average american student. For example, this „average“ student needs 1320 hours to achieve intermediate level in Chinese (considered a hard language), 720 hours for the same level in Polish (considered somewhere in between) and 480 hours for Dutch (considered an easy language).
In this forum there are a lot of people who are native or highly advanced English speakers. On the other side, you may have some knowledge in related language(s) that makes these „average“ numbers irrelevant for you. For example, if you have a good knowledge in Russian, for sure you need less than 720 hours to learn Polish at the intermediate level.

Face.
So, I tried to to build a calculator that gives you an estimate of how much time do you need to spend to achieve an intermediate level in your target language given your language portfolio, here: litvak.eu/lang

Some examples of the results:
1) Input: your target is to be intermediate in Portuguese, you are lower intermediate (B1) in Spanish
Output: it’ll take you 260 hours, link

2) Input: your target is to be intermediate in German, you are advanced (C1) in French;
Output: it’ll take you 430 hours, link

Don’t hesitate to write here if you find it useful or not. Those who have already achieved the intermediate proficiency in some language, please tell me if the numbers produced by this calculator correspond to the time you have actually spent.
12 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4996 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 23
23 January 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I don't think it's particularly useful. I wouldn't know where to classify my language abilities anyways.

I was playing with it though. Why does having the combination of French, Spanish, German, and Japanese at any level increase the amount of time it states for Korean? When I take any one of them off it goes back to the base amount. And why does adding a high level of Khmer as a fifth language bring the number back down again?

Edit: It's not at any level. It seems to be the middle levels of Japanese that are doing it. High advanced, fluent, basic, and elementary don't affect it. If I mess with the others I get varied results, but Japanese seems to have the most negative effect. But even with Japanese at intermediate if I take off any of the other three it goes back the base, as I said.

Edited by hjordis on 23 January 2011 at 12:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 

Message 3 of 23
23 January 2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:

I was playing with it though. Why does having the combination of French, Spanish, German, and Japanese at any level increase the amount of time it states for Korean? When I take any one of them off it goes back to the base amount. And why does adding a high level of Khmer as a fifth language bring the number back down again?

Edit: It's not at any level. It seems to be the middle levels of Japanese that are doing it. High advanced, fluent, basic, and elementary don't affect it. If I mess with the others I get varied results, but Japanese seems to have the most negative effect. But even with Japanese at intermediate if I take off any of the other three it goes back the base, as I said.

Thanks for giving feedback!
The explanation for the Korean is as follows. Only correlated languages diminish the amount of hours to be spent learning the target language. French, Spanish and German (for Japanese I must look up) are set to have zero correlation (relation) to Korean, so knowledge in these languages isn't supposed to make the learning of Korean easier. Take any related languages and you see the benefit ))
Anyway, I'll look it up tomorrow more precisely to track a possible mistake.

Edited by litovec on 23 January 2011 at 12:48am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 4 of 23
23 January 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I agree. I tried it out for Dutch, including all of my languages and their levels and it said 1700 hours. But when I only included the assumed English and B2-level German it said half a year or less (5 hours per week). But shouldn't my knowledge of Swedish and French help me with my Dutch too? Or even Japanese or Romanian for that matter, simply because they have given me experience with studying languages.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4996 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 5 of 23
23 January 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
litovec wrote:

Thanks for giving feedback!
The explanation for the Korean is as follows. Only correlated languages diminish the amount of hours to be spent learning the target language. French, Spanish and German (for Japanese I must look up) are set to have zero correlation (relation) to Korean, so knowledge in these languages isn't supposed to make the learning of Korean easier. Take any related languages and you see the benefit ))
Anyway, I'll look it up tomorrow more precisely to track a possible mistake.
No but, see, the combination of all four of them makes it harder. By something over 200 hours at some fluency levels. If I have any three of them it's set to no correlation, but with all four of them it makes it harder. And how is Khmer related to Korean? Granted, I don't know much about Khmer and am still getting started in Korean.

Edited by hjordis on 23 January 2011 at 1:04am

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 

Message 6 of 23
23 January 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I agree. I tried it out for Dutch, including all of my languages and their levels and it said 1700 hours. But when I only included the assumed English and B2-level German it said half a year or less (5 hours per week). But shouldn't my knowledge of Swedish and French help me with my Dutch too? Or even Japanese or Romanian for that matter, simply because they have given me experience with studying languages.

hjordis wrote:
No but, see, the combination of all four of them makes it harder. By something over 200 hours at some fluency levels. If I have any three of them it's set to no correlation, but with all four of them it makes it harder.

Thank you guys, these are definitely bugs. It turns out that with many languages being marked, sometimes it goes mad. I'll fix it in the next few days.

hjordis wrote:
And how is Khmer related to Korean? Granted, I don't know much about Khmer and am still getting started in Korean.

To the most part I based upon the classification of language families and groups.
For example, Hindi and German are both from Indo-European languages, so they have some correlation. German and English are Germanic languages subgroup of Indo-European, so they have a bigger correlation as German and Hindi etc.
As Korean and Khmer are from distant language families, Khmer is set to be unrelated to Korean. For some European languages there are quantitative data on their distance, I used it too. I also tried to take into account some influenting languages (like Arabic had a big influence on Farsi, even though they are from different language groups). For European languages it works better, as there is more data on them.

The case you've mentioned (4 languages make it harder to learn Korean than 3) is a bug that I wouldn't detect without your help! I'm working on it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5515 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 7 of 23
23 January 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
I followed the link and put in my stats. I'm learning Italian but am already around B1 in
Spanish. It recommended 250 hours. After 320 hours of Italian I wouldn't describe myself
as B1 or B2. Maybe the recommendations are a little optimistic...

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 

Message 8 of 23
23 January 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Oasis88 wrote:
I followed the link and put in my stats. I'm learning Italian but am already around B1 in
Spanish. It recommended 250 hours. After 320 hours of Italian I wouldn't describe myself
as B1 or B2. Maybe the recommendations are a little optimistic...

Interesting!
Just one question, have you been at B1 in Spanish before you started learning Italian? I'd like to precise it because the logic behind it is that you are at B1 in Spanish with no idea in Italian, then you need in average 250 hours to climb up to the intermediate level in Italian.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version