Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6717 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 17 of 17
11 March 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I became interested in learning languages long before I found this forum. But it wasn't until I found Prof.Arguelles posts on this forum that I became dedicated to learning languages. His shadowing technique helped me become conversational in Japanese, his learning routine (the 2am-8am period in Korea) shaped the way I approached learning and time management, his praise for the Assimil series led to my own Assimil collection (seven books so far), he was probably the first rolemodel I had for learning languages.

Since then I have found a couple of role models:
-Barry Farber: Inspirational. A good read if you need some motivation.
-Iversen: Love his wordlist technique and general approach to language learning.
-antimoon: I doubt that I'd have made it through the Heisig books without Supermemo.
-AJATT: For inspiration and motivation, less so for techniques. By the time I discovered his website I had already implemented Supermemo in my routine and watched Japanese movies and TV-Dramas on a daily basis. Nevertheless, a site I recommend to anybody who wants to know how he should start learning Japanese.
-Luca: The first video where he spoke six (?)languages and the interview with Torbyrne confirmed my belief that it's possible to reach a native-like level in several languages.

I'm also surprised to see that so many members don't have any role models for the simple reason that I have a lot of role models in most areas of my life: In sports (Karate), film making (I closely model the approaches of my favourite film makers to master the basic structure before I try to do anything original), public speaking (I study videos of speakers that I admire to learn the patterns and gestures that they use).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version