Colombia
Joined 5127 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 25 of 44
26 January 2011 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
Why is a physicist uncultured if he
doesn't know any Shakespeare plays but a professor of English is not uncultured if he doesn't know Maxwell's
equations and how to apply them?

I'd say either of them would profit from appreciating both Shakespeare and electrodynamics. But while as you rightly point out science is universal (or so we believe) and in principle anyone anywhere can take part in physics sharing but a single language, that of mathematics, not knowing Chinese or Arabic or Sanskrit will irremediably preclude you from accessing vast stores of the great wonders of human inventiveness. Language study allows one to approach the universal through diversity, and this is what makes it interesting, at least to me.

Furthermore, even in mathematics, knowledge of Russian for an American or European mathematician opens up great possibilities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5055 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 26 of 44
26 January 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Merv wrote:
Why is a physicist uncultured if he
doesn't know any Shakespeare plays but a professor of English is not uncultured if he doesn't know Maxwell's
equations and how to apply them?

I'd say either of them would profit from appreciating both Shakespeare and electrodynamics. But while as you
rightly point out science is universal (or so we believe) and in principle anyone anywhere can take part in physics
sharing but a single language, that of mathematics, not knowing Chinese or Arabic or Sanskrit will irremediably
preclude you from accessing vast stores of the great wonders of human inventiveness. Language study allows
one to approach the universal through diversity, and this is what makes it interesting, at least to me.

Furthermore, even in mathematics, knowledge of Russian for an American or European mathematician opens up
great possibilities.

Actually, what you say about mathematics is quite true, much more so than in science. In science English is
generally sufficient, but in mathematics, many graduate schools in America require students to know two other
languages to a reading knowledge, usually French, German, or Russian. Historically, mathematicians writing in
English, French, German, and Russian have dominated the field, with Polish and Italian being important secondary
languages.

Edited by Merv on 26 January 2011 at 4:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4904 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 27 of 44
27 January 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I'm not down with learning Latin, AND Ancient Chinese simply because my dad is European and my mom is Taiwanese... Why should I? Why should anyone have to learn a language simply because they are part of the race of people who once spoke it? After reading all the posts, that struck me as the most absurd point of view.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 27 January 2011 at 8:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4833 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 28 of 44
27 January 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I don't agree with the idea to study Latin or Classical Greek to know better my language and my own literature. They are dead languages, not used nowadays.

If you want to know 6 languages, we can study all UNO languages, for instance: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Chinese. All of them are major languages and very useful to understand people from all the world.

But, it is too much, unless you work in an export dept. or it is your hobby.

If you are Westerner we should know three major European languages (Asian people one). English is almost compulsory.

Besides, we should study one or two of the next: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Russian.

Finally, we should study one Asian language (Asian people two): Chinese, Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Japanese, Hindi or Indonesian.

For example:
1. English
2. Spanish and/or French
3. Chinese and/or Arabic
4. Regional language if you have it.

In my opinion, it is enough with 3-4 languages.

biagio
Italy
Joined 4990 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 29 of 44
27 January 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Mad Max wrote:
I don't agree with the idea to study Latin or Classical Greek to know better my language and my own literature. They are dead languages, not used nowadays.

If you want to know 6 languages, we can study all UNO languages, for instance: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Chinese. All of them are major languages and very useful to understand people from all the world.

But, it is too much, unless you work in an export dept. or it is your hobby.

If you are Westerner we should know three major European languages (Asian people one). English is almost compulsory.

Besides, we should study one or two of the next: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Russian.

Finally, we should study one Asian language (Asian people two): Chinese, Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Japanese, Hindi or Indonesian.

For example:
1. English
2. Spanish and/or French
3. Chinese and/or Arabic
4. Regional language if you have it.

In my opinion, it is enough with 3-4 languages.

As to "dead" languages, I've often found myself capable of grasping the meaning of a totally unheard of new word simply because there was a Greek or Latin stem in it.
So, these dead languages can be useful, after all...
4 persons have voted this message useful

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4910 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 30 of 44
27 January 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
biagio wrote:

As to "dead" languages, I've often found myself capable of grasping the meaning of a totally unheard of new word
simply because there was a Greek or Latin stem in it.
So, these dead languages can be useful, after all...

Not to mention the thousands of years of literature in Greek and Latin.

I wouldn't say that it's every Westerner's duty to learn these languages, but the roots of specifically Western
civillization are found in them.

I don't think of this in racial or ethnic terms either, there are non-Western students of those languages, just as there
are Western students of Classical Chinese.

Edited by CS on 27 January 2011 at 2:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4910 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 31 of 44
27 January 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:

I also think that the whole satem/centum distinction as a paramount one in Indo-European linguistics has a
cultural bias of detaching "westerners" from "easterners," although its relevance becomes a bit questionable
when we have the "cross-overs" between the groups, as for example the links between Balto-Slavic and
Germanic, or between Greek and Armenian and Indo-Aryan.

Tocharian was centum, so I don't think that the distinction is given much attention these days.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 32 of 44
27 January 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
CS wrote:
Merv wrote:

I also think that the whole satem/centum distinction as a paramount one in Indo-European linguistics has a
cultural bias of detaching "westerners" from "easterners," although its relevance becomes a bit questionable
when we have the "cross-overs" between the groups, as for example the links between Balto-Slavic and
Germanic, or between Greek and Armenian and Indo-Aryan.

Tocharian was centum, so I don't think that the distinction is given much attention these days.

I was just thinking the same thing and indeed distinction is one of several isoglosses that occur within Indo-European, and not even all of these align to a simplistic cultural division between "Western" and "Eastern" civilizations. However there appears to be something to Merv's idea where in the early days of Indo-European studies linguists were affected by the idea of separating Western European civilizations from the rest of the world, as if languages and the associated cultures or civilizations shared something intrinsic that went beyond linguistics.

This centum-satem division was in line with this kind of distancing by Westerners from Easterners (notice also how many of the pioneers in Indo-European studies were English, French or German). It became coincidental and lost its implication of East vs. West once the eastern Tocharian was discovered to be centum.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version