United States
garyrussell.us
Joined 5438 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish

Message 1 of 3
24 January 2011 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
So today was my first day of studying Polish. I listened to the first two tracks on the first Michel Thomas cd and I think I am comprehending it pretty well at this point. The only thing that I'm a little blurry on is the use of to/tego but I suspect that's something that will start to make sense as I explore the grammar more.

I also put about half of the vocab from lesson 1 of Colloquial Polish into Anki.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 3
24 January 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Congratulations (or commiserations, I don't know which!!) on your first day.
ANKI is great, in addition to the deck they already give you, I've created 4 decks of my own:

1) Vocabulary deck (words I come across or deliberately want to commit to memory).
   Even after 4 months I only have 860 words here, although I know many more.
   I'm esaing back on word acquistion at the moment, and concentrating on actually
   USING them. So I write sentences with them, play around with conjugations and
   cases. I was concerned that all I was doing was learning single words with no
   context, but I'll have another blast at word acquistion soon. I'm also very
   selective, just picking out the the most useful (not necessarily easy) words first.

2) Conjugation deck. I've chosen about 50 common verbs and am in the process of
   loading all the possible conjugates into ANKI including imperatives. I've included
   many of the irregular verbs. I'm thinking of creating another, slimmed-down
   version, of this deck with EVERY verb but only a few conjugates typical of the
   word.

3) Expressions deck. All the usual introductions, greetings, explanations, reactions,
   interjections.

4) Idioms deck. Polish has some great idioms that are worth learning. My favourite is:
   "Co ma piernik do wiatraka?" ["What has gingerbread to do with a windmill?"]
    You say it when the person you are talking to suddenly changes the topic of
    conversation.

arcelt
United States
garyrussell.us
Joined 5438 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Spanish, Polish

Message 3 of 3
25 January 2011 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Great advice, thanks. By the way, I'm inadvertently created a new log when this was meant to be day two of my Polish log, so I'm going to copy my post over to my original log

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version