Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TOEFL iBT - CPE (Certificate Proficiency)

Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
Fabrizio
Pentaglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 1 of 5
23 January 2011 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Hello guys,

I just got my TOEFL iBT score: 111/120 points - (R. 27/30, L. 30/30, S. 27/30, W.
27/30). According to the ETS website and its "CEFR Official Score Comparison Table," my
level of language competence should be somewhere around the C1 level.
This is actually pretty discouraging English being my first foreign language... I've
been learning it for ages, and what I eventually came up with is a C1 level! Great...
Having said this, I think time is come to get ready to sit the CPE (Certificate of
Proficiency in English.)
So, to sum up: Does anyone know how to prepare for this language certification? How can
I sharpen my English? Constructive advices are as always more than welcome :)

Many thanks

Link:"
Comparison table"

Edited by Fasulye on 27 January 2011 at 6:48am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5990 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Kazakh, Spanish

Message 2 of 5
23 January 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Don't put so much stock into the "level" of English you're given. First of all, exam English isn't nearly the same as real English. I'm an English teacher and I spend most of my time preparing students for TOEFL/IELTS, and some of them can manage very high scores, yet their actual English abilities (in practical terms) are fairly bad.

My recommendation for further study would be to focus almost exclusively on vocabulary. Judging by your post and your TOEFL score, you probably have pretty good grammar. So the last hurdle to reaching real "fluency" would be to try to increase your vocabulary as much as possible to the level of a native speaker. The nice thing about vocabulary is it helps all aspects of your language: speaking/listening/reading/writing.

How you do this depends on your learning style, but obviously using native materials is a good bet for you.

Please please please don't fall into the trap I see lots of students succumb to; they focus so much on preparing for individual exams, that they completely neglect their general English. You can spend thousands of hours preparing for a specific exam, but if your general English is lacking, your scoring possibilities are going to be limited.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CorruptingYouth
United States
webkohder.net
Joined 4870 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 5
23 January 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Fabrizio, if you didn't say that you are learning English as a second language, then I
would think you speak English as your first. It's very good. As an American, I know
plenty of native English speakers who would probably fail that test!

Having to write academic papers or for publication (where tight style guidelines force
the writer to get creative sometimes) has increased my own language skills. Perhaps you
can find a situation where your writing would be critiqued by people who are already
very proficient?

Also, I think that knowing idioms is very important to sounding like a native speaker.
It might not help you with your test, but there are many websites that list English
idioms. Just be careful as their use is very dependent on region, age group, situation,
etc. The websites I saw weren't always clear on that. If you want to use a new idiom,
I'd ask an English speaker what they think first.
1 person has voted this message useful

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6293 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 4 of 5
23 January 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
As you may know, there are 5 papers in CPE. For me the best preparation for the "Use of English" and "Reading" were past papers: the more, the better. If I made mistakes in the tasks, I wrote out the sentences to remember them. I think, Anki can work here, too. As for "Listening", you have to get used to it, as the questions are rather round-about there, and often logical abilities are tested, not language per se. Again, do the listening tasks from CPE textbooks. When it comes to writing, you just have to remember the structure of different tasks (essays, different types of letters, etc.) and remember about the time. As for "Speaking", it's better tohave someone to practice it with.
Good luck.

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 5 of 5
27 January 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Hi there,

I'm sorry for my very late reply, I apologise.
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your answers! It's always useful to read about
other people' recommendations and personal experiences, you're an invaluable source of
inspiration for a "young" learner like me :)
I think you're right, I should probably focus my attention on vocabulary and idioms. I
might maybe use this visual bilingual English-Spanish dictionary I've got and combine
the study of the two languages... I don't know, it's just an idea.
Going through the past papers of the exam is a good idea too, but I think I'll do it
just before I sit the certification. I would rather use them in order to "crack" the
test, to come up with some good strategy.
Resources for native speakers are probably the best I can use, but I just have to
figure out how to make the best out of them. Anki is a useful tool, but I find it
extremely boring. Damn... :P

@ CorruptingYouth: Thank you very much for your kind words :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version