Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 7
23 January 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Oki,
I have been studying Swedish on and off for some time now but not until now have I
started attending intensive Swedish lessons. I can somewhat communicate in Swedish now
and I am currently studying mainly grammar and pronounciation. The grammar is part of
my course. The pronounciation is not.
I read a lot about the L-R method and the last time I used audio text with written
material I progressed rapidly in my knowledge. However, my level was not good enough to
keep up this technique going withough having have to stop all the time and look up
words. Which demotivated me pretty fast.

I want to give the L-R method (adjusted) another shot at the same time I study Swedish
in school. I am not a big "talk about myself" person, however I really want to keep
some journal going, I want to make this public - so I feel some pressure to continue
and maybe get some ideas from other members.

SO here I am:
I have a Swedish book called: Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann.
I also have the audio for the book.
When reading the text I understand the story and unknown words from the context. The
more times I read the text, the more I seem to understand.

My strategy will be:

1.Listen to the chapter in Swedish audio first - to see how much I understand without
seing the text.
2. Read the text with the audio, underlying unknown words.
3. Read the text again with the audio and look up the underlined words if I still dont
get their exact meaning.
4. Read the text 2x more while listening to audio.
5. Read the text aloud together with audio - probably 2x.

I aim for a 15 minute long text at the time (about one chapter in the book). I read in
many places that you need to spend at least 2+ hours on this exercise. Ill do my best
to go above these two hours.
I want to make a total of 120 hours my goal.

Starting today!

Ill keep the log every day. This way, should it happen that I fail some days, I am
forced to say it - and feel the guilt! WHich will then motivate me to continue again!
:) (I hope...)

Anyy support will be great!

Edited by hradska on 23 January 2011 at 6:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hradska
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes

Message 2 of 7
23 January 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Day one!
Ok, today I have done a total of 1,5 hours of this exercise.

I read and looked up the unknown words already yesterday, so today I was just reading.

2x 15 min reading while listening to the audio
4x of 15 min reading aloud while listening to the audio.

I found that reading aloud while listening at the same time is quite challenging. It
felt as the audio was really fast and I could not decide if I should focus more on the
written text or the spoken text. It was quite challenging to keep up with both text and
sound and my speaking skills + focus on the book content.
However, the last time I read those 15 min of text I did manage to get some flow, Did
focus on pronouncing the words right and felt better about the way I was reading. I
tried to copy readers intonations and melody.

As I did not reach at least the promised 2 hours I am not happy with my work. It did
feel like I was getting somewhere with my reading, but got too tired to read over those
15 minutes again. Ill do a better job tomorrow! :)

Bolkonsky
Diglot
France
Joined 5015 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 3 of 7
23 January 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for this interesting log hradska. I'm also learning Swedish and I'm looking forward to seeing if your method will be efficient or not. This method can certainly turn out to be boring but if you manage to apply it everyday you will undoubtedly make some improvements. Lycka till !

hradska
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes

Message 4 of 7
24 January 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Bolkonsky :)

Day 2:
Today I read a total of 30 minutes of NEW text.
With re-reading and repeating I spent a total of 1h and 45 minutes on it.
Still not there yet, but I am getting use to the process, so I am sure I will increase my
time soon. What I found again is that reading aloud with the audio became a bit easier
again.

I have a headache from all the focus and pain in my throat from the loud reading hehe.
But this is no problem, Ill keep pushing!

hradska
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes

Message 5 of 7
25 January 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Day 3

I went through all the text I have already went through and read it out loud all again.
This took about 1 hour. Then I went through all my underlined words and word connections
and was happy to see how many I understood now and had already latent in my head.

I then went through a new text of about 30 minutes slow reading time.

So 1,5 hours today.

I am still well behind my plan and do not feel any GREAT progress. However, this does not
mean anything yet. I hope to intensify my reading soon!

hradska
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes

Message 6 of 7
28 January 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Ok, this dint go so well. We had some unexpected visitors and everything else was put
aside. I got back to reading/listening today and spent 1,5 hours on it.
I split this 1,5 hours into two sections of 45 minutes with a 45 minutes break in
between. So I am now wonderring if those propagated 10 hours a day could be reached if
one studied every other hour? This way one would have one whole hour to recharge the
batteries and focus for the next hour? Whould this stop the flow? Or would this work even
better?
Any thoughts?

hradska
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5926 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes

Message 7 of 7
31 January 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Today I have made the biggest progress so far!
I started early in the morning and read and listened for maybe 45 minutes. I had a
break and then did it again twice before going to school.
I did even more reading when I came home from school and then something interesting
happened. After about 45 minutes of reading out loud this afternoon I started "super
pronouncing" the Swedish words. I think this is the closest I have ever been to
pronouncing correctly. My mouth started opening much more and I really started over
pronouncing the words. It was as if my brain and mouth muscles learned to cope with the
sound it hears and says and tried to articulate the words as close as possible.

When I try speakng Swedish now, the effect is gone, but I still feel some progress was
made... Ill see after some time if it actually improved my spoken Swedish.

Today: about 3,5 hours and I am going to read some more now.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version